Do you have Clone Wars Questions? Post here.

By Karneck, in Star Wars: Armada Rules Questions

6 hours ago, Green Knight said:

Now you (slightly) confuse me.

WHEN = 1 instance?

Or, bc they are separate cards, EACH CARD can apply its WHEN?

w9_off_hyperwave-signal-boost.png

In this case its because each card can apply the "when", let me show examples.

See Targeting scramblers.

"While a friendly ship at distance 1-3 is defending at close range, during the Spend Defense Tokens step, you may exhaust this card to force the attacker to reroll up to 4 dice of your choice.”

and its FAQ
"Multiple copies of this card can each resolve their effect during the same attack. Each card’s effect must be resolved separately."

Compared to Task Force Antilles

"When you suffer damage from an attack, you may choose and exhaust a copy of this card on another friendly ship at distance 1-3. If you do, that ship suffers 1 of your damage instead. While this card is exhausted, you cannot spend engineering points."

And its FAQ
"When resolving this card’s effect, you cannot choose and exhaust more than one copy of this card."

The "When" is still happening, you can only activate squadrons on "your fleets turn."
Your turn to activate? Then you may exhaust "this card". If there are multiple copies of "this card" to exhaust, and since they are each on a different ship, it is NOT the "same ship" resolving each "this card", it is each separate ship resolving "this card". This is not a limitor.

We know that this works due to Scramblers FAQ.

Compared to TFA and TFO wording and FAQ, which STATES you can only choose "a copy" (As in single. 1) on another friendly ship (a target, single, 1). This is a limiter.

11 hours ago, ovinomanc3r said:

Sorry for still pushing with Iden and Mothma.

I get that you cannot resolve the normal evade effect AND Iden/Mothma to add up these effects but the question is, is the new thing about discarding evade tokens against larger ships part of the "default" evade token effect? If it is, why could Iden cancel two dice at short as she is not resolving the evade effect rather than her own effect.

How I understood this: I spend an evade token and I might choose to resolve it's effects or Versio's/Mothma's effect.

If the extra die thing is compatible with these card effects Iden could cancel two dice and Mothma should reroll three.

why could Iden cancel two dice at short as she is not resolving the evade effect rather than her own effect.

Because instead of rerolling two dice with evades effect when the token is discarded. You are choosing to cancel dice instead.
You don't get the rerolls and cancelling of dice, nor a mix of the two. Its one effect (the standard) or the other (Idens).

How I understood this: I spend an evade token and I might choose to resolve it's effects or Versio's/Mothma's effect.

If the extra die thing is compatible with these card effects Iden could cancel two dice and Mothma should reroll three.

Yes, this is correct. This is how it works.

What I was clearing up before, was people thought you could use the standard evade effect, but ALSO Idens and Mothmas to cancel or reroll MORE dice.
Like 2reroll + 2 cancel for Iden, or 2reroll+3reroll for Mothma.

When as you state, its either 2 reroll OR 2 cancel for Iden.
Or 2 reroll OR 3 roll for Mothma.

Does this help explain more?

From @Garrett17

For the new clone wars cards:

Hypwerwave Signal Boost - so as read (and interpreted by CGYSO) it appears as though this card's only benefit is to let you activate squadrons up to your squadron value rather than only 2 in the squadron phase with the the AI part only working when you make an attack. But since that doesn't kick in unless you attack something and squadrons in the squadron phase can't move and attack that seems to imply the AI boost only works if you are attacking only. Given how reliant on squadron commanding the separatists are does this strike anyone else here as a misprint and that really squadrons activated by this card should get the full benefits of being commanded (move and/or attack)?

Swivel-Mount Batteries - the text on the card says to subtract one dice from adjacent arcs when attacking but since it doesn't specify ships it seems to suggest squadron attacks suffer as well (as interpreted by CGYSO) which strikes me as silly but that's what's said on the card. I'd be willing to bet this should read "when attacking a ship from an adjacent arc..."

Thoughts? What do people think the designer intent was with these cards? Would anyone happen to know?

Please see answers for HSB on page 2. If you have more questions on how the card works. Please ask.
Given how reliant on squadron commanding the separatists are does this strike anyone else here as a misprint and that really squadrons activated by this card should get the full benefits of being commanded (move and/or attack)?

Yes, the card is working as designed and intended. Otherwise the card would of simply of granted Rogue or stated they were activated by a squadron command. See Han Solo squadron as an example. Due to NDA, I cannot discuss more about the design process of the card.

For Swivel Mount Batteries.
Here is everything I've collected and been discussed thus far.

Q: Does this card remove a die when making anti squadron attacks in “adjacent hull zones”?
A: It does. This would also affect other card effects like “Ordnance Pods”

Q: Does salvo attacks lose a die when a side hull zone is marked with a focus token?

A: Salvo attacks originate from the hull zone that is defending. You are just gathering a dice pool using the “printed rear armament” of the rear hull zone. Not from the rear hull zone itself. Thus if the Salvo attack is originating from an “adjacent hull zone” of the marked Focus hull zone. It would lose a die from its attack pool.

Q: When does this card effect take place? Before rolling or after rolling?

A:

So this card effect, since it is an "add" effect, when attacking a ship. You "add" the dice in Step 3 of an attack. So AFTER the dice pool is rolled.
The "remove" die effect in the "adjacent hull zone" is applied after die are gathered but BEFORE the attack pool is rolled. The same timing as when you remove a die due to obstruction.

Please refer to DTT.
"While attacking you may exhaust this card to add 1 red die to your attack pool. If you do, choose and cancel 1 attack die."

Note how DTT mentions that you need to "cancel" an attack die, but cancelling can only happen in step 3 of an attack. After the attack pool has been rolled.

Note that for Swivels, it doesn't mention that a die is "cancelled" in the non focus zone.

remove and replace are wording and terms for things that happen BEFORE rolling an attack pool, but AFTER dice have been gathered. (See Sato and Heavy Fire Zone)

because those words, in and of themselves, are not modifying dice. But also because they are NOT mentioned terms as a modifying die effect in step 3 per RRG. If a die is "removed", the term is "canceled" after an attack pool is rolled.

now, is that the most solid and bullet proof of a defense? It is not, but its "supported" by RRG. The card does need official clarification though.

Thoughts? What do people think the designer intent was with these cards? Would anyone happen to know?

Swivel Mount Batteries are working as designed and intended. Due to NDA, I cannot discuss more about the design process of the card.

Edited by Karneck

What happens if a ship that has a pile of tokens (such as from a Munitions Resupply card) that are waiting to be deployed to other ships draws a damage card that says 'Discard all your command tokens. You may not have command tokens.' ?

54 minutes ago, flatpackhamster said:

What happens if a ship that has a pile of tokens (such as from a Munitions Resupply card) that are waiting to be deployed to other ships draws a damage card that says 'Discard all your command tokens. You may not have command tokens.' ?

If the command tokens are on an Upgrade Card , then they are not on the ship . They are on the Upgrade Card.

Thus, they would not be discarded when the ship is forced to discard all of its command tokens.

An important distinction on Location. Essentially, if you don't make that distinction, you have things like the command tokens of munitions resupply being able to be used by the ship without going through the mechanics of the card itself.

Edited by Drasnighta

Can I use reactive gunnery if my available readied defense tokens were all accuracy'd?

1 hour ago, SithLrd88 said:

Can I use reactive gunnery if my available readied defense tokens were all accuracy'd?

If you are not able to spend a "readied defense token" due to accuracies, then you would be unable to use this card.

I have a question about General Grievous squadron version. It probably was asked but I could not find an answer.

As I read the ability, in a situation where a squadron does not have any defense token, I assume that the ability trigger as the required restriction of a readied defense token is not found.

I assume that it is the same for a ship or squadron who discarded/lost all of its defense token.

I feel that of the ability needed to see a defense token it would have been written more like: If the defender only have exhausted defense token, each crit icons add one damage.

swm37_general-grievous.png

21 minutes ago, Winor85 said:

I have a question about General Grievous squadron version. It probably was asked but I could not find an answer.

As I read the ability, in a situation where a squadron does not have any defense token, I assume that the ability trigger as the required restriction of a readied defense token is not found.

I assume that it is the same for a ship or squadron who discarded/lost all of its defense token.

I feel that of the ability needed to see a defense token it would have been written more like: If the defender only have exhausted defense token, each crit icons add one damage.

This is correct. Generics do not have readied defense tokens. Grievous mulches generics.

Yup, Grievous is good.

Absolutely his personification of a Bully, and of a guy who only kills Jedi once his Magnaguards have softened them up considerably.