Nom Lumb ability? Gain stress??

By Guiem77, in X-Wing Rules Questions

Does Nom Lumb get a stress token when rotates his firing arc due bis ability??

No, you do not gain stress for using Nom Lumb's ability.

The card does not say to perform a rotate action ; it merely causes you to rotate your arc. Since it is not an action, you don't even bother looking to see what color the (non-)action is: you just do it.

4a13a4b7493d39f53b9c37c6a82edf5a.png

To extend on that explanation, if a card does tell you to perform an action, you should always assume that particular action is white, unless the card text specifically says otherwise.

Edited by emeraldbeacon

đź‘Ť

28 minutes ago, emeraldbeacon said:

To extend on that explanation, if a card does tell you to perform an action, you should always assume that particular action is white, unless the card text specifically says otherwise.

Good example:

Swx75_card2_vizier.png

page 18 of the RR:
Capture.png

not that nom lumb's ability is an action, but still - page 31 of the RR:
Capture.png

14 hours ago, JBFancourt said:

Good example:

Swx75_card2_vizier.png

Oh, sick! Vizier’s in-text Coordinate is white?? I didn’t know that. That makes him waaay better than I realized!

Edited by Cpt ObVus

Though, on further reflection, I guess Vizier is the same price as a Scarif Base Pilot with a Tactical Officer. So I suppose he’s not really a bargain. Does save the Crew slot though.

A notably less helpful example is BB-8... and it's a very important reminder that this game exists at the border of natural language and technical writing. Confusion (and disputes) can arise very quickly when two different methods of analysis come head to head.

4d2201d40635299aa134acd52c9587af.png

Please not again.....

Why?!? @emeraldbeacon

Let the past die.... kill it if you have to.

🤣

22 hours ago, emeraldbeacon said:

A notably less helpful example is BB-8... and it's a very important reminder that this game exists at the border of natural language and technical writing. Confusion (and disputes) can arise very quickly when two different methods of analysis come head to head.

4d2201d40635299aa134acd52c9587af.png

So is that a red Boost or white Coordinate? Or a red Boost or red Coordinate?

25 minutes ago, Cpt ObVus said:

So is that a red Boost or white Coordinate? Or a red Boost or red Coordinate?

Well, coordinate has nothing to do with BB-8, so... ;)

The question is, what does "red" modify, in BB-8's text box? Is it:

• Red (Barrel Roll) or (Boost) , or
  • Red (Barrel Roll or Boost) ?
23 minutes ago, emeraldbeacon said:

Well, coordinate has nothing to do with BB-8, so... ;)

The question is, what does "red" modify, in BB-8's text box? Is it:

• Red (Barrel Roll) or (Boost) , or
  • Red (Barrel Roll or Boost) ?

Yes, typo, sorry. What’s the answer?

Edited by Cpt ObVus
2 hours ago, Cpt ObVus said:

Yes, typo, sorry. What’s the answer?

A fine question that we do not have an official answer to, to my knowledge. Aside from us rules nerds, it doesn't get a lot of attention because BB-8 kind of sucks.

1 hour ago, 5050Saint said:

A fine question that we do not have an official answer to, to my knowledge. Aside from us rules nerds, it doesn't get a lot of attention because BB-8 kind of sucks.

To be fair, it also doesn't get much attention because the answer is reasonably obvious.

17 minutes ago, Maui. said:

To be fair, it also doesn't get much attention because the answer is reasonably obvious.

Yeah, I tend to agree. To me it's clearly "a modified (this or that)," and trying to interpret it another way seems like a stretch. Occam's Razor.

2 hours ago, Maui. said:

Oh, I agree, but someone will disagree at some point.

7 hours ago, Maui. said:

So what’s your take on the answer?

I think it probably means a red boost or a red roll, but I wouldn’t call it “obvious.”

6 hours ago, Cpt ObVus said:

So what’s your take on the answer?

I think it probably means a red boost or a red roll, but I wouldn’t call it “obvious.”

Almost everyone comes to one of two conclusions when they try to figure out BB-8's ability, and those two conclusions are "it's probably a red boost" and "it's definitely a red boost." Yes, there is technically a grammatical ambiguity in the wording, and the language could be interpreted otherwise... but deep down, we all know how it works.

On 10/25/2020 at 1:25 PM, Cpt ObVus said:

Though, on further reflection, I guess Vizier is the same price as a Scarif Base Pilot with a Tactical Officer. So I suppose he’s not really a bargain. Does save the Crew slot though.

It also allows you to co-ordinate on the turn you do a red move, which is his big appeal.

Aileron-Coordinate-Segnor's Loop. Strikers and Reapers tend to have to flip over a lot because of their insane minimum speed, so making sure they have a focus to carry through their loop or turn is a big deal.