Base Painting Order - Glue First or After

By robertpolson, in Painting

How do you go about adding base texture? Add the textures first and then add the miniature of glue first and add texture around the figure?

This is mainly for figures on large bases. I am not sure what to do with the AT-RT. If I add the base first, how do I glue the figure? Won't it fall off if glued to texture rather than base surface?

If I glue first, it will be hard to pain underneath the "feet".

UBAlIle.jpg

Edited by robertpolson

I had this very dilemma today. I'm considered pinning the bottom of the feet and drilling into the base once finished. I just gotta make sure there aren't obstructions in the areas here the feet will go (I'm doing geonosis , so in my case, getting rid of any of the larger small stones).

Edited by 54NCH32

Depends on what type of base you're going for. If your doing something like sand and grass, I recommend putting the miniature on before. If you're doing something that you need to paint (especially drybrush), putting the miniature on afterwards should save you a lot of mistakes. Nice paint job btw

Edited by Tidrewski Kolbehs

I do a combination. I apply the texture to the base, glue down the model, and later add the details to the base. This requires using super glue to attach the model to the base, as plastic glue won't work.

I mark the place of the miniature in Green Stuff, then i add texture, additional elements and paint. Clean and safe 😉

1xbToWrm.jpg?3 rBbrOBgm.jpg?1

10 hours ago, zorro555 said:

I mark the place of the miniature in Green Stuff, then i add texture, additional elements and paint. Clean and safe 😉

1xbToWrm.jpg?3 rBbrOBgm.jpg?1

Cool idea. Do you glue the miniature to green stuff afterwards when everything dries??

I wasn't sure what I was doing but it turned out to be okay.

DRvhOcq.jpg

UXFQPOx.jpg

ta49EtW.jpg

qMCKbvT.jpg

b4TwTj6.jpg

HsbZM3s.jpg

Y2L2Gpq.jpg

GdIFFAJ.jpg

That looks great! And for whatever reason, the last pic of the AT-RT in the tub made me crack up. 😛

3 hours ago, KalEl814 said:

That looks great! And for whatever reason, the last pic of the AT-RT in the tub made me crack up. 😛

Thank you :) AT-RT down.

On 11/21/2020 at 8:03 AM, robertpolson said:

How do you go about adding base texture? Add the textures first and then add the miniature of glue first and add texture around the figure?

This is mainly for figures on large bases. I am not sure what to do with the AT-RT. If I add the base first, how do I glue the figure? Won't it fall off if glued to texture rather than base surface?

If I glue first, it will be hard to pain underneath the "feet".

I always glue the figure to the base prior to priming the model. It gives me something to hold on to while painting. Don't worry about painting under the feet of your At-RTs. You'll be able to hide that area with the basing material you'll be putting on the base once the model is painted.