Selfless List Tetris

By Cpt ObVus, in X-Wing Squad Lists

@GuacCousteau , @theBitterFig , @5050Saint , @JBFancourt

So I did a little homework on some likely Selfless Rebels. I ended up compiling a list of possible builds who might want it. Given that Biggs starts with built-in “super-Selfless,” and he’s i3, and formation flying is worlds easier with matching initiative, I decided to ONLY include i3’s in this list, as I figured Biggs would make a great starting point, and a lot of others who really caught my eye also happened to be i3, like Lowhhrick and Evaan Verlaine.

There were definitely a few other pilots of interest; both versions of Norra Wexley drew my eye, as did Wedge, Luke, and Thane Kyrell, and Ten or Braylen. But they’re all significantly more expensive than the high forties/low fifties break point I was looking at, or their initiatives don’t match up. Still, in the interest of possibly including an ace-y finisher later, there are a few units here that are a bit cheaper, and might make them work.

I included a lot of Shield Upgrades, and a couple of places to put Jyn Erso, who seems to play into the plan, but these are obviously cuttable.

I’m also sort of operating on the assumption that most (if not all) of the units in the list will want Selfless. This is, perhaps, not the case. But I kind of want to start my exploration of the idea by leaning into it HARD, and backing off it later. Did I miss any notables? Any ideas for starting points on which two, three, or four of these I might want to take and pair with each other or another piece like Wedge or Luke or anyone else? I’m immediately drawn to Biggs and the Blade B-Wings for efficiency, Lowhhrick, Kyle Katarn, and Evaan for their abilities, and the Gold Y-Wings (and also Evaan) for price (if I cut those Ion Turrets to Dorsal Turrets, they’re pretty bargain basement, and even more so if I cut the Shield Upgrades). Anyway, the list:

Possible Selfless i3’s

(47) Biggs Darklighter [T-65 X-wing]
(0) Servomotor S-foils
(5) Hull Upgrade

(40) Red Squadron Veteran [T-65 X-wing]
(0) Servomotor S-foils
(6) Shield Upgrade
(2) Selfless

(42) Blade Squadron Veteran [A/SF-01 B-wing]
(4) Shield Upgrade
(2) Selfless

(32) Gold Squadron Veteran [BTL-A4 Y-wing]
(4) Shield Upgrade
(2) Selfless
(5) Ion Cannon Turret

(35) Evaan Verlaine [BTL-A4 Y-wing]
(4) Shield Upgrade
(2) Selfless
(5) Ion Cannon Turret

(50) Lowhhrick [Auzituck Gunship]
(2) Jyn Erso
(2) Selfless

(46) K-2SO [UT-60D U-wing]
(0) Pivot Wing
(2) Selfless

(51) Cassian Andor [UT-60D U-wing]
(0) Pivot Wing
(2) Selfless

(31) Kyle Katarn [HWK-290 Light Freighter]
(2) Jyn Erso
(5) Hull Upgrade
(6) Shield Upgrade
(2) Selfless

(46) Ibtisam [ARC-170 Starfighter]
(2) Selfless

(28) Sabine Wren [TIE/ln Fighter]
(8) Shield Upgrade
(2) Selfless

(30) Green Squadron Pilot [RZ-1 A-wing]
(2) Selfless

(32) Arvel Crynyd [RZ-1 A-wing]
(2) Selfless
(3) Intimidation

And, what the ****?:

(76) "Leebo" [YT-2400 Light Freighter]
(2) Selfless

Edited by Cpt ObVus

I think the key with Selfless is to pay as little as possible for the health on the ship. The point is generally to be disposable.

• Blade B: 44/8 = 5.5 points per health
    • Lowest cost on a 3-red ship, by far.
    • With a shield upgrade, it goes to 48/9 = 5.33 points per health, which... actually... might be worth it.
      • Ibtisam is the same as Shielded Blade, and I kinda like Ibtisam, actually.
  • Red X : 42/6 = 7 points per health
    • Better mobility at the cost of efficiency.
    • Actually, shield makes it 48/7, for 6.86 points per health, which is cheaper. Huh. But then again, that's fewer points for the offense in the squad, and being sure to have something like Wedge or Luke to hit hard seems vital.
  • Tala Z: 26/4 = 6.5 points per health
    • Low offense, and not super efficient, but small total cost. Could almost fit 2 Tala Zs for 1 Blade. I think I'd rather have the Blade, but the mobility isn't bad.
  • Gold Y: 34/8 = 4.25 points per health
    • Lowest cost per health, but really anemic offense for the cost. Add a Turret, and maybe the time-on-target adds up, but then we're talking a higher cost differential.

Adding Jyn Erso and Evade actions is... eh. You still need to kill stuff, and that probably means Focus tokens for offense on ships.

Okay so I’m curious to try selfless As... I know this seems silly but juking that one crit around is actually pretty powerful on a 3 agility ship.

About the same as moving 2 hits off of a bwing if you will.

Like a group of 2-3 i1s with selfless

Hee hee

New Squadron

(28) Phoenix Squadron Pilot [RZ-1 A-wing]
(2) XX-23 S-Thread Tracers
(2) Selfless

(2) Selfless

(4) Cluster Missiles
(2) Selfless

(4) Cluster Missiles
(2) Selfless

(4) Cluster Missiles
(2) Selfless

(4) Cluster Missiles
(2) Selfless

Total points: 200

Edited by JBFancourt
38 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:
    • With a shield upgrade, it goes to 48/9 = 5.33 points per health, which... actually... might be worth it.
    • Actually, shield makes it 48/7, for 6.86 points per health, which is cheaper. Huh. But then again, that's fewer points for the offense in the squad, and being sure to have something like Wedge or Luke to hit hard seems vital.

These are the best choices with the Blade B-Wing taking the cake, with the same offensive output as the X, but also with more shields to take that Crit on. Ideally, they need to be sitting near a high priority (or at least juicier) target like Wedge so they tend to lend themselves to formation flying. Formation flying is dangerous because it makes your movements predictable, which is the greatest argument for making this a 1 point upgrade.

Chewbacca is a curiously decent carrier for Selfless since he can turn that crit down, but as he is a priority target, folks will likely shoot at him instead. Also, if you are flying a Falcon, you should be taking Leia, Lando, or Han.

1 hour ago, theBitterFig said:

I think the key with Selfless is to pay as little as possible for the health on the ship. The point is generally to be disposable.

• Tala Z: 26/4 = 6.5 points per health
    • Low offense, and not super efficient, but small total cost. Could almost fit 2 Tala Zs for 1 Blade. I think I'd rather have the Blade, but the mobility isn't bad.
  • Gold Y: 34/8 = 4.25 points per health
    • Lowest cost per health, but really anemic offense for the cost. Add a Turret, and maybe the time-on-target adds up, but then we're talking a higher cost differential.

Adding Jyn Erso and Evade actions is... eh. You still need to kill stuff, and that probably means Focus tokens for offense on ships.

Using your analysis, Ibtisam w/Shield or Hull Upgrade is 5.2 or 5.1 points per health; better than a Blade B-Wing, and one of the largest health pools you can get for Selfless, with a 3-red front and 2-red aft attack. And he sheds 50% of his stress. Seems good. Keeping him in formation might be a challenge, though.

The U-Wings end up costing about 6 points per health, with or without Shield Upgrades. That’s a bit better than the Red Squadron Veteran, with a deeper health pool, and the same 2 Agility and 3 Attack.

Evaan Verlaine with Shield Upgrade and Ion Turret comes in at 5.1, and I really like her ability. With a downgrade to Dorsal Turret, she’s more like 4.8 points, which is very good.

Biggs actually comes out pretty poorly in this analysis: ~7.4 with a Hull Upgrade, and more like 7.8 without. But he can suck up regular hits as well as criticals, which means he’s literally always ‘on.’ Probably worth it.

Edited by Cpt ObVus

The pure cost efficiency of Gold Y-Wings seems very attractive. Maybe squeezing one or two in alongside a Blade, or two Blades and a Gold, then running that with an Ace or the Falcon might work?

But man, it’s like, the Rebels just don’t have a Soontir Fel, a Fenn Rau, a Vonreg, or a Vader. Luke and Wedge just don’t compare, The T-65 X-Wing feels... limited.

Thing about Gold Ys is that they don't have any offensive efficiency. The list just won't kill stuff well enough.

So, critique these, if you will...

Selfless i3’s & Wedge

(42) Blade Squadron Veteran [A/SF-01 B-wing]
(0) Jamming Beam
(3) Hull Upgrade
(2) Selfless

(4) Shield Upgrade
(2) Selfless
(5) Ion Cannon Turret

(0) Servomotor S-foils
(5) Hull Upgrade

(54) Wedge Antilles [T-65 X-wing]
(0) Servomotor S-foils

Total points: 199

// OR //

Selfless i3’s, Bandit, & Wedge

(0) Servomotor S-foils

(0) Servomotor S-foils

(32) Gold Squadron Veteran [BTL-A4 Y-wing]
(2) Selfless
(2) Dorsal Turret

(2) Selfless
(2) Dorsal Turret

(22) Bandit Squadron Pilot [Z-95-AF4 Headhunter]

Total points: 200

The first list has just four ships, but they all have a 3-die attack of some kind, and each one is pretty tanky.

The second list trades quality for quantity, with fewer upgrades on each ship, Dorsal Turrets instead of Ion Turrets, and only two 3-die attacks from Biggs & Wedge, while the Y-Wings and the Bandit Z-95 can only muster two dice each. The big advantage here is the XX-23 S-Thread Tracers on the Bandit, with which I hope to increase the offense I can muster.

9 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

Thing about Gold Ys is that they don't have any offensive efficiency. The list just won't kill stuff well enough.

That’s why I almost never fly Y’s without Ion Turrets, or occasionally a torpedo. I’m usually willing to trade a little damage for ionizing somebody. But I agree, their offense lacks a bit.

Why does it seem like a bunch of Academy TIEs can tear you apart, but A-Wings and Y-Wings seem weak?

Okay, so there's a whole point I want to make here that I might take to the Selfless thread, but the essence is that I'm not sure that raw numercial efficiency vs only health actually gives you a complete picture of how the talent works on the table.

Basically, looking at how much health a B-Wing and an X-Wing have and saying how many times each can use Selfless is only worthwhile if you're assuming that you will always get through all that health using Selfless. If a B-Wing and an X-Wing only trigger Selfless twice each during a game, then they're as efficient as each other as in both cases all you've lost is two shields.

Agility is relevant here too.

The aim of Selfless is to keep as many ships alive as long as possible. I think there's an argument to be made that Selfless is less about how much damage a single ship can take, and more about the rate at which it takes damage and whether or not that rate is low enough that you can add to it by including an additional source of damage via Selfless.

If a B-Wing voluntarily takes two points of damage from Selfless, then two 3 hit attacks it can't block with it's crappy agility, it's just as dead as an X-Wing facing those same shots. Of course, this is better accounted for with lower attack rolls. Taking two damage a turn, a B-Wing will only last one turn more than an X-Wing. But for three of those turns, an X-Wing has a better chance of turning that two damage into one or even zero damage.

This is getting long winded, but essentially what I'm trying to say is that an X-Wing able to nullify a two damage attack with a two evade roll is more likely to be okay taking a crit on the shield for someone else than a B-Wing that's steadily losing one HP per round even with the best possible defensive rolls.

Just gonna chuck a list out there and you can see what you think. I've only had chance to test it in a couple of Fly Casual games, but I think it has legs.

Wedge Antilles (54)
Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Ship total: 54 Half Points: 27 Threshold: 3

Luke Skywalker (61)
Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Ship total: 61 Half Points: 31 Threshold: 3

Biggs Darklighter (47)
Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Ship total: 47 Half Points: 24 Threshold: 3

Gold Squadron Veteran (32)
Selfless (2)
R5 Astromech (4)

Ship total: 38 Half Points: 19 Threshold: 4

Total: 200

Might be better with Predator on Wedge and Dorsal on the GSV, but boy is this an unattractive block of ships to be facing.

The key here is understanding that Selfless and the Y as a whole are really only here to get you through the first couple of turns of engagement.

Luke is soooo hard to kill with Biggs and a Selfless Y nearby, but he's also a real end game threat to anyone not named Soontir Fel or Darth Vader. If you don't go for him early, he'll make you pay later. But if you go for him early, he's hanging around long enough to distract a lot of attention away from Wedge, and Wedge is great at punishing you in the early game.

The easiest ship to kill here is Biggs, but if you kill Biggs then he's just doing his job of letting Wedge and Luke kill you.

Once you've got through a couple of ships and Biggs and the GSV are probably looking the worse for wear, if not dead, then you're totally free to send Luke and Wedge off out on their own. If they go after Luke and Wedge, as they should, then the GSV can repair a couple of hull points back.

IMO, the key to list building with Selfless is not to try and analyse its performance on one ship - it's to look at the list as a whole. That either means lots of copies of Selfless for lots of damage sharing, or it means using it smartly to protect the right ships. The ship itself I don't really think is that relevant. Looking at Selfless ships as a hull battery to chew through isn't how it will play out.

Edited by GuacCousteau
1 hour ago, GuacCousteau said:

Okay, so there's a whole point I want to make here that I might take to the Selfless thread, but the essence is that I'm not sure that raw numercial efficiency vs only health actually gives you a complete picture of how the talent works on the table.

Basically, looking at how much health a B-Wing and an X-Wing have and saying how many times each can use Selfless is only worthwhile if you're assuming that you will always get through all that health using Selfless. If a B-Wing and an X-Wing only trigger Selfless twice each during a game, then they're as efficient as each other as in both cases all you've lost is two shields.

Agility is relevant here too.

The aim of Selfless is to keep as many ships alive as long as possible. I think there's an argument to be made that Selfless is less about how much damage a single ship can take, and more about the rate at which it takes damage and whether or not that rate is low enough that you can add to it by including an additional source of damage via Selfless.

If a B-Wing voluntarily takes two points of damage from Selfless, then two 3 hit attacks it can't block with it's crappy agility, it's just as dead as an X-Wing facing those same shots. Of course, this is better accounted for with lower attack rolls. Taking two damage a turn, a B-Wing will only last one turn more than an X-Wing. But for three of those turns, an X-Wing has a better chance of turning that two damage into one or even zero damage.

This is getting long winded, but essentially what I'm trying to say is that an X-Wing able to nullify a two damage attack with a two evade roll is more likely to be okay taking a crit on the shield for someone else than a B-Wing that's steadily losing one HP per round even with the best possible defensive rolls.

Just gonna chuck a list out there and you can see what you think. I've only had chance to test it in a couple of Fly Casual games, but I think it has legs.

Wedge Antilles (54)
Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Ship total: 54 Half Points: 27 Threshold: 3

Luke Skywalker (61)
Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Ship total: 61 Half Points: 31 Threshold: 3

Biggs Darklighter (47)
Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Gold Squadron Veteran (32)
Selfless (2)
R5 Astromech (4)

Ship total: 38 Half Points: 19 Threshold: 4

Might be better with Predator on Wedge and Dorsal on the GSV, but boy is this an unattractive block of ships to be facing.

The key here is understanding that Selfless and the Y as a whole are really only here to get you through the first couple of turns of engagement.

Luke is soooo hard to kill with Biggs and a Selfless Y nearby, but he's also a real end game threat to anyone not named Soontir Fel or Darth Vader. If you don't go for him early, he'll make you pay later. But if you go for him early, he's hanging around long enough to distract a lot of attention away from Wedge, and Wedge is great at punishing you in the early game.

The easiest ship to kill here is Biggs, but if you kill Biggs then he's just doing his job of letting Wedge and Luke kill you.

Once you've got through a couple of ships and Biggs and the GSV are probably looking the worse for wear, if not dead, then you're totally free to send Luke and Wedge off out on their own. If they go after Luke and Wedge, as they should, then the GSV can repair a couple of hull points back.

IMO, the key to list building with Selfless is not to try and analyse its performance on one ship - it's to look at the list as a whole. That either means lots of copies of Selfless for lots of damage sharing, or it means using it smartly to protect the right ships. The ship itself I don't really think is that relevant. Looking at Selfless ships as a hull battery to chew through isn't how it will play out.

Right. All of this makes sense as well.

It’s interesting, when I was doing the analysis in my head for Selfless, I was sort of automatically counting the Agility values for all ships involved as zero, because that’s how much confidence I have in rolling any evades at all, ever. :) There is, of course, a mathematical advantage to having more agility, I just refuse to count on it. In any event, it’s not like most hits are critical hits anyway; mathematically speaking, they’re relatively rare, although there are many methods folks use to increase their frequency.

I like the list you posted. Actually seems very strong!

So I put some of the theorycraft on a table in TTS this afternoon, and played a buddy who brought Turr Phennir and four Saber Interceptors with Marksmanship. It was a lot of reds and greens to contend with. Here was my list:

Ten, Blount, Biggs, Wedge

(48) Ten Numb [A/SF-01 B-wing]
(3) Autoblasters
(0) Jamming Beam
(2) Stabilized S-foils
(2) Fire-Control System
(2) Selfless

(30) Lieutenant Blount [Z-95-AF4 Headhunter]
(2) Selfless

(0) Servomotor S-foils
(2) Selfless

(4) R5 Astromech
(0) Servomotor S-foils

Total points: 198

In the first of two games, he took second player, and we both flew around in tight formation for several turns, jockeying for position. I finally got the drop on him when two of his Interceptors were out of range.. It took everything I could muster, but I managed to initiative-kill one Saber before he could shoot, and my advantage cascaded from there; I lost nothing but half on Wedge and wiped him out.

In the second game, he wisely chose first player, and set up directly across from me in an open lane along the side; he wanted a joust, and I gave it to him. After a relatively bloodless opening salvo, there were a LOT of unmodified missed shots and messy bumps, as everyone basically spent the next 3-4 turns stressed from turnaround maneuvers and repositions. When the smoke cleared, it was a desperate and hopelessly outgunned Blount facing two undamaged Interceptors, and I’d lost. It could easily have gone the other way, though; my reds really abandoned me in the late game with Ten twice rolling one hit and three blanks on range 1 bullseyed Autoblasters shots, and twice having to take an extra turn to turn around and shed Stress that he could have dropped had he rolled even one eye. Blount also consistently failed to land his Thread Tracers attack, leaving me without much-needed locks.

The Selfless mechanic was frankly fantastic. It (and Biggs) far outperformed my expectations, and will definitely add a new dimension to my Rebel lists in the future. The R5 Astromech was also a rockstar on Biggs, tossing two damage cards off him and keeping him over half points.

I STILL think Selfless could stand to drop to 1 point, or scale between 1-2 points based on total ship health, or agility, or something. When the gold standard for “awesome faction talent” is Heroic (which doesn’t ask for tricky formation flying or tough in-game decision making, and costs only 1-2 points), it feels like they could throw the Rebels a bone here. But at two points, Selfless is definitely usable, and even makes some sense on a guy like Blount (spending two points on his Selfless is basically adding two shields to the pool before your ships start taking face-up cards, which is worth it).

In any event, thanks to those who’ve helped me level up my Rebel game. They are, perhaps, in a better spot than I had thought before today... though they still badly need a bit of help with some of their core platforms, particularly the A-Wing. Where the **** is Tycho Celchu? He’s one of the best Rebel fighter pilots in Armada, and yet is entirely absent here. Seems like an excellent opportunity to level-up the RZ-1 with an i6 pilot, and a potentially stronger carrier for Thread Tracers than Blount. And just for the record, an i5 Hera Syndulla RZ-1 would be welcome too!

Edited by Cpt ObVus

For my last few games I've been using these guys...

Wedge Antilles (54)
Shield Upgrade (6)
Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Red Squadron Veteran (40)
Selfless (2)
Shield Upgrade (6)
Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Selfless (2)
Shield Upgrade (6)
Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Total: 156

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Rebel Alliance&d=v8ZsZ200Z5XWWW165W142Y2X130WWW165W142Y2X130WWW165W142&sn=Selfless Squad v3&obs=

I fly them in a block of three and so far they've done really well! My 'problem' is that I haven't quite worked what the fourth ship should be.

4 hours ago, BCooper85 said:

For my last few games I've been using these guys...

Wedge Antilles (54)
Shield Upgrade (6)
Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Selfless (2)
Shield Upgrade (6)
Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Selfless (2)
Shield Upgrade (6)
Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Total: 156

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Rebel Alliance&d=v8ZsZ200Z5XWWW165W142Y2X130WWW165W142Y2X130WWW165W142&sn=Selfless Squad v3&obs=

I fly them in a block of three and so far they've done really well! My 'problem' is that I haven't quite worked what the fourth ship should be.

Biggs. Drop one of the Shield Upgrades, add Biggs, and move the other Shield Upgrade to Biggs. Even better, drop both Shield Upgrades, add Biggs with an R5 Astromech. It’s a phenomenal combo.

Biggs does everything this list wants. He can absorb two damage in a single turn, if you need him to. He can take criticals or regular hits. He’s excellent for this list, and he even matches initiative with the Red Squad Vets.

I have seen the light on Selfless. I’ve frustrated my friends with it several times. It screws up their target priorities badly, and it’s just hard to fight. Biggs is fantastic in it.

5 hours ago, Cpt ObVus said:

I have seen the light on Selfless.

Preach on brother! Hallelujah!!!

You can even give Wedge an R4.

Selfless X-wings

(6) R5-D8
(0) Servomotor S-foils
(6) Shield Upgrade

(2) R4 Astromech
(0) Servomotor S-foils

(0) Servomotor S-foils
(2) Selfless

(0) Servomotor S-foils
(2) Selfless

Edited by LUZ_TAK
5 hours ago, LUZ_TAK said:

Preach on brother! Hallelujah!!!

You can even give Wedge an R4.

Selfless X-wings

(6) R5-D8
(0) Servomotor S-foils
(6) Shield Upgrade

(2) R4 Astromech
(0) Servomotor S-foils

(0) Servomotor S-foils
(2) Selfless

(0) Servomotor S-foils
(2) Selfless

I think I’d rather give Wedge Selfless, actually. Obviously, he’s the last guy you want to be taking hits, but if it’s the difference between Biggs’s last hull point and a shield on Wedge, it’s a good option.

I have been playing with 4X and selfless and stumbled upon this gem. Thoughts?

Wedge Antilles (54)
Hull Upgrade (5)
Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Ship total: 59 Half Points: 30 Threshold: 4

Selfless (2)
R2 Astromech (5)
Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Selfless (2)
R2 Astromech (5)
Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Selfless (2)
R2 Astromech (5)
Servomotor S-Foils (0)

30 minutes ago, Amc879 said:

I have been playing with 4X and selfless and stumbled upon this gem. Thoughts?

Wedge Antilles (54)
Hull Upgrade (5)
Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Ship total: 59 Half Points: 30 Threshold: 4

Selfless (2)
R2 Astromech (5)
Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Selfless (2)
R2 Astromech (5)
Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Selfless (2)
R2 Astromech (5)
Servomotor S-Foils (0)

With so much damage sharing around, an extra hull for Wedge? Wouldnt it be better a more attack or movement upgrade?

I would still fly the Biggs version better.

17 minutes ago, LUZ_TAK said:

With so much damage sharing around, an extra hull for Wedge? Wouldnt it be better a more attack or movement upgrade?

I would still fly the Biggs version better.

Could swap the hull for swarm tactics to get 2 shots at i6?