Difficulty advise

By brolim, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

Hey I'm playing with Roland. I'm playing then corset scenarios on Stanard difficulty. I have a guns from the core set and from the innsmouth conspiracy plus the in too deep. yet they found the game very punishing even in standard difficulty do I need more set of cards more options?

Even on "Easy" the game is not that easy, so try that difficulty.

Yeah easy is probably better until you get a bigger collection or more experience. Also, the Innsmouth scenarios are very hard so I would not recommend playing them on anything but easy, and even then with a limited card pool it might be a little punishing.

If you're struggling, consider this: Arkham Horror isn't a game you win against; it's more an exercise in survival. Though you may lose most scenarios, you still advance through a campaign - even if that means creating a new character deck to take up the reigns from a recently deceased or insane character.

My most memorable campaign was playing The Forgotten Age. I reached the final scenario with my second character, Ursula Downs, after character no.1, Leo Anderson, was driven insane early on. Ursula ended up with numerous weaknesses in her deck, physical and mental trauma, reduced hand size and didn't even have her own body at the end. Her former allies had turned against her. She'd been stabbed, bitten, poisoned, physically beaten, pushed off a bridge and more besides. But she struggled on heroically to the final scene............just in time to witness the end of the world.

I didn't 'win' a single scenario, but it was a superb and memorable campaign. 🙂

I recently played the Daisy challenge scenario "Read or Die." I was able to fulfill the minimum conditions to have a chance at victory, and in the token draw that could have brought me a win (a little better than a 30% chance), I pulled one that not only made me fail, but caused my defeat through horror. I considered that to be a perfectly balanced, successful session.

Its all brutal even on easy.

Occasionally the game gives you false hope and you think you've got this, then in the next mythos phase you draw a crippling cruel card from the encounter deck followed by some bad luck on the chaos tokens. You lose a scenario and wonder how that happens. Then the investigator dies or becomes insane. you pack the game away vowing never to play it again. But then like some addictive drug your setting up the next game with a brand new deck and brand new hope to experience it all again. Should be renamed BDSM of LCG

Joking aside I love it!! it is a brutal game and losing is a part of it but as mentioned the story line and the challenge do make the game fun and memorable. Once you have had a bit of experience playing and building decks, you do stand a better chance of succeeding providing that rascally chaos bag is kind to you.

I only got into the game in March I have done Night of the zealot and return to, quite a few times a few times also Dunwich legacy which i am currently working through again. and are repayable and different every-time. Although I have some of the other full cycles I dont feel I am ready to progress just yet partly because im missing allot of cocosa cycle and just feel for me the jump to either circle undone which I have the full cycle (dont have dream eaters) or insmouth might be too much at the moment, Plus alot of the advice suggests doing the cycles in order of release, although thats easier said than done when there are gaps in the collections at the moment, but everyone is different.