Is OP Dead?

By Nyxen, in X-Wing Organized Play

I know nothing's been stated officially, but within AAG's short history they've clearly skewed toward the casual gameplay side of the hobby. Will this hold true to X-Wing, or will they be building their own OP program?

Best place for that question will probably be in an Atomic Mass Games group.

Maybe look around here.

https://www.atomicmassgames.com/marvel/op

Yeah its Marvel but snoop around thier site.

Edited by Croste
11 hours ago, Nyxen said:

I know nothing's been stated officially, but within AAG's short history they've clearly skewed toward the casual gameplay side of the hobby. Will this hold true to X-Wing, or will they be building their own OP program?

Well for the moment OP is quarantined. Going forward everything past the first of the year all the way around is pretty much a mystery at this point. Armada and Legion have stuff that was announced by official people but it hasn't gotten announcement articles for January/Q1 but we don't know if we're going to see that stuff which is a very big deal for me with Armada. I don't want the December stuff if I'm not going to get the follow-up stuff in January and I need to decide if I'm cancelling my pre-order.

Given the nature of Crisis Protocol (the expansion strategy seems to me rapid with power creep) I'm a bit concerned for whether X-wing, Armada, and Legion will continue to exist in their present form. I also very much expect some new Star Wars game on the lines of Crisis Protocol (fewer pieces than Legion so they can be bigger, not constrained to spaces like Imperial Assault) with $30 unpainted miniatures of Luke and Han and company.

After the announced and impending releases it is a great big pile of unknown with everything going forward.

Ohh, and with the website that Atomic Mass has up I do not have high hopes for getting a new and better X-wing app.

Edited by Frimmel

From the AMG site regarding OP during Covid times - could be very different to what we have been used to for a while, but it does seem from some statements that they are keen to get OP up and running with MCP which would suggest they would also with these other games that are used to lots of OP.

https://www.atomicmassgames.com/op-announcement

Looking at some of their OP documents it does appear they use restricted and banned lists for events, may or may not transfer to x wing in some way.

When a store runs an event, the overall structure recommended will look like this:

• The store orders the event kit from their distributor.

• The store advertises the event to its players.

• Once the store receives the kit, players may come to the store to sign up for the event. When a player signs up, they receive all event materials required to play in the event.

• Players then use the store's community connection system to schedule games with each other at the store or another location of their choice.

• Once the players have played their games, they return to the store and collect their play rewards.

Edited by Storgar