Weapon System Officer and Synchronized Console

By Pa Weasley, in X-Wing Rules Questions

swz82_a1_upgrade_weapon-systems.png

e3e5bd38f39f904fbaaa75293e56fb38.png

Just making sure this works like I think it might. Since the timing window for both of these upgrades occurs after an attack, can you do the following?

- Make an attack using a torpedo/missile and spend the lock to modify the results. Defense dice a rolled and the attack is resolved as per usual.

- After the attack, you use WSO to acquire a lock on the target. THEN, since it's still after the attack, the attacker uses SC to pass the lock to a friendly.

Am I getting a good read on these cards? It's only even possible on Republic ARCs, LAATs, and Y-Wings for the foreseeable future if that is the case.

Edited by Pa Weasley

you are correct, yes. both abilities have the same timing and none of them have any requirements. therefore, you may add them to and resolve them from the ability queue in what ever order you like.

Edited by meffo
this is not correct, since you cannot add an ability to the queue if you cannot pay it's cost at the time the queue is built.
19 minutes ago, meffo said:

you are correct, yes. both abilities have the same timing and none of them have any requirements. therefore, you may add them to and resolve them from the ability queue in what ever order you like.

I’m a little fuzzy on this... I thought you might not be able to use the Synchronized Console here, because don’t you need to add both of these to the ability queue at the same time? And since you don’t have the lock until the gunner’s ability resolves, you can’t initiate the use of Synchronized Console (because it would no longer be “after,” as in immediately after, the attack)?

I hope I’m incorrect, but if you could expand upon this a little and show me how it works, I’d appreciate it.

Edited by Cpt ObVus
11 minutes ago, Cpt ObVus said:

I’m a little fuzzy on this... I thought you might not be able to use the Synchronized Console here, because don’t you need to add both of these to the ability queue at the same time? And since you don’t have the lock until the gunner’s ability resolves, you can’t initiate the use of Synchronized Console (because it would no longer be “after,” as in immediately after, the attack)?

I hope I’m incorrect, but if you could expand upon this a little and show me how it works, I’d appreciate it.

Having a lock isnt actually a requirement to put Sync Console into the queue. You can put it in the queue even if you dont have a lock, and when it comes time to use it, if you still dont have a lock, then the ability just doesn't resolve.

In order for it to be a requirement , it would need something like this wording..

After you perform an attack, if you have a lock on the defender , you may choose a friendly ship at range 1....

That would make it a requirement.

Edited by Lyianx
cant spell
8 minutes ago, Lyianx said:

Having a lock isnt actually a requirement to put Sync Console into the queue. You can put it in the queue even if you dont have a lock, and when it comes time to use it, if you still dont have a lock, then the ability just doesn't resolve.

In order for it to be a requirement , it would need something like this wording..

After you perform an attack, if you have a lock on the defender , you may choose a friendly ship at range 1....

That would make it a requirement.

So the paying of a cost (“...you may spend a lock you have on the defender”) is not part of the requirement to initiate the ability. Got it.

1 hour ago, Cpt ObVus said:

So the paying of a cost (“...you may spend a lock you have on the defender”) is not part of the requirement to initiate the ability. Got it.

Actually it is, as mentioned in this post , " An ability cannot be added to the queue if its cost could not be paid at the time it is added."

Which makes me think this may not work.

3 minutes ago, joeshmoe554 said:

Actually it is, as mentioned in this post , " An ability cannot be added to the queue if its cost could not be paid at the time it is added."

Which makes me think this may not work.

Yeah, there was something fishy with this, but I couldn’t quite articulate it.

It seems like the spending of the lock is a cost, and you can’t put the ability in the queue before you have the lock, and by the time Weapons Systems Officer does his thing, it’s too late.

Totally open to correction on this, if I have it wrong!

i believe you are correct and i was mistaken. @joeshmoe554 is right. even though it is a may -statement and there is no ability's requirement, you still need to be able to pay the cost when you add the ability to the queue.

Capture.png

in other words, the combo doesn't work if you don't already have a lock.

11 minutes ago, meffo said:

i believe you are correct and i was mistaken. @joeshmoe554 is right. even though it is a may -statement and there is no ability's requirement, you still need to be able to pay the cost when you add the ability to the queue.

Capture.png

in other words, the combo doesn't work if you don't already have a lock.

Which is achievable by adding R3 astromech to the combo. This limits the ships that can do this to the BTL-B and the ARC 170.

Edited by Hiemfire
25 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Which is achievable by adding R3 astromech to the combo. This limits the ships that can do this to the BTL-B and the ARC 170.

R3 doesn't let you have two locks on the same object, though. it wouldn't work since you have to have a lock on the defender after the attack to add the synchronized console ability to the queue.

You just need a lock to spend in order to add it to the queue, you don't technically have to select a target until you use the ability so you could have a lock on another ship, use that lock to add the ability to the queue and then acquire a lock on your real target and spend that one when using the ability.

36 minutes ago, joeshmoe554 said:

You just need a lock to spend in order to add it to the queue, you don't technically have to select a target until you use the ability so you could have a lock on another ship, use that lock to add the ability to the queue and then acquire a lock on your real target and spend that one when using the ability.

nah, the card says "and spend a lock you have on the defender." - and you need to be able to pay that cost to add the ability to the queue.

Well, on a flip side, the two cards allows to "multiply" a single lock on the defender into a whole array of locks for the whole squad, as there's nothing preventing the use of them in the order SC -> WSO, right? Making it so that each consecutive ship passes a lock to a friendly just to reacquire it right afterwards?

This allows to set up single-moded volley #1 (everyone focuses in preparation for a lock being passed) and double-moded volley #2?

2 hours ago, Ryfterek said:

Well, on a flip side, the two cards allows to "multiply" a single lock on the defender into a whole array of locks for the whole squad, as there's nothing preventing the use of them in the order SC -> WSO, right? Making it so that each consecutive ship passes a lock to a friendly just to reacquire it right afterwards?

This allows to set up single-moded volley #1 (everyone focuses in preparation for a lock being passed) and double-moded volley #2?

that does sound more useful. passing the lock along with synchronized console and then acquiring a new one with weapon systems officer. you'd need to perform special attacks with the lock requirement, though - and loading up your whole squad with SC, WSO and special weapons could get costly. you have three platforms to choose from, y-wings, LAATs and arcs.

the problem is you still wouldn't get double mods, though. you can't spend the lock if you want to send it along with synchronized console. in other words, it doesn't seem to be worth it.

Wanted to just offer my random thoughts on this that it seems like both a totally legal and semi-viable strategy.

Say you have an "Oddball" Y-Wing (with R4-P17), ARC-170, and LAATi - all with Weapons System Officer and Synchronized Console, in order of initiative.

Oddball acquires a lock and is able to focus with R4-P17, fires off a torp without spending a lock but perhaps re-rolls his results with the LAATi's 'Fire Convergence' ability. Then at that moment he spends the lock and passes it to the focused ARC-170 with SC but then re-acquires a lock with WSO. Then the focused ARC-170 may do the same thing, fires a torp without spending a lock but maybe modifies his results with 'Fire Convergence'. Then spends the lock and passes it to the focused LAATi with SC and re-acquires the lock with WSO, who can spend the lock on his attack and reacquire it with WSO.

Then because these are beefy republic bois they are probably still alive after the first round and can hopefully get a double-mod volley since everyone has a lock from last round.