VTT Options

By Sorin777, in Game Masters

Greetings,

I've seen some older docs for character sheet and dice scripts for Roll20, but it s unclear to me how well they are currently supported. I want to fun some EOTE games virtually, and am looking for recommendations. On that note, if there are any GM's running a VTT game, I wouldn't mind joining your sessions as a player to get a feel for the player experience.

Thanks

Hi!

My favorite online dice roller is vanlevy.com . Easy, clean, shared rooms. My group uses Roll20 and that and we're good to go.

If you are playing over Discord, the SkyJedi dicebot is quite good.

There's also RPG Sessions for Discord, which has a dice roller and character sheet integration (with an import function for character's made using Oggdude's Character Generator).

Thanks for the replies, I'm checking these out tonight.

The SWRPG group on discord is great for assembling online games, and has dicebots. I use tabletop simulator for my games.

2 hours ago, Fistofpaper said:

The SWRPG group on discord is great for assembling online games, and has dicebots. I use tabletop simulator for my games.

I'm back and forth between buying Foundry VTT or Tabletop Simulator. My next campaign will be Genesys, not Star Wars. Looking at Tabletop Simulator, it looks like I would have to put in quite a bit of time making each map. I'm used to roll20 where I can make custom 2D maps with other software and quickly import them or find something I like online for a top-down view with no prep. The 3D looks great, but I'm worried I will have to dedicate lots of time creating maps in advance and if I suddenly need something unexpected, play may grind to a stop while I try to throw something presentable together?

Example: Players stop into an inn and a fight breaks out. Something I didn't have planned. I don't want to use the same 3D inn map I used last game session since this is a new village. In roll20 I could quickly google for an inn map and open it up. With TTS it looks like I would have to use something I had already created, or pause play while I piece by piece put together a 3D map?

Tell me if I'm wrong please.

I have no experience with Foundry, however if you use the One World add-in for TTS, the maps take only as long as you want to put effort in to them. Since assets are web-hosted, there is no upload of maps, like Roll20. Find a map online to use, then paste in the link. That's the base of map creation. If you want to add models, use One World to save their state.

The time investment is front loaded. Do it once, and never again.

My group uses RPG Sessions, really loving it.

Specifically designed for Star Wars and Genysis, and can be linked to feed all the rolls into Discord

Edited by Stethemessiah
My usual awful typing