Best Combos

By Janaka, in Marvel Champions: The Card Game

Played as Ironman vs Absorbing Man today. Took the Tech upgrade Tactical Scanner with me. Never even thought about how this would work with Stark Tower at the time of choosing it.

I play Stark Tower from my opening hand. Played Tactical Scanner to draw five cards. Then realised I can use Stark Tower to fish Tactical Scanner back out of the discard pile to play it again for another five cards. And guess which Tech card I pulled back out of the discard pile in the next round too... .... 🙂 !!

So, what's your favourite combo?

15 minutes ago, Janaka said:

Played as Ironman vs Absorbing Man today. Took the Tech upgrade Tactical Scanner with me. Never even thought about how this would work with Stark Tower at the time of choosing it.

I play Stark Tower from my opening hand. Played Tactical Scanner to draw five cards. Then realised I can use Stark Tower to fish Tactical Scanner back out of the discard pile to play it again for another five cards. And guess which Tech card I pulled back out of the discard pile in the next round too... .... 🙂 !!

So, what's your favourite combo?

The downside of course is that its not available in the next scenario.

Teamwork and Wonderman or Heimdall work for me.

This doesn’t work I’m afraid. Part of the cost of tactical scanner is crossing it off your campaign sheet. You can’t do this more than once, so you’re not able to do it again in the game you’re playing once you’ve used it. If it comes up again, it’s just a wild resource.

40 minutes ago, FearLord said:

This doesn’t work I’m afraid. Part of the cost of tactical scanner is crossing it off your campaign sheet. You can’t do this more than once, so you’re not able to do it again in the game you’re playing once you’ve used it. If it comes up again, it’s just a wild resource.

Crossing it off the campaign sheet removes it from subsequent scenarios not the current scenario.

2 minutes ago, IceHot42 said:

Crossing it off the campaign sheet removes it from subsequent scenarios not the current scenario.

It definitely doesn’t remove it from the current scenario. However you can’t pay that cost again. It’s part of the cost of using the action on the card (i.e. the text before the arrow) so you can’t complete the action a second time.

6 minutes ago, FearLord said:

It definitely doesn’t remove it from the current scenario. However you can’t pay that cost again. It’s part of the cost of using the action on the card (i.e. the text before the arrow) so you can’t complete the action a second time.

Of course you can its an Upgrade...pay 0 and put it into play. If you look at page 3 of the RotR rules you can see the campaign log determines what cards can and can not be included in your deck and how they affect your 50 card limit , not what cards that are in your deck can or can not be played.

Edited by IceHot42
1 minute ago, IceHot42 said:

Of course you can its an Upgrade...pay 0 and put it into play. If you look at page 3 of the RotR rules you can see the campaign log determines what cards can and can not be included in your deck and how they affect your 50 card limit , not what cards that are in your deck can or can not be played.

The cost to use the action is “cross this off the campaign log and discard this upgard”.

Once you have used that action once (and crossed it off your campaign log) you cannot cross it off the campaign log again, so you cannot pay the cost of the action again.

The card remains in your deck, you can put it into play if you wish, but you cannot pay the cost of its action a second time.

1 hour ago, FearLord said:

Once you have used that action once (and crossed it off your campaign log) you cannot cross it off the campaign log again, so you cannot pay the cost of the action again.

Hmmn. I see what you're saying, but I was reading it the same way as Icehot.

If the action was a intended as one-shot, I would have expected the card to instruct you to remove the card from the game as part of the cost, instead of simply discarding so it remains as part of your deck.

Could do with a definitive reply from a dev.

8 minutes ago, Janaka said:

Hmmn. I see what you're saying, but I was reading it the same way as Icehot.

If the action was a intended as one-shot, I would have expected the card to instruct you to remove the card from the game as part of the cost, instead of simply discarding so it remains as part of your deck.

Could do with a definitive reply from a dev.

If something is too good to be true, it usually is. I don’t see any way to read “remove from the campaign log” as something you can do more than once, and it’s absolutely part of the cost to pay the ability (as per the costs section in the rules reference).

1 hour ago, FearLord said:

The card remains in your deck, you can put it into play if you wish, but you cannot pay the cost of its action a second time.

At the very least, in the case of Iron Man it is still a Tech Upgrade so it still adds to hand size.

Just now, IceHot42 said:

At the very least, in the case of Iron Man it is still a Tech Upgrade so it still adds to hand size.

Yes, that’s still useful, at least while you’re setting up.

Favorite combo of all time: Mountain + Lightning Bolt

Favorite Champions combo: Strength in Numbers + Avengers Assemble, especially with The Triskelion, Avengers Tower, and now Stinger too

I'm "afraid" FearLord (get it?) is correct. Crossing it off is a cost that you can't fulfill a second time.

(though, I often cross things out with two lines...hmm....)

21 hours ago, Mrsuitcase said:

I'm "afraid" FearLord (get it?) is correct. Crossing it off is a cost that you can't fulfill a second time.

(though, I often cross things out with two lines...hmm....)

I dont actually cross it off until later just in case I want to restart the scenario on a fail. Instead I just make a mental note.

Making a second mental note isnt too dificult. -> Draw 5 Cards đŸ€Ș

I cross it off mentally too - I've not bothered keeping a written log. đŸ˜¶

1 hour ago, IceHot42 said:

I dont actually cross it off until later just in case I want to restart the scenario on a fail. Instead I just make a mental note.

Making a second mental note isnt too dificult. -> Draw 5 Cards đŸ€Ș

52 minutes ago, Janaka said:

I cross it off mentally too - I've not bothered keeping a written log. đŸ˜¶

But guys, that is besides the point. The point is that whether you have a written log or not, it's apart of the cost, which means you can't play tactical scanner twice because you can't double remove something.

I don't keep a written log either, just because I play all five scenarios back to back. If I needed to take a break longer than a day from the game, or if I was playing with other people and we couldn't finish the game, then I would probably print off a log.

Edited by Venompuppy
37 minutes ago, Venompuppy said:

But guys, that is besides the point. The point is that whether you have a written log or not, it's apart of the cost, which means you can't play tactical scanner twice because you can't double remove something.

It's an X-K-Red-27 Technique.

3 hours ago, Venompuppy said:

I know. I was just being pedantic 🙂

3 hours ago, IceHot42 said:

It's an X-K-Red-27 Technique.

Ah yes. That old chestnut.