[Ruling] Seven Stings Keep and dash skill characters

By Goateh, in L5R LCG: Rules Discussion

How does Seven Strings Keep interact with characters with limits on which conflicts they can participate in? If I activate SSK and my opponent declares a defender with a - in one of their skills, can I just make the conflict the opposite type to immediately send that character home bowed? If I have two characters with a - in Military and one with a - in Political, and I name "2" for the number, am I forced to declare a Political conflict to make it to the full 2? Or can I declare a military conflict and commit as many as I am capable of?

If your opponent declares a defender with a dash, and you declare the conflict type as being of that type, the defender is now an illegitimate participant and is sent home bowed.

If you have 2 characters with dash MIL and 1 character with dash POL and you name “2,” you must declare a POL conflict with your first two characters, as you must declare the named number of characters and the only legal way to do that is to declare a POL conflict. If you ever name a number higher than the number of characters who could legally declare as attackers, you must declare the conflict such that the greatest number of your characters is attacking (presumably all of them).

[Tyler Parrott, Jan 9 2020]

Edited by Goateh