TIE/ln Fighter Mk II Title?

By JBFancourt, in X-Wing

aren't there stats on wookiepedia to go with?

On 11/9/2020 at 8:25 PM, JBFancourt said:

He also said he watched some YouTube or other about the history of the squishy weak TIE coming from computer games more or less needing the DND goblin equivalent of weak monsters for the Level 1 Characters to smash through. Kinda interesting...

Pretty sure TIE Fighters not having shields or hyperdrives was already established by at least the Thrawn Trilogy, and those were pre-X-Wing PC games.

On 11/11/2020 at 2:28 PM, Jo Jo said:

In my head-canon the X-wings and Y-wings were running full power to engines mostly to stay elusive enough to avoid the Turbolasers. It was basically thought to be a suicide mission so go full speed and **** the shields. I do wish there was a line in there to mention that.

There is...

20 minutes ago, DarthEnderX said:

Pretty sure TIE Fighters not having shields or hyperdrives was already established by at least the Thrawn Trilogy, and those were pre-X-Wing PC games.

Yeah. Star Wars has a pretty sprawling transmedia landscape in regards to Legends alone. It would be really hard to pin down the origins of 'cruddy TIE' but I do know its extremely early. I believe TIEs were explicitly unshielded in the West End RPG, so that was in the late 80's. It is possible that it was part of the background technical information from the start.

Regardless of the origin, it is 'true' now. Star Wars as a product is as much about the transmedia as the primary source, and even Lucas himself when he was in charge tried to preserve the EU when he could and collaborate with other authors. The original films are arguably a pretty small (if absolutely critical) part of Star Wars, at least to the fandom itself.

I mean obviously, we are all being mega nerds about it talking about three different Star Wars games and the precedent created by all of them.

Edited by dezzmont