Behavior Inhibitor Chips

By welldressedgent, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion RPG

I just read about these in Joaopaulon's thread. This tech has amazing plot potential ! I'm surprised it doesn't get used more. If it's economical to implant a clone army, why not implant any entire species with these chips? Why not give one to Leia instead of torturing her? It's not like The Empire has moral qualms about anything. Does FFG provide any rules for this tech?

-g

Edited by welldressedgent

The thing about clones is that the chip is bioengineered and implanted into the clones while they are still embryos. I imagine that trying to implant it into a fully-developed sentient would be much more complicated with potentially disastrous side-effects. It's also worth noting that it was suggestive and influencing, not an immediate hostile takeover. Rex was an extreme case where he knew what was going on and tried to actively resist it. Most would be so conditioned that it only takes a nudge to get them to act.

And no, FFG has no rules for it aside from an ability the clones have, upgrading the ability of Leadership checks targeting them as long as chain of command is observed.

Edited by P-47 Thunderbolt

I could see it being used as a plot device. The have slave/shock collars in the SWTOR game, so an implant wouldn't be much of a stretch.

Bad news, SuperWookie! I found the wookiepedia entry: your people get these . Presumably as adults, given their long lifespans. And rebel prisoners get them too. So maybe they don't need to be implanted in embryos. So why doesn't The Empire use them everywhere? You could build an entire civilization with these!

-g

I also imagine there would have to be some sort of compatibility component to consider. Not all organ donations can be matched up to every person in need. I imagine it was easy developing such a chip when the targets all have the same DNA.

19 hours ago, welldressedgent said:

Bad news, SuperWookie! I found the wookiepedia entry: your people get these . Presumably as adults, given their long lifespans. And rebel prisoners get them too. So maybe they don't need to be implanted in embryos. So why doesn't The Empire use them everywhere? You could build an entire civilization with these!

-g

Nooooooooo!

giphy.gif

One of the Aftermath novels (the second one, IIRC) featured prisoners liberated from Imperial facilities that had been fitted with something like these. Apparently this was not a widespread practice, for whatever reasons, and it caught the New Republic with their pants down. Please note, the novel this occurs in isn't really all that good.