Targeting Astromech

By billyyank, in X-Wing

I've been away from the game for a while, so please forgive my ignorance. The version 1.0 T-70 came with the Targeting Astromech. But in version 2.0, I don't see that upgrade anywhere. Is there an equivalent astromech in version 2.0? It was perhaps my favorite astromech.

Pattern Analyzer is not a droid, but can be taken by T70s and allows an action after a red move

Yeah, that was one of my favorite combos in 1.0. Targeting astromech with a pattern analyzer. So I do a K-turn or Talon roll, get a target lock, then either focus or boost, and then get a stress token. It looks like I can't do that in 2.0.

3 hours ago, billyyank said:

Yeah, that was one of my favorite combos in 1.0. Targeting astromech with a pattern analyzer. So I do a K-turn or Talon roll, get a target lock, then either focus or boost, and then get a stress token. It looks like I can't do that in 2.0.

So, if you come straight from 1.0, know that most 1.0 combo are ''too good'' for the 2.0 environment. They either gave too many actions, were to easy to trigger, or just triggered too often with too beneficial an effect.
However, if you want to do something similar, there's still way to do that, you just gotta work for it :
Nien numb with patter analyser : Nien numb can Kturn behind someone, use PA to get a lock, shed stress and do regular action focus or boost. With S-foil closed, he might even do broll-focus, and shed stress, for a wooping 3 actions without stress. Gotta prepare that engagement though, cause you need someone at range 1 when you do all that.
Poe could also do it with PA, but he'd end up double stressed, so make sure that you don't mind next turn.

In a similar way, Holo (first Order Tie-BA pilot) with proud tradition and pattern analyser can kturn, lock with PA, focus with proud, and give stress to an ally at range 1-2, and do it again next turn. As long as your placement is correct with your list, she can be a Tie-defender on steroid, without the cost of one.

All in all, a bunch of pilot can do a similar trick, it's often just a matter of finding the right list for it and having to fly expertly to make it happen... which is mostly what 2.0 is all about :P

So how about this?

Nien Numb with Pattern Analyzer, R4 Astromech, Predator, and Afterburners.

Ello Asty with Pattern Analyzer, R4 Astromech, and Predator.

Kare Kun with Pattern Analyzer, R4 Astromech, Predator, and Afterburners.

The FFG app gives this list 200 points.

In your build, Nien does get to do crazy shenanigans, if he gets someone in range 1 after a red maneuver. Example: red manuever, PA action, clears stress, normal action, then afterburners.

Ello won't get a bonus PA action on talon rolls, because they are treated as white, not red.

Kare just gets the actions from PA and Afterburners on a red maneuver.

Also, side note, trip T-70 lists typically don't fare well, so if you're trying to run this list for anything other than funsies, it'll probably get rekt.

When I was running the list in 1.0 with the Targeting Astromech and PA, it worked great when it worked. When it failed, it failed hard. I have a lot of trouble putting together a decent list that can work under most circumstances. With 2.0 on the scene, it looks like a whole new game. It might take me a while to figure out the new mechanics. Where can I go to find decently strong lists that I can begin working with? Since the game is way more specialized than it used to be, I'll have to concentrate on the Rebels and/or Resistance. I can't afford to get every faction.

Thanks for all the advice.

2.0 is definitely a game where more ships>more upgrades by and large. There are notable exceptions, cough boba Fenn coughcough, but for the most part having more dice and hp on the table is the better strat

2 hours ago, Nyxen said:

2.0 is definitely a game where more ships>more upgrades by and large. There are notable exceptions, cough boba Fenn coughcough, but for the most part having more dice and hp on the table is the better strat

So instead of synergizing for actions, perhaps I should use two T-70s of some sort and maybe two A_wings. There would still be some room for upgrades like R4 astromechs, but that would be four ships on the table instead of three.

On 11/13/2020 at 3:50 PM, billyyank said:

When I was running the list in 1.0 with the Targeting Astromech and PA, it worked great when it worked. When it failed, it failed hard. I have a lot of trouble putting together a decent list that can work under most circumstances. With 2.0 on the scene, it looks like a whole new game. It might take me a while to figure out the new mechanics. Where can I go to find decently strong lists that I can begin working with? Since the game is way more specialized than it used to be, I'll have to concentrate on the Rebels and/or Resistance. I can't afford to get every faction.

Thanks for all the advice.

Look at the X-Wing Squad Lists sub forum. Plenty to work with starting there.

On 11/12/2020 at 9:58 PM, billyyank said:

Meanwhile, here we are in 2.0, and it's annoying that even Pattern Analyzer exists.

@billyyank , here’s a list that feels like it has some legs. I’ve played resistance sparingly, but A-Wings and Finn are good. And Nien is built to do his thing. There’s still room to throw R4 on him, if you want.

(41) Zizi Tlo [RZ-2 A-wing]
(1) Heroic
(2) Crack Shot
(4) Advanced Optics

(36) Tallissan Lintra [RZ-2 A-wing]
(1) Heroic
(2) Crack Shot
(4) Advanced Optics

(55) Nien Nunb [T-70 X-wing]
(0) Integrated S-foils
(1) Heroic
(5) Pattern Analyzer
(2) Black One

(29) Finn [Resistance Transport Pod]
(8) Perceptive Copilot
(1) Heroic
(4) Advanced Optics

Total points: 196

On 11/17/2020 at 2:36 PM, Synel said:

@billyyank , here’s a list that feels like it has some legs. I’ve played resistance sparingly, but A-Wings and Finn are good. And Nien is built to do his thing. There’s still room to throw R4 on him, if you want.

(41) Zizi Tlo [RZ-2 A-wing]
(1) Heroic
(2) Crack Shot
(4) Advanced Optics

(36) Tallissan Lintra [RZ-2 A-wing]
(1) Heroic
(2) Crack Shot
(4) Advanced Optics

(55) Nien Nunb [T-70 X-wing]
(0) Integrated S-foils
(1) Heroic
(5) Pattern Analyzer
(2) Black One

(29) Finn [Resistance Transport Pod]
(8) Perceptive Copilot
(1) Heroic
(4) Advanced Optics

Total points: 196

This isn't a bad list at all however if you want to add a little more punch to the list you can drop crack shot from both awings and advanced optics from Finn. Finn is still solid with Perco and heroic only. You should have enough points for a Proton Rocket on each A-wing.