A Long-extended Party Spoiler!

By Bobbymcbobface, in The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

Looks like an article is finally up on ALeP, stating they are announcing their first deluxe expansion for the game soon!

https://www.alongextendedparty.com/2020/11/for-if-we-fall-who-shall-stand.html#more

Here's a great summary quote:

We will be creating dozens of unique, custom player cards designed to deliver on fan expectations for iconic characters, underserved archetypes, and bold new strategies. We will also be creating at least one complete cycle, including a deluxe expansion, six adventure packs, and an overarching narrative that delves into the history of a fan-favorite region of Middle-Earth.

In short: the game is not dead . It is alive and well, and the party shall go on a while longer.

Edited by Bobbymcbobface
6 minutes ago, Bobbymcbobface said:

The first spoiler article is up for the new deluxe, THE CHILDREN OF EORL!!!!! We're going to Rohan!!!

https://www.alongextendedparty.com/2020/11/the-children-of-eorl.html

The spoiled cards are awesome, I really like the setting of the quests and the characters involved. Can't wait to have them available.

That is pretty cool! Rohan definitely needs the help and I like that it’s available at card printers, it’s nice to have something to tide us over until FFG figures out what it’s doing with our game.

Hopefully it can be added to TTS as well, which has been perfect for pandemic play!

22 hours ago, Kjeld said:

Hopefully it can be added to TTS as well, which has been perfect for pandemic play!

The team behind ALEP confirmed that OCTGN will be supported not sure about TTs though.

I like the look of the player cards. Custom cards frequently have either too much power or too convoluted abilities, but these seem well placed. Thengel seems strong, especially if the cycle comes with enough cheap Warrior allies that can discard themselves (or some other trait that has a lot of powerful expensive cards---warrior was my first thought). Fortunately Rohan doesn't have too many high-value high-cost allies.

Is there a rules distinction between "After a player discards an ally from play" and "After an ally is discarded from play"? Is there intended to be?

54 minutes ago, NathanH said:

Is there a rules distinction between "After a player discards an ally from play" and "After an ally is discarded from play"? Is there intended to be?

There may be some borderline cases where a player is discarding an ally that someone else controls. I'll take a look into this, and if necessary we can reword Thengel to avoid this rules question from popping up.

Some encounter cards effects (like the treachery Knife in the Back or Secret Cultist or one of the quest stages of Wastes or Eriador) simply state "discard an ally" instead of "player discards an ally", so it can make a difference there. The intent of the card is clear but the wording can be interpreted as if it's the encounter deck who is making the discard.

I think there are also some treacheries to that effect in the competite play quests (like where is the opposing team that chooses and discards the ally. Still a player doing the discard, but that's also a possibile point of contention.

I would recommend against using iconic named characters from other franchises for art, like Elspeth from MtG here.

will we be able to purchase ? meaning I dont print them lol

@robc73usa The expansions are not going to be available for purchase, as they are fully volunteer created expansions. You have a few options to play them:

• Print them yourself (Whenever released, PDF documents should be made available)
  • Have them printed at a professional printing service (MakePlayingCards or DriveThru Cards)
  • Play them digitally (They will be available to play on OCTGN and potentially TTS)

Here's a quote from the "Our Mission" tab on the ALeP website: "In keeping with tradition, we plan to release "deluxe boxes" containing player cards and 3 quests, and follow up each deluxe with 6 "adventure packs" which contain player cards and a single quest. The designs will be made available completely for free, which you can then print yourself, or take them to a printing service like DriveThruCards or MakePlayingCards. They will also be made available on OCTGN."

For anyone interested, a few other cards have been spoiled on a couple LOTR LCG related blogs and podcasts:

12 minutes ago, Bobbymcbobface said:

Vision of the Palantir spoils a new event for trap decks https://visionofthepalantir.com/2020/12/08/a-long-extended-party/

That's a really interesting card, I can see it work well in a generic Dunedain deck (maybe with Vigilant Dunadan and some of the other high cost Dunedain allies) with Outmatched and Followed or in a more straightforward trap deck (mabye a Gondor themed one). Another very good game design.

1 hour ago, Bobbymcbobface said:

@robc73usa

• Have them printed at a professional printing service (MakePlayingCards or DriveThru Cards)

Does anyone has experience with these services?

What card quality to choose to get close to the original cards? Also, do they print (most probably) copyrighted art used on the cards?

5 hours ago, Flrbb said:

Does anyone has experience with these services?

What card quality to choose to get close to the original cards? Also, do they print (most probably) copyrighted art used on the cards?

We will be putting out a lot of details on the pros and cons of various printing options when we release, so stay tuned!

Another spoiler is up! This time on another Card Talk episode.