Civil War?

By mike8104, in Marvel Champions: The Card Game

Has there been any discussion or thought given to a competitive version of Champions? It might be really cool to have a "Civil War" expansion deck that provides scenario specific cards that would adjust the mechanics of the game to allow for head-to-head battling. Perhaps some permanent setup cards could be in play that adjust base stats and each player has their own "scheme" card with an issue they're dealing with and have to keep in check while they battle the other. Not sure what that could possibly entail but I've been trying to give it some thought. Anyone attempt anything like this?

I prefer the co-op nature of the game. There have been a couple of head-to-head/PvP deckbuilder/deck-cyclers, most of which were marginal....

Star Realms, Star Trek Deckbuilder, Nightfall, Ascension, Shards of Infinity

Lets not redo one of the dumbest story lines of the comics. Thanks.

I don’t have a problem with heroes battling it out once in a while, but on a scale that big was just utterly stupid.

Heroes are to fight villains first and foremost.

1 hour ago, Hyperjayman said:

Lets not redo one of the dumbest story lines of the comics. Thanks.

I don’t have a problem with heroes battling it out once in a while, but on a scale that big was just utterly stupid.

Heroes are to fight villains first and foremost.

I actually really enjoyed Civil War as a comics storyline.

I don’t think it’s appropriate for the mechanics of this game however outside of some kind of special scenario (maybe like a Gen Con thing?)

I highly doubt that they will, given that they have permission from Disney to develop their own stories and to date, no version or interpretation of any comic book series has been implemented.
Taking into account that this is a cooperative game in its conception, it seems contradictory to do a competitive scenario. If what you are looking for is a fight between superheroes, this is not the game. VS system or Dice Masters, rather.

While personally would not be interested, I don't think it would be all that hard to develop.

The villain mechanics would work fine as a framework to start working out how a hero could function as the villain, just put the hero and their deck in the villain's place with some slight modifications. You might have to start them with some stuff...Iron Man form with his suit, Black Panther with his, etc...a Leadership deck with an ally or two...they draw a card/2 cards/3 cards (adjust for balance) and play them regardless of cost. It might be an attachment, might be an ally, might be something like...say 4 justice. For that you could have some sort of mirror system...you are trying to get to 30 thwart, they are also or you start at 30, if they remove it all you lose...and just battle hp. Obviously they would need multiplication on their HP. And it would rely on you playing them the best of your ability.

I see flaws in this but you could easily build a framework around something like that if you wanted. To me that is one of the strengths of this game. People who like it as is can play it that way, people who like more challenge can go Expert/Heroic 1,2,3, you could do a civil war style, and everyone can enjoy it their way.

Although mine is obviously best.... :-)

So...it sounds like a "no" then 😆 Fair enough.

You might want to check out Upper Deck's VS System 2PCG. It's a nice and relatively simple card battling game between superhero teams, not really similar to Champions and certainly not as story-driven, but it might scratch your itch. It's a good game for sure.

18 hours ago, FearLord said:

I actually really enjoyed Civil War as a comics storyline.

I don’t think it’s appropriate for the mechanics of this game however outside of some kind of special scenario (maybe like a Gen Con thing?)

I too enjoyed Civil War quite a bit. Fun to put the Mutant Registration Act at the forefront of the Marvel product line.

Unless we're talking about the MCU movie, in which case: hard pass.

Edited by Duciris

Civil War actually got me back into comics. Pretty much after Age of Apocalypse my interest dwindled, but Civil War and Wolverine Origins (the series after where he got his memory back) hooked me.

I'm sure theres enough players interested in the civil war story line that it's possible FFG would do it.

I think mechanically, the best way to design this would be to have 2 teams each fighting their own villain deck (Cap and Iron Man) and have it be a race to see who can defeat their villain. Thered only be some minor interactions between opposing players like being able to heal your opponents minions or attach things to them.

My understanding is that the concurrent storyline of Annihilation was even better. It would be nice to get Fanny-4, Blastaar, and Annihilus, and then some lead into the Annihilation wave at some point (perhaps even in the MCU)

Champions wasn't built for head-to-head play so it would be interesting to see how they make it work.

Love the Annihilation suggestion - not only was it a great story with a fun cast, it would fit in nicely after/during the Guardians campaign and cycle. Annihilus is one of my favorite villains in the comics so I'm up for a battle with him.

I think PvP Champions would suffer from A) balance issues (once you're set, even the weakest heroes can deal more damage than any non-Thor, non-Hulk hero has) and B) pacing (same as a 4-player game, lots of downtime).

i'm still onboard, though.

Edited by Duciris

I've mentioned this before, but my idea for a Civil War campaign would be two boxes: One for Team Cap and one for Team Iron Man. Each box would have the heroes for that team as villains and there would be a restriction on what heroes you could use to play through that box based on who was on what side during the Civil War storyline.

I do like that they can write their own stories for the campaigns, but it would be really cool if they could translate some of the big storylines from the comics to campaign boxes.

10 hours ago, maniakmedic said:

I've mentioned this before, but my idea for a Civil War campaign would be two boxes: One for Team Cap and one for Team Iron Man. Each box would have the heroes for that team as villains and there would be a restriction on what heroes you could use to play through that box based on who was on what side during the Civil War storyline.

I do like that they can write their own stories for the campaigns, but it would be really cool if they could translate some of the big storylines from the comics to campaign boxes.

I doubt they'd do that though. Because then all of these Guardian hero's would be unplayable, along with hero's on the same side as the scenario. It seems way to restricting.