Fuel Leak and Hull Breach, the deadliest combo

By Burnes, in X-Wing Rules Questions

I don't remember this ever coming up before or if it had we played it wrong.

Fuel leak states that after you suffer a critical damage then suffer one damage and repair this card.

Hull breach states that when you suffer 1 or more damage suffer that much critical damage instead.

So if this combination is in play then every hit will cause another damage card unless the fuel leak is repaired through an action as the condition to repair the fuel leak while suffering damage can not be triggered if the hull breach is in effect.

These were the first two cards dealt to my opponents YT last night and it seemed too good. Is this correct?

I'm not sure I'm reading your question right, so I'll just give the answer I think is most useful.

Fuel Leak repairs itself after the first critical damage you take, not an extra damage for each incoming card. That's what the card says to do: after you suffer a critical damage, take 1 damage (converted to critical by Hull Breach), and then flip the card face down.

It's still really nasty, granting you an extra crit, much like a Direct Hit would with a Hull Breach, but only *one* extra crit.

Edited by theBitterFig
On 11/21/2020 at 11:50 PM, Burnes said:

[...]

So if this combination is in play then every hit will cause another damage card unless the fuel leak is repaired through an action as the condition to repair the fuel leak while suffering damage can not be triggered if the hull breach is in effect.

[...]

Critical damage are damage, so that would not change anything.

Also, suffuring the damage from Fuel Leak is not a trigger to get the card repaired. So it would repair anyway.

On 11/21/2020 at 5:50 PM, Burnes said:

Nope. The Hull Breach crit is a replacement for the hit.

Rules Reference page 3

Replacement effect s can replace a cost that a ship would pay for an effect. If a cost is replaced in this way, the effect is still resolved.

Meaning, The cost you have to pay (suffering a hit) is replaced with suffering a cirt. The replacement cost (the crit) still counts as paying the cost for the Fuel leak, and thus, will repair the card.

19 hours ago, Lyianx said:

Meaning, The cost you have to pay (suffering a hit) is replaced with suffering a cirt. The replacement cost (the crit) still counts as paying the cost for the Fuel leak, and thus, will repair the card.

I'm not even certain suffering the hit damage (or a replacement crit) is paying a cost. Fuel Leak says "After you suffer 1 critical damage, suffer 1 hit damage and repair this card." Suffering damage and repairing both seem to be triggered by the original crit.