Overdrive, Poe, and R4

By 5050Saint, in X-Wing Rules Questions

So consensus seems to be swinging for option A. It just fails.

However that is pinned on the idea that "if able" is in regards to using templates that exist and not including failed manuevres.

Still, this could do with some clarification?

6 hours ago, Tyhar7 said:

However that is pinned on the idea that "if able" is in regards to using templates that exist and not including failed manuevres.

Not entirely. Remember. A fail isn't a 'it didn't occur' situation. Something *still* happens when you fail a maneuver or action, just not what *normally* happens.

RR pg 12

Some effects can FAIL , which means the effect did not resolve as intended and instead is resolved in a default way.

A failed Action, *still* resolves, even if differently, thats why you are still *able*. You still pay any costs associated to do it, even if it fails.

Its not like in 1E where failing something simply meant 'undoing' it, reversing everything to the start including any costs paid, and either opting to try it differently, or not doing it at all.

That said, yes, it would not hurt to get some clarification on what exactly the term "if able" means. To that end, i have submitted that question to FFG, using Overdrive as an example.

Edited by Lyianx
27 minutes ago, Lyianx said:

Not entirely. Remember. A fail isn't a 'it didn't occur' situation. Something *still* happens when you fail a maneuver or action, just not what *normally* happens.

RR pg 12

A failed Action, *still* resolves, even if differently, thats why you are still *able*. You still pay any costs associated to do it, even if it fails.

Its not like in 1E where failing something simply meant 'undoing' it, reversing everything to the start including any costs paid, and either opting to try it differently, or not doing it at all.

That said, yes, it would not hurt to get some clarification on what exactly the term "if able" means. To that end, i have submitted that question to FFG, using Overdrive as an example.

Ah thanks for submitting.

On 11/3/2020 at 6:34 PM, Cpt ObVus said:

Oh, yeah. I knew about that. So Poe can still give himself a Red SLAM after he rolls or something, as long as it all happens during his activation.

I didn't.

That's going to make an Overdrive/Black One Poe quite disgusting - especially if you take BB-8. Delivering a SLAM before you make your standard move is now legal. Since a T-70's speed 2 banks are blue, you can in theory roll, SLAM a speed 3 manouvre (and hence boost with afterburners if not playing hyperspace), receive stress, clear it with a speed 2 manouvre and then still get your standard action and end the turn unstressed. That's some seriously squirrely hijinks.

4 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

I didn't.

That's going to make an Overdrive/Black One Poe quite disgusting - especially if you take BB-8. Delivering a SLAM before you make your standard move is now legal. Since a T-70's speed 2 banks are blue, you can in theory roll, SLAM a speed 3 manouvre (and hence boost with afterburners if not playing hyperspace), receive stress, clear it with a speed 2 manouvre and then still get your standard action and end the turn unstressed. That's some seriously squirrely hijinks.

No, it's not legal. 'The maneuver must match the speed of the maneuver that the ship executed this round.'

1 hour ago, Boreas Mun said:

No, it's not legal. 'The maneuver must match the speed of the maneuver that the ship executed this round.'

i believe you are correct. there is no choice of a maneuver to execute if you haven't executed a maneuver yet.

37297ef7839800afd543de5d1a363561.png swz68_poe-dameron.png

Capture.png Capture.png

3e9870bff7f61acc12970c254eaeca89.png swz68_overdrive-thruster.png