spooky atmosphere

By brolim, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

hey all. When you play what you do to make some spooky atmosphere to your games and give some flavor ?

For optical effects i just light up a flashlight lamp or some candles

For music i use this raid/storm sounds

Edited by brolim

We used to listen to videogame music, when we played in person. I've never been super interested in pushing the "horror" aspect of the game, though.

There's an Arkham Horror playlist on Spotify that I found with a lot of spooky music, we usually listen to that. Sometimes when we want to get really creepy we turn off all of the lights and put a lamp on the table.

I just saw that Cryo Chamber had put out a new desert mix, and it made me want to play Guardians of the Abyss right away!

Music is excellent in creating a good mood. I'll second Cryo Chamber, and add Bohren und der Club of Gore for appropriate jazz. I'll never miss an opportunity to recommend Markus Junikkala - the albums Eldritch and Preternatural are absolutely perfect (and the track names, too). But there's absolutely tonnes of great music for playing Arkham Horror.

I like to keep things simple, since it's definitely a pulpy game and we're all about the joy of playing, but playmats are a great way to get in the mood - I have a selection of Arkham Horror playmats so we can choose which ones best fit our deck theme and customise our experience.