Amanda Sharpe

By brolim, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

Hello all. I'm playing for the first time Amanda. I have a few questions. It says that I have to discard beneath Amanda the card that I draw and I have to choose another card for my hand and place it beneath her. Then I can commit both cards at the skill test or only one? Also it says that the card is not discarded so overpowered f.e won't give me an extra card if the skill test is successful?

Edited by brolim

The card you discard from beneath her is not the card you draw; they're two separate effects. "Discard the card beneath Amanda Sharpe" actually means that you discard the card from beneath Amanda. If there's no card there, nothing happens. Then you choose a card from your hand, which now has 1 extra card in it, and place it beneath Amanda. There should only ever be 1 card beneath Amanda.

Overpower's draw will trigger if you succeed, even though it will be placed back under Amanda instead of being discarded. This is because Amanda's effect only replaces the discard for committed cards, but has no effect on the card's text.

Hope that helps!

Edit: I also wanted to mention that Amanda's effect makes her the second Seeker that can draw a weakness before the game even starts, the first being Norman. Quite the club they're in.

Edited by SGPrometheus

thanks a lot for the information but I have one question why I will draw a card from overpowered but the same thing won't happen with Silas ?

50 minutes ago, SGPrometheus said:

The card you discard from beneath her is not the card you draw; they're two separate effects. "Discard the card beneath Amanda Sharpe" actually means that you discard the card from beneath Amanda. If there's no card there, nothing happens. Then you choose a card from your hand, which now has 1 extra card in it, and place it beneath Amanda. There should only ever be 1 card beneath Amanda.

Overpower's draw will trigger if you succeed, even though it will be placed back under Amanda instead of being discarded. This is because Amanda's effect only replaces the discard for committed cards, but has no effect on the card's text.

Hope that helps!

Edit: I also wanted to mention that Amanda's effect makes her the second Seeker that can draw a weakness before the game even starts, the first being Norman. Quite the club they're in.

I had that happen with the 'debt repaid' weakness cycle so that was fun 😄

54 minutes ago, brolim said:

thanks a lot for the information but I have one question why I will draw a card from overpowered but the same thing won't happen with Silas ?

In Silas' case, when you use his reaction bounce the skill card back to your hand you're doing it before the relevant point in the timing of a skill test for effects like the one on Overpowered to register a trigger. You've got the advantage of seeing if your check can pass - or fail by the right amount, given he's a Survivor - before you decide if losing the card from your hand is worthwhile.

In Amanda's case, the card basically gains a "When this skill test ends, return this card to under your character card" ability, which you would trigger after Overpowered realises the test was successful and that you have to draw a card.

Also, brolim - if you're going to continue to play Silas, look up the Skill Test timing chart on pages 26 & 27 of the Rules Reference document

Someone might correct me here, but I believe Silas' character ability would trigger at ST.3 or ST.4, as the card shouldn't be present in time for ST.5.

Overpowered would trigger on ST.7, while Amanda's ability would trigger on ST.8.

Aside - whoever thought having Amanda and Mandy as characters - in the same class, no less! - needs someone to "have a word" with them. Talk about needless confusion...