Resitance 5 A's

By 01jbell, in X-Wing Squad Lists

Finial Got my 5th A wing, so want to try out a few 5 A wings lists. I have a current idea for a list. But not sure if I should strip some of the upgrades for a bid or leave it as is.

I have tried to go for 3 I5 aces with 2 blocking A wings.

Not sure if I should go for a bid if i should what should I drop. I could drop Deadeye shot or I could drop the 3rd I5 A wing. I am not sure.

I think Deadeye shot seems like at the end game can really help when a single 2 dice gun may not do enough. But getting some thing in bulls eye may be too risky for a end game A wing.

But any comments and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Zizi Tlo (41)
Heroic (1)
Deadeye Shot (1)
Advanced Optics (4)

Ship total: 47 Half Points: 24 Threshold: 2

Tallissan Lintra (36)
Heroic (1)
Advanced Optics (4)

Ship total: 41 Half Points: 21 Threshold: 2

Seftin Vanik (36)
Heroic (1)
Deadeye Shot (1)
Advanced Optics (4)

Ship total: 42 Half Points: 21 Threshold: 2

Merl Cobben (32)
Intimidation (3)

Ship total: 35 Half Points: 18 Threshold: 2

Blue Squadron Recruit (32)
Intimidation (3)

Total: 200

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Resistance&d=v8ZsZ200Z387X172W343WW186Y240X172WWW186Y447X172W343WW186Y444X122WWY301X122WW&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

There are wiser people than me at building 5A, but I've played against it a lot. I feel my chances of a good result improve with every copy of Heroic and Optics that's missing....

I like the Intimidation idea, but one of the main problems I face is that they can all just turn away and keep shooting at you. The more guns firing, the better, I reckon. Blocking is obviously good, and often important, the fact that you can go for one, rotate and possibly still shoot if you fail is neat. Making it a chief tactic might be risky though. Losing 2 of your ships too soon usually ends in misery for 5A.

The I5s possibly want at least a small bid too.

But there are a lot of new tools, the 2 new guys you have there are unknown factors for me. So don't take my word for what is now the best build.

Apart from too many copies of Starbird Slash being unhelpful....

2 hours ago, Cuz05 said:

There are wiser people than me at building 5A, but I've played against it a lot. I feel my chances of a good result improve with every copy of Heroic and Optics that's missing....

I like the Intimidation idea, but one of the main problems I face is that they can all just turn away and keep shooting at you. The more guns firing, the better, I reckon. Blocking is obviously good, and often important, the fact that you can go for one, rotate and possibly still shoot if you fail is neat. Making it a chief tactic might be risky though. Losing 2 of your ships too soon usually ends in misery for 5A.

The I5s possibly want at least a small bid too.

But there are a lot of new tools, the 2 new guys you have there are unknown factors for me. So don't take my word for what is now the best build.

Apart from too many copies of Starbird Slash being unhelpful....

here is another idea I have the only thing is I am not sure if the loss a I5 is worth the 4 point bid and 3 ships at I1.

Zizi Tlo (41)
Heroic (1)
Advanced Optics (4)

Ship total: 46 Half Points: 23 Threshold: 2

Seftin Vanik (36)
Heroic (1)
Advanced Optics (4)

Ship total: 41 Half Points: 21 Threshold: 2

Heroic (1)
Advanced Optics (4)

Ship total: 37 Half Points: 19 Threshold: 2

Heroic (1)
Advanced Optics (4)

Merl Cobben (32)
Intimidation (3)

Total: 196

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Resistance&d=v8ZsZ200Z387X172WWW186Y447X172WWW186Y301X172WW186Y301X172WW186Y444X122WW&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

My 5A pal generally goes with Zizi, Tallie, Greer as a start point. I don't think I've ever seen him take an evade, (other than Zizi's free one), so I'm not convinced Seftin's ability is really worth anything. Then again, the only abilities I've seen proc on even a semi regular basis are Zizi's and Greer's, both of which are excellent. The contenders are all 36pt though, so the choice may be moot.

I do think Merl is a solid addition, although he didn't manage to proc in the 2 games I had against him. (Intimidation would have).

Whether it's an idea to include Greer over an I5 on the basis of her ability, I couldn't say. Initiative is certainly one of the lists better tools though, so it's worth investing in.

Honestly though, beyond getting as many Heroptics as possible in with 2 I5s, I wouldn't know where to go. As far as I can remember, 5x Heroic, 3 or 4x Optics, 2x I5 and Greer seems to have been his best version.

Crack Shot was certainly a massive part of the equation at one time, but things have changed since then.

It's a list that definitely bears multiple test runs and tweaks to see what sticks and what does not. I know it took him a while to settle on it. And now with new things, it's gone back to the drawing board a little.

Edited by Cuz05

Seftin's value really seems to be he's an I5. And, initiative kills ARE extremely valuable in this game.

On 11/6/2020 at 3:53 PM, KingmanHighborn said:

Seftin's value really seems to be he's an I5. And, initiative kills ARE extremely valuable in this game.

the Ini kill idea was behind the first list, with two intimidation blockers and one of them can lower a AG twice. it helps improve my INI killing.

its still a toss up about getting rid of dead eye or keeping it as I am not sure if 2 points is enough of a bid to make it worth while for any I5 list. It may just come in handy against I1 swarms but either way if I can't use them as blockers I can still just use them as A wings, so may not be a problem.

I started playing X-wing earlier this year and have 50+ games with 5A's. I am by no means an expert, but I can hold my own with them.

This was my go to list before HoH.

5A
(41) Zizi Tlo [RZ-2 A-wing]
(1) Heroic
(4) Advanced Optics

(36) Tallissan Lintra [RZ-2 A-wing]
(1) Heroic

(36) Greer Sonnel [RZ-2 A-wing]
(1) Heroic
(4) Advanced Optics

(32) Blue Squadron Recruit [RZ-2 A-wing]
(1) Heroic
(4) Advanced Optics

(1) Heroic
(4) Advanced Optics

Total points: 198

I'm currently trying out a new version that trades an AO for another I5 and a larger bid. After testing a bit more I might swap 2x Starbird Slash for Intimidation on Merl. Other things to consider is swapping his AO for ATP and give Tallie AO.

5A
(1) Heroic
(4) Advanced Optics

(1) Heroic
(1) Starbird Slash

(36) Seftin Vanik [RZ-2 A-wing]
(1) Heroic
(1) Starbird Slash

(32) Merl Cobben [RZ-2 A-wing]
(1) Heroic
(4) Advanced Optics

(1) Heroic
(4) Advanced Optics

Total points: 196

Also, this list was flown in the Galactic Championship finals and it performed really well. It has one less A-wing but it packs a lot of punch and has a hefty bid.

4A
(6) Proton Rockets
(1) Heroic
(1) Starbird Slash
(4) Advanced Optics

(6) Proton Rockets
(1) Heroic
(1) Starbird Slash
(4) Advanced Optics

(6) Proton Rockets
(1) Heroic
(1) Starbird Slash
(4) Advanced Optics

(3) Intimidation
(4) Advanced Optics

Total points: 188

4 hours ago, Blue squadron recruit said:

I'm currently trying out a new version that trades an AO for another I5 and a larger bid. After testing a bit more I might swap 2x Starbird Slash for Intimidation on Merl. Other things to consider is swapping his AO for ATP and give Tallie AO.

5A
(1) Heroic
(4) Advanced Optics

(1) Heroic
(1) Starbird Slash

(1) Heroic
(1) Starbird Slash

(1) Heroic
(4) Advanced Optics

(1) Heroic
(4) Advanced Optics

Total points: 196

I like this list,

what do you think of putting Intimidation on Merl and Blue Squad as they will be used as blockers mostly.

I am planning to try this on TTS at the weekend, does give me a 4 point bid. I got two intimidation blockers and 2 tooled up I5s and a bare bones I5 for filler.

I am still on a toss up of removing the intimidation of the blue recruit and adding heroic in stead and adding advanced optics to Lintra but not sure as only gives me a 2 point bid then.

I feel the more -1 AG I can toss around the better the 2 dice guns become.

Zizi Tlo (41)
Heroic (1)
Starbird Slash (1)
Advanced Optics (4)

Ship total: 47

Seftin Vanik (36)
Heroic (1)
Starbird Slash (1)
Advanced Optics (4)

Ship total: 42

Tallissan Lintra (36)
Heroic (1)

Ship total: 37

Merl Cobben (32)
Intimidation (3)

Ship total: 35

Intimidation (3)

Ship total: 35

With Tallie and Seftin it is always a bit of a gamble to spend your focus token, unless they don't get fired upon. The I1's can usually safely spend their token if they have it.

After Zizi the I1's are the first ones to recieve AO in my lists. Players like to hunt down the I5's if they can, which makes the I1's with AO excellent damage dealers.

Also, I think you will struggle a bit with only two AO's. I think three is the absolute minimum.

Edited by Blue squadron recruit
16 hours ago, Blue squadron recruit said:

With Tallie and Seftin it is always a bit of a gamble to spend your focus token, unless they don't get fired upon. The I1's can usually safely spend their token if they have it.

After Zizi the I1's are the first ones to recieve AO in my lists. Players like to hunt down the I5's if they can, which makes the I1's with AO excellent damage dealers.

Also, I think you will struggle a bit with only two AO's. I think three is the absolute minimum.

I can see that I guess since a 5 A wing list can either have a deep bid but less toys, or a small bid with more toys and in the latter AO works better on the I1 as you know for sure if you can spend or not spend the focus.

I have been having a play with starbird slash and seems better then heroic in a 5 A wing list. What do you think of this list below,

I drop a I5 for a I1 but then have 4 ships with AO which may be more helpful, also the star bird slash at I1 and at I5 means even if a ship does a blue move after the I1 starbird I could get them with the I5 or even better multiple strain on a ship so multiple A wing attacks get the -1 AG.

I am thinking that A wings as blockers are good but trying to force them with Int means the lose their effectiveness in later rounds. But once in person games start up again ( **** covid) I want to try out both starbird and AO vs Int on I1s see which is better.

Zizi Tlo (41)
Heroic (1)
Starbird Slash (1)
Advanced Optics (4)

Ship total: 47 Half Points: 24 Threshold: 2

Seftin Vanik (36)
Starbird Slash (1)
Heroic (1)

Ship total: 38 Half Points: 19 Threshold: 2

Starbird Slash (1)
Advanced Optics (4)

Merl Cobben (32)
Starbird Slash (1)
Advanced Optics (4)

Starbird Slash (1)
Advanced Optics (4)

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Resistance&d=v8ZsZ200Z387X172W344WW186Y447X344W172WWY301X344WW186Y444X344WW186Y301X344WW186&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

I think you should experiment with the different upgrades until you find a setting that you enjoy flying. It is all part of the fun.

If you want my opinion on your list, I think AO works better with heroic.

Here is a variant of your list that I will try out the next time I'm flying Hyperspace.

(1) Heroic
(1) Starbird Slash
(4) Advanced Optics

(1) Heroic
(1) Starbird Slash
(4) Advanced Optics

(1) Heroic
(4) Advanced Optics