How to use Dwarf Pipe

By steve83, in Rules questions & answers

I'm testing out a dwarf mining deck at the moment, and making use of Dwarf Pipe to recycle discarded cards.

I understand how it works of you discard just one card. But how does it work if I discard multiple cards at a time (A Very Good Tale)? And what about if I have more than one pipe?

Say I have two Dwarf Pipes and play A Very Good Tale: can I return two of the discarded cards to the bottom of my deck? Any two of them? The last two? Do I have to decide whether to return a card before I discard the next card? Exactly when can I trigger the Pipe's response, when I am instructed to discard 5 cards in one go?

Thanks!

I don't think when you discard for A very Good Tale you discard them all at once. I believe it's one at a time. You discard a card then decide if you want to trigger the dwarf pipe on that card before discarding the next.

Edited by stimpaksam

I know this is not quite the same thing, but when you commit characters to a quest, they are committed simultaneously. So if one of those characters has a response (eg Firyal ) it triggers after all characters are committed. Which is why you can't quest first with Firyal, trigger her ability, then decide who else to commit.

I'm not certain about this, but I'm fairly sure A Very Good Tale, discards simultaneously, since it doesn't specify you should discard cards one at a time. (Compare this with spirit Dain Ironfoot, who allows you to discard up to three cards, but each one is a separate activation of his ability.)

And while not directly related, I found this in the Rules Reference:

If multiple cards would enter a discard pile simultaneously, the owner of the cards chooses the order in which those cards are placed in the discard pile.

Which seems to say that cards can be discarded simultaneously.

All of which has me now thinking I can trigger a Dwarf Pipe to return any of the discarded cards to my deck after all of them have been discarded, and repeat for each other Dwarf Pipe.

Edited by steve83

Caleb, in these rulings, implies you discard the AVGT cards one at a time, and Dwarf Pipe(s) must be fired immediately after a card you wish to save is discarded:

That second link explains it clearly enough. Thanks!