HEALING TRANCE Talent

By BlackburnUTG, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

Hello there! I'm new to the system, and English is not my native language, so I have troubles trying to translate this talent.

The character may commit force dice.
For every full encounter force dice remains committed, the character heals 1 wound he is suffering per rank of Healing Trance. This is in addition to wounds healed due to natural rest or other abilities. If in a situation without defined encounters, the GM can have Healing Trance take effect every 12 hours.

- what this talent only do is: heals 1 additional wound (per rank) when the character performs any healing, right?

-

1 hour ago, BlackburnUTG said:

Hello there! I'm new to the system, and English is not my native language, so I have troubles trying to translate this talent.

- what this talent only do is: heals 1 additional wound (per rank) when the character performs any healing, right?

-

Not quite. What happens is if you commit a Force die through an entire encounter, you heal wounds equal to ranks. This is an independent effect from other methods of healing and the two do not interact.

When the talent says "in addition to" it is saying that it does not replace or cancel other abilities. So if you heal one wound through natural rest, you also heal one wound from Healing Trance. If you stay awake all night and don't get that boost from natural rest but still have the die committed, you heal one wound from Healing Trance.

Make sense?

9 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Not quite. What happens is if you commit a Force die through an entire encounter, you heal wounds equal to ranks. This is an independent effect from other methods of healing and the two do not interact.

When the talent says "in addition to" it is saying that it does not replace or cancel other abilities. So if you heal one wound through natural rest, you also heal one wound from Healing Trance. If you stay awake all night and don't get that boost from natural rest but still have the die committed, you heal one wound from Healing Trance.

Make sense?

thanks.

So, If I commit a Force die during encounter - I will heal 1 wound at the end of the encounter? or when?

And what "through an entire encounter " means? That means that this talent will work only if I commit force die in firsts rounds of battle, or I can commit it in last round - and still restore 1 wound?

Edited by BlackburnUTG
43 minutes ago, BlackburnUTG said:

thanks.

So, If I commit a Force die during encounter - I will heal 1 wound at the end of the encounter? or when?

And what "through an entire encounter " means? That means that this talent will work only if I commit force die in firsts rounds of battle, or I can commit it in last round - and still restore 1 wound?

Full encounter means the Force dice need to have been committed at some point before the encounter starts, not during the encounter. So for battles that means it's too late when you hear the words "roll initiative".

Also, encounters and battles are not synonyms. Usually most encounters are non-violent.

The way I read it, you get the healing not at the end of an encounter, but when you end the trance.

" For every full encounter force dice remains committed, the character heals 1"

The way I read it, the intention is that you enter the Healing Trance at any point, say, when the character wakes up in the morning, then throughout the day has a number of encounters, and when he uncommits the dice he heals x number of wounds.

2 hours ago, BlackburnUTG said:

thanks.

As an exception to the normal flow of play, I allow Force Dice to be committed to Healing Trance as an out-of-incidental immediately before rolling initiative. So long as those dice remain committed for the entire encounter, then the talent works as advertised.

4 hours ago, micheldebruyn said:

The way I read it, the intention is that you enter the Healing Trance at any point, say, when the character wakes up in the morning, then throughout the day has a number of encounters, and when he uncommits the dice he heals x number of wounds.

I don't think so. It says nothing about ending it, just "for [unit] recover X."

And it uses the present tense, "remains" not "remained." "for every full encounter Force die remains committed, the character heals 1 wound." I'm pretty sure if it was going to be when you uncommit the die, they'd use past tense.

I also think it makes more sense for it to be periodic. What sense does it make that they are spending all this time using the Force to mend their wounds (lets say, 60 hours), but don't have anything to show for it until they stop trying, and all of a sudden their wounds pop out of existence?

12 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

but don't have anything to show for it until they stop trying, and all of a sudden their wounds pop out of existence?

I see you too have played D&D 5e.

Just now, HappyDaze said:

I see you too have played D&D 5e.

I... have not actually.

59 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

I... have not actually.

Hit points are basically your "life bar" if D&D were a video game. You track hit point from your maximum down to zero. Getting hit removes a certain amount of hit points. You have limited spell resources that can be used for healing, and these typically replenish daily. However, just sleeping overnight (a "Long Rest") automatically brings everyone back up to full hit points.

5 minutes ago, HappyDaze said:

Hit points are basically your "life bar" if D&D were a video game. You track hit point from your maximum down to zero. Getting hit removes a certain amount of hit points. You have limited spell resources that can be used for healing, and these typically replenish daily. However, just sleeping overnight (a "Long Rest") automatically brings everyone back up to full hit points.

Ah. I understood the basics of hit points, but the full health overnight thing is new to me.

Wow that makes no sense.

43 minutes ago, HappyDaze said:

However, just sleeping overnight (a "Long Rest") automatically brings everyone back up to full hit points.

1082276751_5erules.PNG.235a22995457e054ba3059d610b6348d.PNG

49 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Ah. I understood the basics of hit points, but the full health overnight thing is new to me.

Wow that makes no sense.

It makes more sense when you factor in that loss of Hit Points is very similar to loss of wounds in this game: it's not supposed to represent serious injury.

1 hour ago, micheldebruyn said:

It makes more sense when you factor in that loss of Hit Points is very similar to loss of wounds in this game: it's not supposed to represent serious injury.

It takes more than one night's sleep to completely remove Wounds in this game. Even 8h in a bacta tank might not get rid of them all. Of course, every day you can slam down more stimpacks (healing potions) to get there faster, but regular rest is nowhere near on D&D 5e levels.

6 hours ago, HappyDaze said:

As an exception to the normal flow of play, I allow Force Dice to be committed to Healing Trance as an out-of-incidental immediately before rolling initiative. So long as those dice remain committed for the entire encounter, then the talent works as advertised.

and in which moment wounds will restore?

13 minutes ago, BlackburnUTG said:

There is no interpretation possible that this power gives you any benefit at all before Force dice have been committed for a full, complete encounter.

is this a bug or a feature?) how to use this then)

Edited by BlackburnUTG
54 minutes ago, BlackburnUTG said:

is this a bug of a feature?) how to use this then)

It's not a health potion kind of effect. It's a heal-over-time effect that heals you at the end of every COMPLETE encounter that it's active, or every 12 hours if you're not doing encounters and having a really quiet day.

So your character wakes up in the morning, activates the power, and then goes about his business.

Let's say throughout the day you first meet some Jawas who sell you two droids, then later one of them runs away and you fight some Sandpeople while looking for it, you then have a long conversation with a Jedi Master about your family. The Jedi Master then takes you to a pub where you get into a fight with a medical professional and his nurse. You then meet up with a space captain to book paasage to Alderaan. And finally you are in a chase scene with a couple of Star Destroyers.

That's six encounthers, each of them giving you some healing spread out over the day.

Edited by micheldebruyn
4 hours ago, BlackburnUTG said:

When you stop tracking initiative order, that's a sign the encounter is over.