Light in the Fog Announced

By Magnito, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

Eye of the Djinn looks absurd , so powerful! Easily worth it even without any of the curse/bless synergy it offers.

I'm really not a fan of "Lucky" Penny - it looks like it will be really time-consuming (every token pull could require one or more coin flips and have all kinds of variable effects depending on how the coin lands) - my playgroup have already agreed that we're banning it by gentlepersons' agreement!

Spirit of Humanity looks really interesting, might finally get me to give Calvin a shot, and has cool synergies for Carolyn and Tommy too. I like the art and theme as well.

It seems likely that Shroud of Shadows (4) can be inferred to imply an upcoming Armageddon (4) and Eye of Chaos (4), too - presumably with the same inbuilt +2 and the chaos token effect now being for each curse token drawn - which makes me quite excited since I have a Jim Culver Armageddon deck I'm itching to try out!

The thing that is weird is that Eye of the Djinn looks like it takes a hand slot. Is that supposed to be a balance to its power maybe?

1 minute ago, Soakman said:

The thing that is weird is that Eye of the Djinn looks like it takes a hand slot. Is that supposed to be a balance to its power maybe?

Depends on the investigator, I guess - might be a hard ask for Tony Morgan/Leo Anderson, or Finn/Skids using lockpicks and a gun, or but Preston can usually spare a hand slot unless going really hard into the Dark Horse side of things since most Rogue hand slot cards are Illicit , and Wendy and Sefina probably have one spare (unless using an Ornate Bow). I don't think hand slot pressure is going to balance the card so much as slightly reduce the number of investigators who want it.

2 hours ago, Allonym said:

I'm really not a fan of "Lucky" Penny - it looks like it will be really time-consuming (every token pull could require one or more coin flips and have all kinds of variable effects depending on how the coin lands) - my playgroup have already agreed that we're banning it by gentlepersons' agreement!

Yeah Im not going to be flipping any coins to resolve card effects. I hope this isnt a 'mechanic' we see in the future.

9 hours ago, Allonym said:

Shame as Lucky Penny appears to be a card that could synergyse with the Paradoxical Covenant (for a mystic/rogue character or Lola Hayes), a card that has been described as an 'absolute stinker' by Man from Leng in his latest reviews. If you have a lot of bless OR curse tokens in the bag, then if you pick two in the same test you can use the penny to convert one to the other type and thus trigger the covenant's effect.

4 hours ago, Leematon said:

Shame as Lucky Penny appears to be a card that could synergyse with the Paradoxical Covenant (for a mystic/rogue character or Lola Hayes), a card that has been described as an 'absolute stinker' by Man from Leng in his latest reviews. If you have a lot of bless OR curse tokens in the bag, then if you pick two in the same test you can use the penny to convert one to the other type and thus trigger the covenant's effect.

Note that the coin flip is a Forced effect. While you may be lucky (like turning two curses into one bless and one curse), it could prevent you from triggering Paradoxical Covenant, as well.

4 hours ago, Astrophil84 said:

Note that the coin flip is a Forced effect. While you may be lucky (like turning two curses into one bless and one curse), it could prevent you from triggering Paradoxical Covenant, as well.

What it does is effectively balance out the number of bless and curse tokens in the bag. So, if there are six bless tokens and two curse tokens in the bag, you're far more likely to trigger Paradoxical Covenant with the Penny than without it (and, obviously, if you've got ten bless tokens and zero curse tokens, you can only trigger the Covenant with the Penny).

Unfortunately, I don't see a lot of ways to get Lucky Penny, Paradoxical Covenant, and heavy blursing all on the same character outside of a Sefina build with Double Double. I'd originally though it'd be cool with Mateo, but it turns out that Lucky Penny isn't Blessed despite its bless synergy.

The more practical application is to just take it with False Covenant. At that point, if you draw two curses in one round, there's a 75% chance you'll burn both of them with no ill effects. At that point, you can curse with reckless abandon, so long as nobody's adding bless tokens behind your back.