Are solo rules dead?

By Spacemutiny, in X-Wing

Hi! I’m primarily a solo gamer and was excited that FFG released an alpha for solo rules but this seems to be dead in the water as far as updates and with the move of their miniatures game lines to another developer. Anyone hear any news about this I may be missing? Thanks!

Who knows what's going to happen with the move, to anything.

Seems best to chill for the time being. L ast update to solo play was only two months ago anyhow, and even there wasn't a shift in developers, I wouldn't really have expected news for a another few months.

The last update was in Sept. With the shuffling of the product line to a new team, it may be a bit longer before we hear something new, but Atomic Mass Games has out out solo/coop for Marvel Crisis Protocol, so its likely that they will continue to work on them for X-Wing when the dust settles and they get development moving again.

Edited by kris40k
8 hours ago, kris40k said:

The last update was in Sept. With the shuffling of the product line to a new team, it may be a bit longer before we hear something new, but Atomic Mass Games has out out solo/coop for Marvel Crisis Protocol, so its likely that they will continue to work on them for X-Wing when the dust settles and they get development moving again.

They've also said in the organised play announcement that they want to feature alternate game modes and narrative events, which might signal that they want to focus a bit more on campaign / narrative-type stuff in general. Solo / coop would obviously be a much better fit for that than if they were focused on standard tournament play.

On 11/28/2020 at 4:22 AM, Spacemutiny said:

Hi! I’m primarily a solo gamer and was excited that FFG released an alpha for solo rules but this seems to be dead in the water as far as updates and with the move of their miniatures game lines to another developer. Anyone hear any news about this I may be missing? Thanks!

The solo rules were labeled as alpha stage on purpose, both versions - calling for user input for internal development, far from release. Probably this was made public as a reaction to the pandemic situation, otherwise I don't know of any public alpha-testing for FFG games?

Even without the move to a new studio, I wouldn't have expected regular updates or an official product featuring solo mode before mid-2021. An early announcement by AMG - maybe.

36 minutes ago, Canopus said:

The solo rules were labeled as alpha stage on purpose, both versions - calling for user input for internal development, far from release. Probably this was made public as a reaction to the pandemic situation, otherwise I don't know of any public alpha-testing for FFG games?

Yeah, pretty much this. With events out of the picture for the foreseeable future, I'm guessing FFG just wanted to give players something to keep them engaged.