Jedi ace training

By 01jbell, in X-Wing Squad Lists

Hi all

I am trying to improve my ace flying so came up with a 3 Jedi ace list. What are people's opinion on it. As I want some thing that can be a good list as don't want to hamper my self at the first hurdle.

Obi-Wan Kenobi (ETA-2) (49)
Juke (7)
Ion Cannon (6)
Stealth Device (8)

Ship total: 70 Half Points: 35 Threshold: 2

Aayla Secura (51)
Juke (7)
Ion Cannon (6)
Stealth Device (8)

Ship total: 72 Half Points: 36 Threshold: 2

Luminara Unduli (42)
C1-10P (8)
Calibrated Laser Targeting (3)

Ship total: 53 Half Points: 27 Threshold: 2

Total: 195

This gives me two I5s and a 5 point bid. Even then with two ion cannons and c1-10p means I could keep ships Joned for a while, so even if I lose the bid I just need a bit of luck some where and could ion lock another ace.

But any one with more experience or tips would be greatly appreciated

As my limited experience with trying to fly aces goes badly.

I don't like Juke. It's really expensive, and frequently isn't even that good. Spending your single normal action on an Evade token each turn is really limiting. There will be times it's fine, others where you'd do better to do something else, then your expensive Juke goes to waste.

Instead, I'd go Predator + Brilliant Evasion. Aalya and BE go together quite naturally--she turns a friendly ship's die to a focus, and BE handles two focus results. Predator is going to dovetail nicely with what you already want to do: get bullseyes. Ion sets those up, Predator provides the payoff and reward. You'll also be more free with your actions to Boost or Roll if need be.

This frees up points to upgrade Luminara (is there a specific reason for her here?) to Plo Koon, to get three Init 5s.

• Aalya (Brilliant Evasion, Predator, Ion Cannon, Stealth Device) 69
  • ETA Obi-Wan (Brilliant Evasion, Predator, Ion Cannon, Stealth Device) 67
  • Plo Koon (Brilliant Evasion, C1-10P, CLT) 59
    • Bid 5

I don't know whether Ion Cannon is great. It's nice to have a 3-dice attack when you don't have bullseye, but I don't know whether it'd be better than, say, R5 Astro to remove damage cards. However, it's a new ship, seems worth trying, and probably helps line up some nice and easy Bullseye shots.

On 11/27/2020 at 7:00 PM, theBitterFig said:

I don't like Juke. It's really expensive, and frequently isn't even that good. Spending your single normal action on an Evade token each turn is really limiting. There will be times it's fine, others where you'd do better to do something else, then your expensive Juke goes to waste.

Instead, I'd go Predator + Brilliant Evasion. Aalya and BE go together quite naturally--she turns a friendly ship's die to a focus, and BE handles two focus results. Predator is going to dovetail nicely with what you already want to do: get bullseyes. Ion sets those up, Predator provides the payoff and reward. You'll also be more free with your actions to Boost or Roll if need be.

This frees up points to upgrade Luminara (is there a specific reason for her here?) to Plo Koon, to get three Init 5s.

• Aalya (Brilliant Evasion, Predator, Ion Cannon, Stealth Device) 69
  • ETA Obi-Wan (Brilliant Evasion, Predator, Ion Cannon, Stealth Device) 67
  • Plo Koon (Brilliant Evasion, C1-10P, CLT) 59
    • Bid 5

I don't know whether Ion Cannon is great. It's nice to have a 3-dice attack when you don't have bullseye, but I don't know whether it'd be better than, say, R5 Astro to remove damage cards. However, it's a new ship, seems worth trying, and probably helps line up some nice and easy Bullseye shots.

You may be right with Juke, it does seem to cost a lot and may not be the best use of points.

the original idea Luminara was to help against those crits just in case as her ability to make a crit a hit could be helpful as a 3 hull ship one crit could be a killer.

However the all I5 list I do like, I need to try and give it a ago and see how it works.

I might drop Brilliant Evasion off plo Koon and change Brilliant evasion on Obi to sense as I feel the ETA and Sense is great as they both work at the same time and makes it easier to block low I ships.

but need to get out and start testing rather then theory crafting :P

So for ETA Jedi, Juke is actually pretty good! 2 juke attack against the same target, gives you a comparable damage output to ion cannon, with a slighty higher spike. However 3 juke attack against the same target will give you a better return on juke, for only a point more. (Using 2 dice attack as the calculation for juke, as I was in mind of comparing an attack out of bulleyes for which upgrade was better to improve the potshot you take. Of course, if you can line up the bulleyes, you'll see a much better return on juke attack compare to the max of 3 damage that comes with 3 ion cannon shots.)

Other than that, stealth device is cool on jedi, but really, 3 green dice, 3 force, 1 evade is already pretty impervious to damage. Even on a total blank, you will survive (barring crits) at least one attack. And most of the time, you'll completely negate the first 3 dice attack that comes your way.
Personally, the good action to take on a ETA is always evade anyway, so Juke is also a constant reminder : ''Oh you were thinking of doing something else? Don't. Just take evade and take no risk at all.''

This let's you do this :

Anakin Skywalker + Juke + R5 Astromech /
Obi-Wan Kenobi + Sense + Juke + R5 Astromech /
Aayla Secura + Brilliant Evasion + Juke + R5 Astromech /

Lots of damage potential. Each jedi is easily able to run away and heal whenever they take any damage and come back full health. Can also turn off messy crits like hard turns or -1 defense. You can trigger sense / intuitive in any order with obi if you need to boost to get a free sense on someone, and that will lets you decide how to intuitive with the rest of your list. The bid is also less a concern with sense. If you're good with Ayla Secura, you can also really make the whole list way harder to damage by basically never blanking out.

5 hours ago, DarthSempai said:

Anakin Skywalker + Juke + R5 Astromech /
Obi-Wan Kenobi + Sense + Juke + R5 Astromech /
Aayla Secura + Brilliant Evasion + Juke + R5 Astromech /

Everything about that post made sense.

And when I see it stripped down to basically the 3 most obviously disgusting things, Juke, Regen, Dial Peek pre-positioning, I can only imagine that this is absolutely the best thing to do with 3 Jedi.

I hate it and I want it.

Does this need to be a 3 Jedi list, or just an ace list with Jedi? Because to be honest, I don't think bringing 3 Jedi is a very good idea. Usually 3 ace lists have a more jousty ace (Vader, Whisper, Nien, Luke, Bobba, etc.) Who can draw attention away from your more fragile aces while not completely folding over to concentrated fire due to good defensive mods. In the Republic's case, this is usually Ric, who gets 3 agility and an evade token in defense for the first round while also having 5 hp.

I've actually been working on a triple ace list, so might as well share:

Triple Aces V001

(51) Aayla Secura [Eta-2 Actis]

(6) R2-A6

(8) Stealth Device

(2) Predator

(49) Obi-Wan Kenobi [Delta-7 Aethersprite]

(5) R4-P17

(4) Calibrated Laser Targeting

(5) Sense

(45) Ric Olié [Naboo Royal N-1 Starfighter]

(3) R3 Astromech

(2) Fire-Control System

(12) Proton Torpedoes

Total points: 192

I think all around this is a more solid list, and the jedi are still the stars of the show

5 hours ago, LeMightyASP said:

Does this need to be a 3 Jedi list, or just an ace list with Jedi? Because to be honest, I don't think bringing 3 Jedi is a very good idea. Usually 3 ace lists have a more jousty ace (Vader, Whisper, Nien, Luke, Bobba, etc.) Who can draw attention away from your more fragile aces while not completely folding over to concentrated fire due to good defensive mods. In the Republic's case, this is usually Ric, who gets 3 agility and an evade token in defense for the first round while also having 5 hp.

I've actually been working on a triple ace list, so might as well share:

Triple Aces V001

(51) Aayla Secura [Eta-2 Actis]

(6) R2-A6

(8) Stealth Device

(2) Predator

(49) Obi-Wan Kenobi [Delta-7 Aethersprite]

(5) R4-P17

(4) Calibrated Laser Targeting

(5) Sense

(45) Ric Olié [Naboo Royal N-1 Starfighter]

(3) R3 Astromech

(2) Fire-Control System

(12) Proton Torpedoes

Total points: 192

I think all around this is a more solid list, and the jedi are still the stars of the show

might have to give that a try I was setting up a similar list.

Ric Olié (45)
Juke (7)
Adv. Proton Torpedoes (5)

Ship total: 57 Half Points: 29 Threshold: 3

Anakin Skywalker (ETA-2) (56)
Brilliant Evasion (2)
Juke (7)
Stealth Device (8)

Ship total: 73 Half Points: 37 Threshold: 2

Obi-Wan Kenobi (ETA-2) (49)
Brilliant Evasion (2)
Juke (7)
Stealth Device (8)

Ship total: 66 Half Points: 33 Threshold: 2

Total: 196

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Galactic Republic&d=v8ZsZ200Z333X123WWW134Y441X199W123WWW166Y440X199W123WWW166&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

but not sold on Ric Ollie cost if I can get the points back from him.

I did fight with replacing Ric Ollie with: -

Mace Windu (46)
C1-10P (8)
Calibrated Laser Targeting (3)

Ship total: 57 Half Points: 29 Threshold: 2

as a 3 force ship, which can help make my jukes more effective by removing focus tokens before they have even used it.

Also gives me another way to remove target locks as well, with ani and C1-10P

I need to get back to the table well currently TTS and try it out. I could end up theory crafting for days and still get my *** kicked till I learn how to use aces properly.