1.0 purchase reccomendation?

By Supertoe, in X-Wing

Hello all,

I recently won a bid on ebay for a small set of 1.0 x-wing content, including the following:

Rebels: 1x B-Wing, 1x T-70 X-Wing

Imperium: 2x TIE/Fo, 1x TIE/In, 1x TIE Phantom

I have some leftover store credit from playtesting other games and want to buy some of the 1.0 X-Wing content on sale (I will eventually upgrade to 2.0 if we like it, but we're just playing casual so I'll probably just proxy pilots and such). My goal is to get a few fun ships, but also to round out the two factions so that we can do a little basic squad building.

The items currently on sale at the Asmodee site are:

Imperium: Tie Silencer, Tie Reaper, Tie Bomber, Imperial Aces, Upsilon Class Shuttle,

Rebels : U-Wing, Resistance Bomber, Heroes of the Resistance, Phantom II, HWK-290, Z-95 Headhunter, Saws Renegades

Scum: Most Wanted expansion (can use models in Rebel army with pilot proxies).

I'm mostly just looking for what will be fun. I'm leaning towards TIE Bomber for the Imperials, the idea of dropping bombs and firing ordinance looks exciting. For rebels, I was leaning towards Most Wanted, just to get 3 nice basic ships to compliment the more expensive B-wing and T-70. The Heroes of the Resistance also looks decent, I did not realize at first that it was considered the same YT-1300 (allowing me to use the original trilogy pilots through proxy). However, I'm open to suggestions. You experts, which of these have you liked the best?

Edited by Supertoe

The TIE Reaper and Saw's Renegades will add some interesting large-based ships to your options, both of which are decent in combat and can serve a support role, and each have some unique and fun maneuvering options. Both sets also include the 1.0 and 2.0 content for the ships, so should you eventually end up converting over you'll have a head start with those ships.

One thing you might want to consider if you're looking at potentially switching to 2.0, is that in 2.0 there are seven factions, not three. This is most pertinent when it comes to 1.0 Imperials and Rebels. Resistance ships count as Rebels in 1.0, but this is not true in 2.0. Likewise First Order is its own faction in 2.0.

The point is, that you might want to consider focusing on either Rebels or Resistance, even at this stage, if you think 2.0 is where you're going to end up. Similarly, you may want to focus on Imperial or First Order.

In terms of which I've personally enjoyed - tough question - all of them! :)

Imperial Aces are fun from a learning to fly perspective, but they sure can die fast.

3 minutes ago, eljms said:

One thing you might want to consider if you're looking at potentially switching to 2.0, is that in 2.0 there are seven factions, not three. This is most pertinent when it comes to 1.0 Imperials and Rebels. Resistance ships count as Rebels in 1.0, but this is not true in 2.0. Likewise First Order is its own faction in 2.0.

The point is, that you might want to consider focusing on either Rebels or Resistance, even at this stage, if you think 2.0 is where you're going to end up. Similarly, you may want to focus on Imperial or First Order.

In terms of which I've personally enjoyed - tough question - all of them! :)

Imperial Aces are fun from a learning to fly perspective, but they sure can die fast.

Yes, this is the main reason I was probably just going to stick with 1.0 (or allow combining similar factions in 2.0), and I've already got a mixture of the four factions there.

Thank you for the advice though!

4 hours ago, Supertoe said:

Yes, this is the main reason I was probably just going to stick with 1.0 (or allow combining similar factions in 2.0), and I've already got a mixture of the four factions there.

My advice, if you’re starting fresh: start with 2.0. Better rules, better balance, better game, from everything I can tell. You’re also going to find more answers to your questions, since people are generally more familiar with 2.0 here.

9 hours ago, Supertoe said:

Right now Miniature Market has some deep discounts on 1.0 stuff, like $8 per ship. Serious bang for you buck.

XWM 1.0 is totally a blast, and still a great version of the game for casual play. Having said that, if you are still excited in a few months, 2.0 is a vast improvement in terms of mechanics and adds game mechanics for the Force.

9 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

Right now Miniature Market has some deep discounts on 1.0 stuff, like $8 per ship. Serious bang for you buck.

XWM 1.0 is totally a blast, and still a great version of the game for casual play. Having said that, if you are still excited in a few months, 2.0 is a vast improvement in terms of mechanics and adds game mechanics for the Force.

Thank you! Asmodee has roughly the same sale on their site as well, a few ships cheaper and a few more expensive. (real question: Why is the Mist Hunter expansion so much cheaper than all the others?)

1 hour ago, Supertoe said:

Why is the Mist Hunter expansion so much cheaper than all the others?

I assume that it's what they have overstock of currently. Over the past year various models have been ridiculously cheap at different times.