"Odd Ball" will be finally viable?

By Schanez, in X-Wing

So I have been looking at the V-Wing chassis and cannot help but notice, that "Odd Ball" in it might be actually busted. Depending on the points of course. So... The chasis is a 2/3/2/2. So a squishy dumpling with little pew pew but lots of dodgy dodge. Now the dial is not perfect, with those red 1 Banks, but that might actually help the Odd Duckling do well in it. So lets consider the following build:

• R4-P44: after you fully execute a red maneuver, if there is an enemy ship in your bullseye, gain one calculate token;
  • Alpha-3B "Besh" Configuration: while you perform a primary attack, you can spend your lock on the defender to change 1 of your blank or focus results to a hit result; add a payload slot;
  • Ion Limiter Override: after you fully execute a red maneuver, you may perform a Roll action, even while stressed. If you do, roll an attack die: on a hit result gain 1 strain, and on a crit result gain 1 ion token;
  • Precision Ion Engine: before you execute a speed 1-3 K-Turn maneuver, you may spend 1 Charge to execute that maneuver as a S-Loop maneuver instead;

So technically... We push the 4 Red maneuvers to 6. We have the option to perform a Roll after each of them, although red, so its not ideal. If after all that we have an enemy in our bullseye, we gain a Calculate and a Lock on said enemy. And while we perform an attack with the pitiful 2 Dice primary, we can reroll both with a Lock, we can spend a Calculate to flip an eye and a Lock to flip a Blank or Eye. Worst case scenario, we roll 2 Blanks, spend Lock to reroll both.

This can be quite good tbh.

If you use Ion Limiter Override, the roll is white since ILO doesn't specify a color.

I do think Oddball V-Wing is the best Oddball, but it won't be busted, just useable. And mainly for that red BR. And he'll want R4 astro so that 1 hard will be blue.

10 hours ago, Schanez said:

So I have been looking at the V-Wing chassis and cannot help but notice, that "Odd Ball" in it might be actually busted. Depending on the points of course. So... The chasis is a 2/3/2/2. So a squishy dumpling with little pew pew but lots of dodgy dodge. Now the dial is not perfect, with those red 1 Banks, but that might actually help the Odd Duckling do well in it. So lets consider the following build:

• R4-P44: after you fully execute a red maneuver, if there is an enemy ship in your bullseye, gain one calculate token;
  • Alpha-3B "Besh" Configuration: while you perform a primary attack, you can spend your lock on the defender to change 1 of your blank or focus results to a hit result; add a payload slot;
  • Ion Limiter Override: after you fully execute a red maneuver, you may perform a Roll action, even while stressed. If you do, roll an attack die: on a hit result gain 1 strain, and on a crit result gain 1 ion token;
  • Precision Ion Engine: before you execute a speed 1-3 K-Turn maneuver, you may spend 1 Charge to execute that maneuver as a S-Loop maneuver instead;

So technically... We push the 4 Red maneuvers to 6. We have the option to perform a Roll after each of them, although red, so its not ideal. If after all that we have an enemy in our bullseye, we gain a Calculate and a Lock on said enemy. And while we perform an attack with the pitiful 2 Dice primary, we can reroll both with a Lock, we can spend a Calculate to flip an eye and a Lock to flip a Blank or Eye. Worst case scenario, we roll 2 Blanks, spend Lock to reroll both.

This can be quite good tbh.

“Busted” is not the word I would use. “Good?” Probably. Maybe even “very good.” But not busted. Besides, that’s a LOT of upgrades. What’s all this gonna add up to? Not that that means a loaded Odd Ball can’t be good, but he may be too expensive. We’ll see, I suppose.

10 hours ago, MegaSilver said:

If you use Ion Limiter Override, the roll is white since ILO doesn't specify a color.

I do think Oddball V-Wing is the best Oddball, but it won't be busted, just useable. And mainly for that red BR. And he'll want R4 astro so that 1 hard will be blue.

1 Bank will be white. R4 lowers the difficulty, doesn't make it blue.

25 minutes ago, Cpt ObVus said:

“Busted” is not the word I would use. “Good?” Probably. Maybe even “very good.” But not busted. Besides, that’s a LOT of upgrades. What’s all this gonna add up to? Not that that means a loaded Odd Ball can’t be good, but he may be too expensive. We’ll see, I suppose.

I don't expect the P.I.E. to be expensive, for a twice per game thing, I'd price it at 2-4 points. Astro is cheap. Question is how much will the Config cost. Adding a slot and a buff to your Lock is good, without much of a downside. Maybe 4-6? Unless the cost of configs will be baked into the chassis itself and they will be both 0. Then again I would consider the "Beach" upgrade superior to the "Esk" one in every way.

Having the ability to spend Lock to just flip a Blank is amazing. Having the ability to spend two Charges before knowing your dice results, even if you can combo it with the R7 Astro or Marksmanship is quite weak. Especially on a two dice gun. It's just unreliable. Any 3 Agility ship should avoid it without much problem. You will struggle to ionise 2 Agility ships as well. And at 1 Agility even a small ship will be a matter of luck. The only upside is, the Crit is always Ion, not like the other ion weapons, where you need more then one hit/crit to hand out a token.

I'm kind of sad the V-wing's linked action is a target lock, totally useless for Oddball. If it had been a focus though...

Anyway, Oddball is already usable. Both the torrent version with sync console and optionally any missiles, and the ARC version with Kit Fisto and R4-P are really nice. Plus, regarding cost, ARC Oddball is only 1 point more than Jag for +2 initiative.

Edited by xanatos135
21 minutes ago, xanatos135 said:

I'm kind of sad the V-wing's linked action is a target lock, totally useless for Oddball. If it had been a focus though...

Anyway, Oddball is already usable. Both the torrent version with sync console and optionally any missiles, and the ARC version with Kit Fisto and R4-P are really nice. Plus, regarding cost, ARC Oddball is only 1 point more than Jag for +2 initiative.

But he also loses a great ability

In any case, i think the most efficient way to build v-wing oddball would just be precision ion engines. I doubt «besh» will be efficient enough to be taken, and none of the other upgrades really help him trigger his ability. Might also want to throw in an R4/R4P Astro to open up the dial, since Oddball tends to be stressed a lot.

Republic support is good, he should mesh quite well with the various things they have going on. 7FG may make him quite a terror. Alternatively, there are also tools to make him the support piece.

3 hours ago, Schanez said:

1 Bank will be white. R4 lowers the difficulty, doesn't make it blue.

I believe he said 1 Hard, though. ;)

4 minutes ago, Spinland said:

I believe he said 1 Hard, though. ;)

Oh... Ahhh, maybe @MegaSilver won't notice

I mean, Odd Ball is fun, but ARC is too difficult to aim bullseye, Y-Wing is a-okay, with the roll into Lock for the Range 1 Adv. Torps or something.

As for him in the ARC being better than Jag, maybe. I will still take Jag with Plo over Odd Ball with Kit Fisto. That way you have a bully that can Reinforce and punish people for not shooting him by getting a Lock on his 3 Dice primary.

Edited by Schanez

I do think it's worth noting that Oddball in the ARC/Y pays not much for his Init 5 these days. Don't sell out on the ability and you do have a potentially punchy ship that can back up other I5s for some handily timed kills.

I'm not saying it's worth it, but I was planning to try him again. Specifically, in the Y Wing with just R4 and APT, for 49pt. With CLT Plo, Obi and another Y with 7FG, I thought it might be fun. Then things kinda changed and it never happened.

Oddball isn't even that bad in a Torrent these days. 5 points more than a Blue isn't that much. Toss on maybe Synchronized Console for a hybrid pest/support ship, and that's probably a pretty OK way to spend 32 points.

That is, if you've got a list where you want to spend 32.

Seems like it'll often work out that you've only got 26/27 for a Blue, or you'd have around 40 for a CLT Jedi or Broadside or whatever.

14 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

Oddball isn't even that bad in a Torrent these days. 5 points more than a Blue isn't that much. Toss on maybe Synchronized Console for a hybrid pest/support ship, and that's probably a pretty OK way to spend 32 points.

That is, if you've got a list where you want to spend 32.

Seems like it'll often work out that you've only got 26/27 for a Blue, or you'd have around 40 for a CLT Jedi or Broadside or whatever.

I really wanted to fly V-19 Oddball with Prockets and Plo for the focus, but HS said no :(

40 minutes ago, Cuz05 said:

I really wanted to fly V-19 Oddball with Prockets and Plo for the focus, but HS said no :(

I like Oddball with sync console and ion missiles. Even if his shot only makes the attacked ship to spend a focus or evade it seems worth it at 35, those ion missiles are so cheap now.