Rampaging Rex. And Fel.

By SDCC, in X-Wing Squad Lists

A first pass at a list including Rampage.

Rex is in as I have a nicely painted Defender I want to use!

And Fel is...well it's Fel.

(39) "Rampage" [TIE/rb Heavy]
(6) Synced Laser Cannons
(3) Target-Assist MGK-300
(3) Hull Upgrade

(79) Rexler Brath [TIE/D Defender]
(6) Outmaneuver

(54) Soontir Fel [TIE/in Interceptor]
(3) Targeting Computer
(6) Outmaneuver

Total points: 199

Synced Cannon seems almost an auto-include for me. Hull Upgrade is cheap and moves the half points threshold.

Rex is kept fairly cheap.

The Fel build is a fairly common one I believe.

Any thoughts? I'm happy with the three ships. Devil is in the details.

Nice. Maybe. I honestly don't know if Rampage is good value or not yet, but I instantly went Sync Laser and Aimbot as well ofc.

Reinforce/lock and some calc may make for a slight bit of versatility. I like the zoom zoom of Rampage. Strain plus Outmanouevre is very hurtful. Fel is Fel and Rex is Rex.

But crits are gonna be serious biz and there's a lot of them about. As long as Soontir isn't caught early and the Brute sucks up enough time, lobbing enough strain about, it'll be kinda brutal..... But if Rampage just goes splat then Soontir will have to run away a lot and Rex will need his dice to show some strong consistency.

I'd maybe lose Hull for a bit more bid. Rampage does notably lack fully on his execute, but Mr Fel will appreciate it.

Could actually put Intimidation on the big boi and plow in. -3ag is a possibility. Perhaps an unnecessary one...

I would drop Outmaneuver on Fel for a cheaper talent like Crack Shot or Daredevil. That way you also have a 5 point bid which Fel would really like and the I5 defender could also put to good use seeing how many I5's are seeing play.

I’d drop Targeting Computer from Fel. Your experiences may differ, but I find that he is almost always too busy repositioning with Roll and Boost, and sometimes Focusing/Evading... he doesn’t have time to be bothering with Lock actions.

Synced Laser Cannons are great, but Rampage’s ability pushes him to get into brawling range, and the SLC’s can’t fire at range 1. Also because his ability wants him to get in close, I feel like the Maneuver Assist Configuration is the better call for him. Both the Synced Laser Cannons and the Target Assist are great; I just don’t feel like they’re the best calls for Rampage, if you also want to fully leverage his text.

I think I'm with a bunch of folks: trimming some to get more bid seems good. Kinda any of the talents and mods could get trimmed. Exactly what, and exactly how deep, is a more personal thing. If your local scene doesn't really run bids, I mean, just let it rip.

1 hour ago, Cpt ObVus said:

I’d drop Targeting Computer from Fel. Your experiences may differ, but I find that he is almost always too busy repositioning with Roll and Boost, and sometimes Focusing/Evading... he doesn’t have time to be bothering with Lock actions.

Hello, can I interest you in our Lord and Saviour, Daredevil? :D

I would very much agree with your statement there, but I ran DD, TC Soontir a bit and the agency on approach is unreal. Gives you plenty of scope to set up the lock.

Otherwise, yeah, it can be a bit nip and tuck for us mere mortals.

That said, I have heard enough bad things about Outmanouevre, TC Soontir in the hands of some of our nations famed and feared to feel a bit sick at the prospect.

Thanks everyone. I did some editing, and have had a few games with this now...

Rampage - Ion Cannon, Tractor Beam, Aim-Bot, Ion Limiter Override

Rexlar - Juke

Soontir - Predator

193 points.

Rex/Juke suits me really well. Struggling with Soontir's approach (I think I'm too aggressive). Rampage needs work too.

2 hours ago, SDCC said:

Struggling with Soontir's approach (I think I'm too aggressive).

You're almost certainly right with that thought. If in doubt, bug out. That's not the ideal solution either though, running away is normally an emergency reaction that can be made to work, rather than something you actually want to do.

Practice some deployments where you can delay Soontir's commitment left/right of their forces for as long as possible. Then work to give yourself those emergency exits once you do. If you can avoid stress, do. It's a general thing with linked actions, the less you use them, the better, most of the time.

Normally, the commitment problem is down to the angle of approach cutting off options. So you end up committing hard, or committing a little and hoping for the best. Just requires an awareness of that to add the delay/bug out option.

Edited by Cuz05
23 hours ago, Cuz05 said:

You're almost certainly right with that thought. If in doubt, bug out. That's not the ideal solution either though, running away is normally an emergency reaction that can be made to work, rather than something you actually want to do.

Practice some deployments where you can delay Soontir's commitment left/right of their forces for as long as possible. Then work to give yourself those emergency exits once you do. If you can avoid stress, do. It's a general thing with linked actions, the less you use them, the better, most of the time.

Normally, the commitment problem is down to the angle of approach cutting off options. So you end up committing hard, or committing a little and hoping for the best. Just requires an awareness of that to add the delay/bug out option.

Thanks for this.

Reading through and thinking of my past few games, I absolutely overcommit early on. Fel zooms out like a madman in the hope of getting behind. But he leaves himself really open as the enemy thinks 'oh I'll pick you off first then'.

Definitely keeping this in mind for next time.

1 hour ago, SDCC said:

Thanks for this.

Reading through and thinking of my past few games, I absolutely overcommit early on. Fel zooms out like a madman in the hope of getting behind. But he leaves himself really open as the enemy thinks 'oh I'll pick you off first then'.

Definitely keeping this in mind for next time.

Certainly a danger when you come out fast, but be wary of coming out too slow at times as well. Obviously all depends on what your opponent does. A couple of guys I play against regularly will be super aggressive with the likes of Fangs/A Wings, to try and catch me cold, if I'm playing really cagey with one of my ships.

Why I'm such a fan of Daredevil Soontir. He can completely change his heading, reactively. Head straight and have a 180 choice, for eg, rather than banking to keep the fast nope open. Sacrifices some output, but if you don't get to shoot, you get no output at all.

On 11/11/2020 at 1:22 PM, Cuz05 said:

Certainly a danger when you come out fast, but be wary of coming out too slow at times as well. Obviously all depends on what your opponent does. A couple of guys I play against regularly will be super aggressive with the likes of Fangs/A Wings, to try and catch me cold, if I'm playing really cagey with one of my ships.

Why I'm such a fan of Daredevil Soontir. He can completely change his heading, reactively. Head straight and have a 180 choice, for eg, rather than banking to keep the fast nope open. Sacrifices some output, but if you don't get to shoot, you get no output at all.

How well does Daredevil work with Fel's abilities? It shuts off his autothrusters doesn't it? It is very intriguing!

2 minutes ago, SDCC said:

How well does Daredevil work with Fel's abilities? It shuts off his autothrusters doesn't it? It is very intriguing!

It does have to be your one and only action in that step. Key thing is that is doesn't shut off the free focus, but it was rare that I used it during engagements. It can be clutch there, but having your normal actions and avoiding stress, if possible, is preferable at that point.

Far and away the main benefit is on approach. Example, I would start him in the corner at 45 degrees facing a corner rock. 1st turn, I can hard boost left or right, depending on which seems best. Or leave the boost, then hard turn and hard boost next turn to completely change facing again.

Got to be wary of locking yourself into a blue at that stage though, needs to be decisive.

Since he'll often need to disengage, and then reengage carefully, you can use it to set up those situations similarly.

I wouldn't say it's better than other options at all. The power of Fel is really in the pilot card. Upgrades you add really just buff him in one direction or another, rather than transform him.