Does Hondo Trigger Nodin?

By Tyhar7, in X-Wing Rules Questions

So Nodin ability. " After you coordinate or are coordinated, if you have 2 or fewer stress tokens, you may perform 1 action on your action bar as a red action, even if you are stressed."

Hondo Reads. " Action: Choose 2 ships at range 1-3 of you that are friendly to each other. Coordinate one of the chosen ships, then jam the other, ignoring range restrictions."

If Nodin is carrying Hondo does his action count as a coordinate that would trigger Nodin?

Yep.

I’d say no, but if Honda chooses Nodin as a target I’d say yes. Assuming Nodin was the half that got the coordinate not jam, which also means Nodin couldn’t be the Hondo carrier.

Honda is not a “Coordinate” action. He is a “Action:” special upgrade action.

Hmmmm I guess Nodin doesn’t say coordinate action 🧐

Edited by JBFancourt
26 minutes ago, JBFancourt said:

Hmmmm I guess Nodin doesn’t say coordinate action 🧐

They don't, I checked before I posted my answer, which is why it is a "Yep" for a Hondo coordinated Nodin or a Nodin caddying a coordinating Hondo.

One shorthand that can help identify whether certain card text is referring to an action , or that action's resulting effect , is that actions are almost universally referred to with the corresponding action icon (eye = focus, wiggly arrow = evade, three arrowheads = coordinate, etc). When a card is just referring the effect, it will spell out the name of that effect. R3 Astromech is a great example of this: "After you perform a [LOCK] action, you may acquire a lock." One uses the symbol, explicitly meaning the lock action; the other spells out the word, meaning that it isn't an action.

R3_Astromech.png

Nodin works the same way: He really only cares about whether he is coordinating, or was coordinated. That can come from the regular coordinate action, or an effect like Hondo Ohnaka.

The interesting end result of this is that, because Hondo isn't a Coordinate action, Nodin is well within his rights to use his ability to perform an actual Coordinate action... which would trigger his ability again.

Edited by DR4CO
58 minutes ago, DR4CO said:

The interesting end result of this is that, because Hondo isn't a Coordinate action, Nodin is well within his rights to use his ability to perform an actual Coordinate action... which would trigger his ability again.

Yes this was what I was thinking if it actually worked like that.