First impressions of the new squad builder

By Wedge1126, in X-Wing Squad Builder

I am using the web browser version on a PC.

Good:

• You can freely change the game mode of an existing squad. (Finally!)
  • You can clone an existing ship in your list.
  • lol, you can add ships of any faction to a squad. I just added Major Vynder to a Rebel squad. You get a warning about it, but it doesn't stop you. You have to go out of your way to modify the ship filter to do it, but it means you can make special cross-faction squads for casual play.
  • You can track your wins and losses. (yay...)

Bad:

• You can't see what upgrades each ship has in squad. You have to click on a ship to be taken to another screen with a huge useless image to see what upgrades you have equipped. @Frimmel pointed out there's a button to switch to an expanded view that will show all of the upgrades on each ship. It also shows a maneuver chart for each ship which makes it a bit too cluttered for me. Also, you can't change upgrades on the expanded view. You still have to go to the other screen in order to modify your ship and adding more clicks to achieve the same thing.
  • Adding a new ship is a chore. The list of pilots are grouped by ship, but you can't collapse the groups. So, you are left looking a giant list of every pilot in your faction.
  • You can reorder the list of saved squads. Unfortunately, you can't sort them by things like faction or game mode. You just manually drag them around in the list.
  • You can't reorder the pilots in a squad. (Seriously, these people don't use their own products)
  • There's no save button. Instead, it autosaves every change you make. This means if you start playing around with the upgrades and change your mind, you better remember all of the changes to undo.
  • You can't see the actual card anywhere. (Not a big deal, but it was nice)
Edited by Wedge1126
12 minutes ago, Wedge1126 said:

You can't see what upgrades each ship has in squad. You have to click on a ship to be taken to another screen with a huge useless image to see what upgrades you have equipped.

You're imprecise here. In the web-builder there is the collapsed list view with basically the pilot name and the start of their ability and the upgrades slots you're using are shown white. There is a expanded view button in the web-builder that will drop down full details on the ships in the list.

5 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

You're imprecise here. In the web-builder there is the collapsed list view with basically the pilot name and the start of their ability and the upgrades slots you're using are shown white. There is a expanded view button in the web-builder that will drop down full details on the ships in the list.

You're right. Thanks.

I think I immediately dismissed that view because of the giant maneuver chart shown on each ship.

4 hours ago, Wedge1126 said:

Adding a new ship is a chore. The list of pilots are grouped by ship, but you can't collapse the groups. So, you are left looking a giant list of every pilot in your faction.

This is mitigated a bit by using the search function at the top of the list of ships when you go to add a ship to the squadron.

News? They've announced news?

It's looking good, and the 'testing'/bugfixes seem to be coming in quite quickly.

I like a lot about this app, but the one feature I think is missing is a way to calculate points scored during a match.

I think that’s the one thing that would prevent me from using this over a third party app