Starship movement rules (Genesis)

By Rosco74, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Hello, I had a look at the vehicle rules of Genesis from the book of my brother. It is very different how the movement is managed, with the forced moves thingy.

I would like to know if any of you already tried to use them in Starwars starship combat rules ? I tried to think about the forced move in space, but it seems strange as in Genesis the range band are the same as personal scale, so it's not so easy to reproduce in space. I will use the "brace for impact" maneuver and the "accelerate" and "decelerate" on the other hand.

If any of you could give me some feedback I would really appreciate, thanks

I started using Brace For Impact immediately and it's a very useful addition. We keep the rest of the vehicle rules mostly as-is.

I’ve been using a hybrid that includes forced move, accelerate/decelerate, and brace for impact. If you like having minis on the table where position of the minis makes sense and is relevant, I encourage incorporating some of the Genesis rules. We’ve been having loads of fun with space combat that includes capital ships as well as squadrons.

Me and my group are also using a Hybrid, especially the force move and the new calculation of piloting checks.
We did keep weapon ranges as well as mechanics for firing weapons being determined by silhouette and speed rather than range.

If I can get an in-person game of Star Wars going, I was going to just use X-Wing rules.

2 hours ago, SuperWookie said:

If I can get an in-person game of Star Wars going, I was going to just use X-Wing rules.

The universal verdict on that has been "It doesn't work". It will make combats very ,very long, mostly boring (as there'll be lots of turns where nothing happens and you're just turning around to try and get an arc) and there's no good mapping between the RPG skills and the rules of X-wing.

10 minutes ago, Talkie Toaster said:

The universal verdict on that has been "It doesn't work". It will make combats very ,very long, mostly boring (as there'll be lots of turns where nothing happens and you're just turning around to try and get an arc) and there's no good mapping between the RPG skills and the rules of X-wing.

I wasn't going to do much more than ranks in Piloting (Space) being the ... now I forget the name of it... that high value that aces have. I want to say, Pilot Score?

Maybe work with the players to create an in-space ability that the pilot would have.

3 hours ago, Fl1nt said:

Me and my group are also using a Hybrid, especially the force move and the new calculation of piloting checks.
We did keep weapon ranges as well as mechanics for firing weapons being determined by silhouette and speed rather than range.

I did the same.

3 hours ago, SuperWookie said:

That will work only if everyone is also an X-Wing player. For a “typical” RPG group, X-Wing is probably way too technical and strategic for them. Also, whoever “Gits Gud” will dominate every space combat.

You’ll have to strip out all the X-Wing abilities that are covered by talents, like Barrel Roll, and then add in all the RPG talents into X-Wing. This will likely unbalance X-Wing, whose balance is iffy on a good day. If I were playing a Pilot spec, bought cool talents with my hard-earned xp, and didn’t get to use them, I’d be complaining.

9 hours ago, SuperWookie said:

I didn't have a great experience with this, but obviously YMMV.

Thanks for your replies I will try a mix version as well to see how it's going