Fifth brother and thread tracers missiles

By missileaway, in X-Wing Rules Questions

I don’t know that we’ve ever had an official ruing on if Fifth brother pilot can add a crit after results are cancelled for Mag Pulse, so I’ll kick up the same question to see if he can add a crit after results are cancelled for thread tracers. Thoughts?

swz66_fifth-brother.png

swz81_upgrade_s-tread-tracers.png

82108AE2-9FE2-4E0C-8534-5DE2A6932A1B.png

1B0E4239-0DCB-4DF5-84DE-6927E267B7CF.webp

That's a good one. I'd say maybe? This all occurs in step 5 "Deal Damage":

5. Deal Damage: If the attack hits, the defender suffers damage for each uncanceled 󲁧 and 󲁨 result in the following order:

a. The defender suffers 1 󲁧 damage for each uncanceled 󲁧 result. Then cancel all 󲁧 results.

b. The defender suffers 1 󲁨 damage for each uncanceled 󲁨 result. Then cancel all 󲁨 results.

If:

A: Thread tracers fully resolves 1st, then Fifth Brother adds his crit, it'll deal one crit.

B: If Fifth Brother resolves 1st then thread tracers will cancel his crit.

I'd lean toward towards A.

Not sure if it's applicable, but we may be able to take precedence from the Kanan ruling:

Q: If a ship that is equipped with Kanan Jarrus [ 󲁒 ] uses Inertial Dampeners [Illicit] to perform a white stationary maneuver, in which order to Kanan's ability and the "gain 1 stress token" portion of Inertial Dampeners' ability occur?

A: Both abilities have the same timing window: after the ship executes the maneuver. Thus, after the ship executes the white stationary maneuver,
if the player chooses to spend one Force charge to activate Kanan, two abilities enter the ability queue: Inertial Dampeners' "gain 1 stress token" and Kanan Jarrus' "remove 1 stress token." The player who controls both effects determines the order they enter the queue, and then the abilities resolve in that order. If a player wants the ship to gain and then remove a stress token, Inertial Dampeners' ability should be placed into the queue before Kanan's ability.

Edited by Yank01
Expanded info

Both triggered by "if the (this) attack hits", but "cancel all dice results" is preceeded by "then". So, adding results and granting Locks would occur at this time. I think that after ALL results are added, THEN they would be canceled.

Tracer triggers when the attack hits. That's during the Neutralize Result step.

Fifth Bother triggers after the Neutralize Result step. That's after Tracer.

The combo works.

32 minutes ago, NerroSama said:

Tracer triggers when the attack hits. That's during the Neutralize Result step.

Fifth Bother triggers after the Neutralize Result step. That's after Tracer.

The combo works.

Yep. I think you are correct.

Didn't we go over essentially this with Mag-Pulse Warheads? It was the same there, the hits are cancelled first, then 5Bro adds his crit.

Worth noting that Ion Missiles works differently, and 5B's added crit would inflict an Ion Token.

20 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

Didn't we go over essentially this with Mag-Pulse Warheads? It was the same there, the hits are cancelled first, then 5Bro adds his crit.

Worth noting that Ion Missiles works differently, and 5B's added crit would inflict an Ion Token.

Yep. Same conclusion, but shorter discussion since it was already hashed out there. I think OP was looking to confirm equivalence and check if there had been any official ruling/clarification or if it's still just by consensus.

Hope I didn't come across as too confrontational or dismissive.