What do you think of fatigue and mercy crits?

By Artaterxes, in Descent: Legends of the Dark

This refers to two mechanics from the designer discussion. One is fatigue recovery. Instead of “wasting” actions to rest, you flip your hero card, which recovers all fatigue and switches your hero ability. The other I’m nicknaming “mercy crits,” which means enemies that are a couple of wounds away from being defeated are just sometimes defeated by the app.

What do you think of these new things?

The flip mechanic is interesting to me. I'll have to see it in action, but from a high level, it sounds like it should apply for some interesting tactical thinking as you will have to balance not having certain abilities available some turns as you shed fatigue. I think keeping the player moving will keep things interesting, as instead of spending an action resting you spend an action doing "something else," so its not a waste. I mean, looking at the warrior, I think the alternate hero ability access to a heal. So, if I'm understanding the process correctly, you flip on your turn to shed the faitigue and get access to the heal, then you can manuever, heal + attack with your weapon, during that turn, and next turn flip again next turn to get access to the other ability back. Seems much more "active" than Move + Rest.

As far as mercy kills, that is an interesting idea. Since its not 1vM, it seems okay to fudge dice rolls to eliminate an enemy for the players benefit. I've done so when running games to keep things moving instead of requiring an additional round of combat that probably would have not resulted any different and just taken more time. Otherwise, things could drag on a bit longer than necessary.

I didn't like the flipping mechanic : It is a bit boring to do it often and since the side are differents, it is not simple to retain which aide has what.

Maybe if the app was ding this and avoiding myslef to manipulate cards of and easily had accès to both side maybe but as it is, I don't like it.

“Mercy crits” seem like a good idea, and a continuation of something like bleed from Imperial Assault or Wounded (I think) from Gloomhaven.

Hopefully the flipping avoids the problem with a lot of “rest” mechanics in games, where an action feels wasted because all you do is clear damage. Getting access to other abilities and balancing that with keeping access to an ability you like while managing fatigue could be interesting.

I am fairly neutral-to-positive on the fatigue removal when flipping hero sheets (and weapon cards etc.), but it rather rubs me the wrong way that doing so also removes all conditions.

On 10/30/2020 at 2:55 AM, twincast said:

I am fairly neutral-to-positive on the fatigue removal when flipping hero sheets (and weapon cards etc.), but it rather rubs me the wrong way that doing so also removes all conditions.

As far as I'm aware, it removes *and triggers* the conditions.

Also as far as I'm aware, the "mercy crit" thing is a particular skill - it's not a default mechanic.