The Dwellers in Darkness minis are... kinda bad?

By Annette Soleil, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

Now, it's entirely possible this is all in my head and I'm just over analyzing these in comparison to other minis I own. (I recent got my hands on Kingdom Death: Monster and have spent the last three weeks putting those together, and those are some high quality minis to be sure) But I feel like even in comparison to many of the minis from the base game, and especially Shadowed Paths, these seem to be... of really subpar quality. I don't know what happened.

FDtAz65.jpg

UfOJBgh.jpg

Now I don't have any of my other JiME for comparison here (because I've either primed or painted all of them), but right off the bat, the plastic struck me as being... much darker than usual. Not really an issue per se, but it struck me as odd the moment I opened the box. And again, maybe that's me comparing them to the much lighter plastic used in KDM. But the plastic also feels a lot softer than my other JiME minis, painted or otherwise. Like I accidentally almost bent Ollie's chain just trying to take some of these pictures, not realizing how soft they were. A lot of the detail also seems... very muddled. Especially on Ursa here. Two of his fingers are basically melded together, and the detail on his palm and the undersides of his fingers is nonexistent (I couldn't get a good picture of the opposite side of his hand because the camera wouldn't focus properly on the hand). There are a few other spots that look kinda muddled, but the worst by far is the top of his (her?) head.

HJM2US6.jpg

Shortly after the rim of the ground, any detail in the hair just utterly ceases to exist. It's completely smooth. (The same problem I had with Ollie's chain also applies to the hammer here; very soft and fragile)

Ldzl8TZ.jpg

oYhfksS.jpg

And then there's the massive gaps on Ollie's mini. These run all alone the sides of his torso and up his left arm. At least unlike the muddled details on Ursa, these could possibly be fixed up with some green stuff or other gap filler. But I've never seen gaps this bad on a preassembled miniature.

So what's the deal? Am I just going insane and imagining all of this? Did I just have really bad luck and get shipped a bad batch? Or did anyone else notice any of these glaring issues?

Wow, that does look bad. I mean this looks like the first Imperial Assault figures which required green stuff to fill the gaps. Since then, FFG has improved a lot. But this seems bad. Maybe they changed the figure manufacturer or something. The giant especially seems to have lots of mold lines and cracks.

Since Asmodee is really, really, really bad at delivering products to Europe and it's going to be few more weeks before these are in stores here, I think I'm going to cancel my preorder on this. The extra cards alone are not worth the 18 euros this costs.

16 minutes ago, Elrath' said:

Wow, that does look bad. I mean this looks like the first Imperial Assault figures which required green stuff to fill the gaps. Since then, FFG has improved a lot. But this seems bad. Maybe they changed the figure manufacturer or something. The giant especially seems to have lots of mold lines and cracks.

Since Asmodee is really, really, really bad at delivering products to Europe and it's going to be few more weeks before these are in stores here, I think I'm going to cancel my preorder on this. The extra cards alone are not worth the 18 euros this costs.

Even the early IA minis were never quite this bad. Even the first edition MoM minis didn't have gaps like this. It's really a shame, because Shadowed Paths was only three months ago, and those minis were fantastic. That Balrog is one of the best FFG has put out, at least in terms of the games I own. And even the generic orcs and goblins look really great. I was expecting the Orc Taskmaster and the Balrog to be kind of frail because of the whips, but they were surprisingly sturdy. Nothing like these. The plastic is absurdly soft.

Edited by Annette Soleil

Mine just arrived today, and they are the same way. Very disappointing. I'm going to submit a complaint to FFG, since this is a clear downgrade in quality over previous expansions.

They started cost cutdown campaign?

I just got my package by post and was a kind of exited but reading this the unpacking will be very disappointing I think..

@Elrath' I'm from Europe and my main game supplier didn't got this expansion order delivered and advised me to look at other webstores

and indeed I found out that others had a few in stock.

Did the unpacking and the mini's are just fine. (Very exiting)

I have compared with the other mini's and the detail is as good as before and there is no color difference.

I compared the Ollie with the pictures above and it has not the gaps under his left arm.

At the under side is : TM SZC Lic FFG

I received mine today and I'll say the only figure I thought was a bit below the standard FFG has set was Ollie. He had some decent gaps as already pointed out and the left side of his helmet lined up a little funny down towards his shoulder. I don't care too much since once I get them painted and on the board I barely ever look close enough to notice. I managed to drop my Supplicant as I was getting ready to prime him and one of his hands broke off! I'm going to pretend he tried to steal a Silmaril from Morgoth...

The Supplicant is the only one of mine that actually looks fine. I'm gonna have to eventually use some green stuff on Ollie, which is always annoying. As for Ursa, well... the quality on that one is just abysmal, but considering the monochromatic color scheme, maybe I can just ignore it.

I just really hope this isn't the start of a trend with this game, or other FFG miniature games. Because it's really put me off from wanting to continue working on these ones.

Got a chance to take a closer look the Dwellers in Darkness figure pack today. Quality seems to be on par with previous villain figures, with no significant gaps, no unusual defects and no appreciable difference in material color. Maybe I got lucky?

rrm9IYP.jpg

KlpsOPd.jpg

i just opened mine and they are on the bad side . The Ollie figure is bad , i accidentally dropped it on the table and the hand broke , there are huge gaps on both sides and the details are not so good.They are definately not on the same level as the last big box .

One thing that really annoys me is that FFG is only showing you some figures that are of course very nice and detailed . I know im not going to get those but what we finally get is far from it. I mostly care about the figures and not so for the game itself so i dont think i will buy anymore of those. For the kind of money they charge i was expecting improvements over the years but this is not the case .