A question about Ship Customization/Modification

By Tiberiosity, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

So, I've been hunting, searching, and scouring for quite a while, and I haven't really been able to find something that really answers this question, so either there's no official stance on it, or my Google-fu is just exceptionally weak this month. My question is this:

How does crafting Carriers work statwise?

Whether building them as a custom vessel, heavily modifying an existing craft, commissioning a special variant of a popular ship, I know that it is POSSIBLE to have a ship converted into a fighter carrier using the Retrofitted Hangar Bay Attachment/mod, and there ARE stats for that, however that doesn't seem to provide important information in terms of the craft I would like to create which effectively replaces a vast transport capacity (1000 Encumbrance) with fighter craft transport instead. The Attachment seems to have no effect on cargo/encumbrance capacity or the like, simply bolting on additional hangar support/space much like the CR-90 Carrier has had occur.

Is there something that I am missing here that is painfully obvious, perhaps? As a related point of information, I effectively intend to take the wide open space of the 1000 Encumbrance/19,000 metric ton/5,000 cubic meters GR-75 and enclose it in hangar and facilities, as I have absolutely horribly shown in the attached image, and was wondering just how that would 'Officially' be done within the rules of the game. I've also spent a great deal of time messing around with various ship modification tools and game utilities as well, without much success. I simply feel that 10sil. of hangar capacity is ridiculous for such a large storage space.

GR75transportmod_schem.jpg

No, unfortunately not. That comes up to the GM's judgement. I say if there's enough space and it's practical, go for it. Perhaps just associate the cost of the hangar bay attachment as a matter of acquiring the necessary infrastructure to support fighter craft.

So with a certain amount of space, I'd plot out about how many craft could be reasonably fit and go with that.

That did seem to be a general consensus among the GM's that I know as well. After doing a bunch of raw math, visual comparisons, and most especially looking at the differences between the GR-75 shape/mass and the Quasar Fire, I came up with a profile where it would be able to contain one wing of twelve active fighters and 1-2 U-wing type troop transports. It seemed reasonable to me based on mass calculations and storage capacities listed on the wiki, while severely limiting the Encumbrance value.

The calculation numbers are already gone but I think it was to the effect that if I went purely by the 5000m3 cargo area I could store like 40 fighters or something, based on X-wing math.

35 minutes ago, Tiberiosity said:

That did seem to be a general consensus among the GM's that I know as well. After doing a bunch of raw math, visual comparisons, and most especially looking at the differences between the GR-75 shape/mass and the Quasar Fire, I came up with a profile where it would be able to contain one wing of twelve active fighters and 1-2 U-wing type troop transports. It seemed reasonable to me based on mass calculations and storage capacities listed on the wiki, while severely limiting the Encumbrance value.

The calculation numbers are already gone but I think it was to the effect that if I went purely by the 5000m3 cargo area I could store like 40 fighters or something, based on X-wing math.

Unless you've got fighter racks, I'm not sure cubed is the best way to calculate that. I haven't run the numbers myself, but you need to also account for support infrastructure, the shape of the space, etc. If its cargo capacity include containers attached to the outside, it's not going to carry over. I'd calculate based on a map of the cargo space, drawing out the layout to get a general idea of how the fighters would be stored and launched.

2 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Unless you've got fighter racks, I'm not sure cubed is the best way to calculate that. I haven't run the numbers myself, but you need to also account for support infrastructure, the shape of the space, etc. If its cargo capacity include containers attached to the outside, it's not going to carry over. I'd calculate based on a map of the cargo space, drawing out the layout to get a general idea of how the fighters would be stored and launched.

I did intend to re-purpose a portion of the existing GR-75 cargo framework's automated cargo racks for either keeping fighters out of the way when not in use or to transport additional fighters as "spares" or deliveries, the principle between those two systems seems like it wouldn't take much by way of alteration to make viable. The image attached to the original post is at outline of how the primary modification/purpose built system would visually roughly compare to the accepted 'schematics' that I've been able to track down as well, fully enclosing the previously opening hull and including armoured shrouding around the engines much like other vessels have to further expand potential interior space. Sadly my knowledge of the technical side of what sort of limitations exist for that is rather shallow, so it's good that my posts are finally visible! There needs to be more Canon representation of the GR-75's structure.

I also suspect there'd be at least a hard mechanics difficulty check to reconfigure the racks to specific fighters. Hmmm.

Edited by Tiberiosity

@Tiberiosity

The Nubian Design Collective (over in the AoR forums) is a fan built ship crafting system. It's definitely not RAW, but is better than what's in Fully Operational.

It can give you some ideas as to what cargo and hangars provide per Bay.

Would need tinkering, though.

5 hours ago, salamar_dree said:

@Tiberiosity

The Nubian Design Collective (over in the AoR forums) is a fan built ship crafting system. It's definitely not RAW, but is better than what's in Fully Operational.

It can give you some ideas as to what cargo and hangars provide per Bay.

Would need tinkering, though.

Thanks for the shout out, btw @salamar_dree has helped me with the nubian design collective...the nubian design collective whole vehicle crafting handbook is more suited to building a ship from scratch but there's no reason you couldn't stat the ship as if it were a modification on another ship.... I started work on them almost immediately after fully operational was released and the design goal for the rules is to be the minimum neccessary and simplest departure from RAW needed to be able to reproduce 95% of official ffg ship stats with a 95% quality match. Currently @salamar_dree and @Gordian Naught are helping me build a big list of official ships so that I have the data I need to set up a least squares problem to solve for pricing.