New Fiction - What Cost A Dream

By Schmoozies, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

Suitably spooky (although it does seem off reading a Halloween fiction not written by Spooky) tale of the sacrifices an artist is willing to make to achieve "perfection"

Aww yeah. Crane Hallowe’en fic and a story that a struggling Crane artist would take the wrong lesson from.

Can anyone tell me what kind of yōkai is Yūgure?

3 hours ago, Diogo Salazar said:

Can anyone tell me what kind of yōkai is Yūgure?

We had the discussion on Discord, and the answer was that there were varioius possibilities and the author said he couldn't/wouldn't tell at the moment.

It could just as easily be something related to the Lying Darkness/Nothing?

@DGLaderoute - a really atmospheric story. Loved it, and may have to figure out how to pinch it for an RPG game, especially since Yume-do is a big thing in our game.

Also, given what's going on, I find it very noticeable The 'Clan Champion' is not specifically named, or given a gender, despite having a speaking part....

As I said on Discord, I don't want to give any more information about Yugure because I don't know what FFG might have planned for him. You just kinda have to take him as he's portrayed in the story, and be left with a number of possibilities.

And, yes, the story is deliberately intended to be ambiguous in terms of when it happened. It might be referring to Hotaru; however, it might be referring to another, past Champion. That does a better job of giving it a "ghost story" vibe, I think, than spelling out too much.

Also, thank you! Pinch away!

I mean the ability to alter the fabric of space-time hints to Void related stuff. I still don’t have my Celestial Realms because FFG can’t bother to release the digital version but my understanding is that in this new version, Ishiken and The Nothing are somehow related, anyway, I really liked the story.

Edited by Diogo Salazar

Just reminds me of a professor I had who fondly recounted doing cocaine with his principal investigator to stay up for weeks doing work that eventually won his PI a Nobel. He believed you should choose something to be excellent at and be totally devoted to it, even if it destroys you. His wife had left him and I heard his daughter had a host of issues.

13 hours ago, Waywardpaladin said:

Just reminds me of a professor I had who fondly recounted doing cocaine with his principal investigator to stay up for weeks doing work that eventually won his PI a Nobel. He believed you should choose something to be excellent at and be totally devoted to it, even if it destroys you. His wife had left him and I heard his daughter had a host of issues.

Totally seems legit.

If it doesn’t cost you everything, it’s not expensive enough to be perfect

Not finding much ambiguity here, to be honest 😈

At least in terms of an entity which erases things from reality in return for enhancing the performance of an artisan who cannot even remember why or how they came to be associated...

Edited by Shiba Gunichi