What counts as the "effect" of a bomb?

By mightynute, in X-Wing Rules Questions

Specifically concerning Sabine Wren crew, who says: After a ship suffers the effect of a friendly bomb

For Seismic Charges, Ion Bombs, Concussion Bombs, Proton Bombs, and Electro-Proton Bombs it is obvious - when the ship takes either damage or a token or loses a shield.

But for Bomblet Generator and Thermal Detonators, does Sabine trigger when the ship rolls the dice or only if they take damage/strain? Is rolling the dice part of the effect of being within range 1 of the bomb when it detonates?

Rolling the dice is part of the effect of the bomb.

For 1e games, i've always gone with "As soon as the damage is dealt'. SO for proxi mines/cluster mines and the like, only if they dealt damage out did sabine kick in. For all the other bombs, we ran it that she kicked in after damage was dealt by the bomb.

11 hours ago, Maui. said:

Rolling the dice is part of the effect of the bomb.

Yes, I agree.

Also worth noting: Even if you roll all blanks the game state can still change because the roll occurred, e.g. a player might spend Force from Dooku crew to ensure one dice is blank.

Capture.png
rules reference page 10. it doesn't matter if any damage is suffered, if any tokens are assigned or anything, if you're in range of the bomb effect when it detonates, you suffer it's effects. that's even if you have and use ablative plating as far as i can tell. the effects of bombs and mines are listed on page 23 and 24 of the rules reference, keeping in mind that sabine will only trigger off of bombs of course.

Edited by meffo
*bomb effect
7 hours ago, meffo said:

that's even if you have and use ablative plating as far as i can tell.

Agreed.

"Before you would suffer damage from an obstacle or from a friendly bomb detonating"

Its specific to the damage, not the effects as a whole. IE, Plating would not prevent you from Skipping your perform action step after overlapping an asteroid, regardless if you used it to avoid the damage or not.

Edited by Lyianx
13 hours ago, meffo said:

Capture.png
rules reference page 10. it doesn't matter if any damage is suffered, if any tokens are assigned or anything, if you're in range of the bomb when it detonates, you suffer it's effects. that's even if you have and use ablative plating as far as i can tell. the effects of bombs and mines are listed on page 23 and 24 of the rules reference, keeping in mind that sabine will only trigger off of bombs of course.

This gets a little weird with Seismic Charge:

• If you are in Range 1 of the bomb token, but NOT of the obstacle that explodes, you're not suffering any effects from the bomb; therefore, Sabine has no trigger.
  • If you are beyond Range 1 of the bomb token, but you ARE within Range 1 of the selected obstacle, you DO suffer the effects of the bomb, and Sabine works.
8 hours ago, emeraldbeacon said:

This gets a little weird with Seismic Charge:

• If you are in Range 1 of the bomb token, but NOT of the obstacle that explodes, you're not suffering any effects from the bomb; therefore, Sabine has no trigger.
  • If you are beyond Range 1 of the bomb token, but you ARE within Range 1 of the selected obstacle, you DO suffer the effects of the bomb, and Sabine works.

ok, not well enough described by me. i'll change it to "in range of the bomb effect". being in range of the obstacle is being in range of the bomb effect. at what range you are to the bomb token has no consequence with seismics.

Capture.png