Legion Synergy Tool

By Mbweha, in Star Wars: Legion

In case you missed it as part of our Buying Guide, The Legion Synergy Tool is a new tool for Legion players who are looking for advice on building armies or deciding what expansions to purchase next.
Click on a unit to tell the tool, "I want to build an army that has this in it," and see what other units are recommended to take alongside it.
Deep dive video exploring the tool to come next week.

Legion Synergy Tool (snip).JPG

how is it weighted, some units have great synergy one way but not the other, like han and chewie, chewie has strong synergy with Han but Han only has good synergy with Chewie, shouldn't they be even?

How does it work when it comes to GAR, the entire faction is built around synergy between clone troopers but that doesnt seem to be the case on this tool

Edited by 5particus
sounded like i was moaning about it first time

Nice little tool.

47 minutes ago, 5particus said:

how is it weighted, some units have great synergy one way but not the other, like han and chewie, chewie has strong synergy with Han but Han only has good synergy with Chewie, shouldn't they be even?

How does it work when it comes to GAR, the entire faction is built around synergy between clone troopers but that doesnt seem to be the case on this tool

I second this question. When selecting R2 in clones there are good synergy selections but no strong. When selecting Barcs, or the saber R2 appears to be a strong synergy.

This was posted on SoCal Star Wars Legion Facebook page :

https://scontent.fsan1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/127486989_10221267777936757_4181008876381008746_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=2&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=PVu3YF6lyEEAX_wu9dI&_nc_ht=scontent.fsan1-1.fna&oh=cf3a1d4ae18fb3eb5f58b1831dab0933&oe=5FE10607

One problem with this synergy tool is it doesnt take upgrades into account. A couple examples:

Deathtroopers with the DT-F16 have better synergy with Commander Vader than Deathtroopers with the DLT-19D. Because compel has obvious synergy with a commander that prevent your units from panicking.

Snowtroopers with Gideon Hask have better synergy with other corps units than Snowtroopers with the Flamethrower. Because Gideon Hask has coordinate for corps units.

Edited by Khobai
1 hour ago, Khobai said:

One problem with this synergy tool is it doesnt take upgrades into account. A couple examples:

Deathtroopers with the DT-F16 have better synergy with Commander Vader than Deathtroopers with the DLT-19D. Because compel has obvious synergy with a commander that prevent your units from panicking.

Snowtroopers with Gideon Hask have better synergy with other corps units than Snowtroopers with the Flamethrower. Because Gideon Hask has coordinate for corps units.

The former would most likely be factored into Deathtrooper's level of synergy with Vader in general (Of course, how well the units will function on the table period also has to factor in). The latter is a synergy between a (sort-of) generic upgrade and a unit type. The synergy is (mostly) between Gideon Hask and corps units.

One possibility to help with this, though, would be a mouseover or drop-down explanation of why two things work together well (or in some cases, actively don't).

Edited by Squark
1 hour ago, Khobai said:

This tool is awesome, and it would be even better if it recommended upgrades. Good feature suggestion, Khobai.

3 hours ago, Squark said:

The former would most likely be factored into Deathtrooper's level of synergy with Vader in general (Of course, how well the units will function on the table period also has to factor in). The latter is a synergy between a (sort-of) generic upgrade and a unit type. The synergy is (mostly) between Gideon Hask and corps units.

Theres definitely more synergy in attaching Gideon Hask to a unit of snowtroopers as opposed to say stormtroopers. Because he gives the snowtroopers a range 3 heavy weapon and they can move out from behind a building, shoot at range 3, then move back behind the building. Gideon as an upgrade makes snowtroopers synergistically better at the whole move/shoot/move tactic.

Thats a different kindve synergy than the generalized synergy gideon hask has with all corps units through his coordinate ability.

Gideon obviously has some upgrade synergy with every corps unit but I would argue snowtroopers get the biggest benefit from Gideon being attached to them. Gideon should have an upgrade synergy with Snowtroopers. But then also have a generic synergy with all corps units.

Edited by Khobai

Oh sheesh I forgot to turn on email notifications for this post—sorry!

Thanks to thestag for posting the answer from FB about why the tool isn't reciprocal.

Those of you saying it would be nice to include upgrades: We (Team Relentless) agree that this would also be a nice tool, but it would be too many variables to try to control. We've talked about having a separate tool that would suggest what upgrades to take on each unit, however. We also would love to eventually make it so when you hover on a unit it explains why it has the synergy it has, but that's a ways down the road.

5particus: maybe we should change it so that when Phase Is are clicked, they turn blue, instead of green, to emphasize how beneficial it is to stack them up.

Funny, there is only 1 Strong synergy in CIS: DRK-1 Droids and Maul.

Aren't those droids also great for B1s and BX full teams? You know, stuff with lots of white dice.

10 hours ago, Mbweha said:

Oh sheesh I forgot to turn on email notifications for this post—sorry!

Thanks to thestag for posting the answer from FB about why the tool isn't reciprocal.

Those of you saying it would be nice to include upgrades: We (Team Relentless) agree that this would also be a nice tool, but it would be too many variables to try to control. We've talked about having a separate tool that would suggest what upgrades to take on each unit, however. We also would love to eventually make it so when you hover on a unit it explains why it has the synergy it has, but that's a ways down the road.

5particus: maybe we should change it so that when Phase Is are clicked, they turn blue, instead of green, to emphasize how beneficial it is to stack them up.

i would have said all clone troopers should be good synergy to each other at least, some of them will have great synergy but not all, Padme and Anakin should have good synergy with all other units (exemplar) at least.

4 hours ago, Vector Strike said:

Funny, there is only 1 Strong synergy in CIS: DRK-1 Droids and Maul.

Aren't those droids also great for B1s and BX full teams? You know, stuff with lots of white dice.

They sure are! That's why those are green. Think of blue as saying, "If you don't a bring this unit along in your army, you're probably making a mistake." (Which is especially true in this particular case, since you can only take the DRKs if you also take Maul). CIS is in a very "open" place right now I think, which is why there isn't a lot of blue, which I personally think is good.

3 hours ago, 5particus said:

i would have said all clone troopers should be good synergy to each other at least, some of them will have great synergy but not all, Padme and Anakin should have good synergy with all other units (exemplar) at least.

The problem with making everything green for a unit is that it doesn't actually give much advice. In the case of a unit like Padme, a lot of the "spectrum" that you see pop up is really showing what some of the strongest units for CIS are right now.

11 minutes ago, Mbweha said:

They sure are! That's why those are green. Think of blue as saying, "If you don't a bring this unit along in your army, you're probably making a mistake." (Which is especially true in this particular case, since you can only take the DRKs if you also take Maul). CIS is in a very "open" place right now I think, which is why there isn't a lot of blue, which I personally think is good.

The problem with making everything green for a unit is that it doesn't actually give much advice. In the case of a unit like Padme, a lot of the "spectrum" that you see pop up is really showing what some of the strongest units for CIS are right now.

maybe what is needed then is more graduations, instead of saying strong synergy maybe give it a score out of 5 or 10 for good, 0 for neutral and then -5 to -10 for bad synergy

46 minutes ago, 5particus said:

maybe what is needed then is more graduations, instead of saying strong synergy maybe give it a score out of 5 or 10 for good, 0 for neutral and then -5 to -10 for bad synergy

This might be a question for your programming guy, but do you, @Mbweha know whether the units are manually assigned synergy values or whether it is determined by a variable? If it is a variable, it might be more clear to display the numeric values it assigns (or if you are in love with the clean aesthetic, allow a toggle-able option to display the values).

Also, the landing page https://synergytool.teamrelentlesstabletop.com/ doesn't seem to be doing much. Instead, it would be nice to have the links to the four different factions, saving people a click if they don't need to look at Rebels.

45 minutes ago, tdcthulu said:

This might be a question for your programming guy, but do you, @Mbweha know whether the units are manually assigned synergy values or whether it is determined by a variable? If it is a variable, it might be more clear to display the numeric values it assigns (or if you are in love with the clean aesthetic, allow a toggle-able option to display the values).

There is—and if you watch The Playbook this won't surprise you—a spreadsheet that has the values. :) Team Relentless works together and discusses what those values should be in the sheet, and then those values are translated into the colors you see in the tool. There is sometimes disagreement (of course) and I take everyone's opinion into consideration and then have the final say in order to avoid headaches. The tool will be updated from time to time, especially as "new metas" emerge and we're able to see what types of lists are performing best at tournaments.

When we do the deep dive video I intend to let people peek behind the curtain a bit at the spreadsheet itself.

@Mbweha : That makes sense, I'm looking forward to the deep dive!

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

4 hours ago, Mbweha said:

A tool like this is mostly only good for showing the obvious low level synergies that should always be used (for example Vader and Royal Guards is an obvious one)

Theres definitely more subtle higher level synergies that would be difficult for a tool like this to cover. For example, Palpatine /w Aggressive Tactics + Snowtroopers /w Gideon Hask + Shoretroopers + Mortar is a higher level synergy that a tool like this would have difficulty showing. Its hard for the tool to show the bigger picture of why all those units synergize together.

So I think its best for a tool like this to focus on the immediate and obvious synergies between two units or one unit and a particular upgrade.

Edited by Khobai

Love the tool, on the rebel side of things Cassian has rhe same synergy with cor p units as he does with spec ops, yet I wou ld say none of his command cards shows any support for Corp units unlike say Luke or Leia, however his command cards show support for commanders, operatives and spec ops, so I would have said he was green or blue to any of those, but neutral to any Corp.