Executing a red maneuver while preform a SLAM

By muzhyou, in X-Wing Rules Questions

A question comes to my mind when I think about how the Override Thrusters work:

If a T-70 X-Wing perform a red SLAM assisted by the new Poe, what would happen if it chooses to execute a red maneuver?

a) It execute the maneuver as normal, gain 1 additional stress token after checking the difficulty, as the cost of the action;

b) It execute a white speed-2 straight (Stress Maneuver) instead.

Because I failed to find a text in the Rules Reference that clarifies when one will gain stress tokens while performing red actions, I'm just confused.

I hope the case would be a), since I believe the stress comes "after" the effect of the action has been resolved, but I'm not certain.

What do you guys say?

This section from the Ability Queue entry would support the stress being gained after you perform the action.

Screenshot_20201022-070418_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Capture.png Capture.png

Capture.png

t-70s doesn't have the slam action unless they use black one. stress from performing red actions is gained after performing the action.

1 hour ago, meffo said:

Capture.png Capture.png

Capture.png

t-70s doesn't have the slam action unless they use black one. stress from performing red actions is gained after performing the action.

Yeah, the SLAM does come from Black One, and its difficulty is increased due to the text of New Poe's ability. Sorry for missing that in the description.

And great, thanks you all. It works as expected.

Actions have three difficulties: white, red, or purple. White is the least difficult, then red, then purple.

◊ As a cost to attempt to perform a red action, a ship must gain 1 stress token.

◊ As a cost to attempt to perform a purple action, a ship must spend 1 󲈯

It state quite clearly that you have to pay the cost before you can attempt the action.

So it seems you can't perform a red maneuver after doing a red SLAM.

Good news is a Blue maneuver will clear it.

Edited by Tyhar7
8 minutes ago, Tyhar7 said:

I did not consider this. Thank you for this information.

39 minutes ago, Tyhar7 said:

Actions have three difficulties: white, red, or purple. White is the least difficult, then red, then purple.

◊ As a cost to attempt to perform a red action, a ship must gain 1 stress token.

◊ As a cost to attempt to perform a purple action, a ship must spend 1 󲈯

It state quite clearly that you have to pay the cost before you can attempt the action.

So it seems you can't perform a red maneuver after doing a red SLAM.

That isn't what that means. When it says "attempt", it means, regardless weather or not you complete the maneuver or not (fully execute or partially execute), you gain the stress. It does not mean you gain it before hand. You're forgetting the steps on executing the maneuver.

1. Maneuver Ship: During this step, the ship moves using the matching template. a. Take the template that matches the maneuver from the supply . b. Set the template between the ship’s front guides (so that it is flush against the base). c. Pick up and place the ship at the opposite end of the template and slide the rear guides of the ship into the template. d. Return the template to the supply.

2. Check Difficulty: During this step, if the maneuver is red, the ship gains one stress token; if the maneuver is blue, the ship removes one stress token and one strain token and one deplete token.

Checking the difficulty (and thus gaining/removing stress) always happens *after* the ship is moved. So it is possible to execute a Red slam maneuver. But you are right that you cannot execute a red maneuver, and Then perform a slam action ( of any kind) as the stress will prevent the Slam Action itself.

Edited by Lyianx
14 hours ago, Lyianx said:

That isn't what that means. When it says "attempt", it means, regardless weather or not you complete the maneuver or not (fully execute or partially execute), you gain the stress. It does not mean you gain it before hand. You're forgetting the steps on executing the maneuver.

Checking the difficulty (and thus gaining/removing stress) always happens *after* the ship is moved. So it is possible to execute a Red slam maneuver. But you are right that you cannot execute a red maneuver, and Then perform a slam action ( of any kind) as the stress will prevent the Slam Action itself.

Your quoting checking difficulty for Red maneuvers which have no bairing on when you pay the cost for a red action.

A red Action states you must gain a stress as the cost too attempt the action. I read attempt as "before you know the result of performing said action".

Eg. You must gain a stress before performing a red BR and seeing if it fits.

You are therefore stressed, so if you choose a red maneuver you must follow the rules for doing that while stress. Which is to perform a 2 white straight.

Edit: Upon reflection.

Current presidant lays with Resistance Nien. Having played him alot the cost for the red BR has always been payed, triggering his ability, once he has moved.

Eg. Red BR into range one, gain stress, ability trigger, Clear stress.

RR does not make clear when you gain the stress upon taking the red action." As a cost to attempt to perform" still reads before you do it in my mind.

Unless this is cleared up elsewhere it may need to more clarication.

Edited by Tyhar7
56 minutes ago, Tyhar7 said:

Unless this is cleared up elsewhere it may need to more clarication.

under Stress, p20

• A ship receives one stress token while it executes a red maneuver or after it performs a red action.

Edited by Maui.

Executing the selected maneuver is part of the SLAM action. Pg 19:

Pilots can SLAM by activating their SubLight Acceleration Motors and careening through space at incredible speeds. A ship performs a 󲁊 action by performing the following steps:

1. The player chooses a maneuver from the ship’s dial . The maneuver must match the speed of the maneuver that the ship executed this round.

2. The ship executes the chosen maneuver.

3. The ship gains one disarm token.

@Maui. correctly quotes pg 20 - " A ship receives one stress token while it executes a red maneuver or after it performs a red action."

Wouldn't that mean that you gain the stress token after (completely) performing the red action? In the case of SLAM, executing the chosen maneuver is part of the action (step 2), therefore you don't gain the stress token until after step 3 "The ship gains one disarm token.", once the action is complete (ref pg 20).

This one seems clear that you can do it, but do you take 2x stress tokens? I think you might.

it's 100% clear - and i dare say i included this in my first post. it's right there in the first bullet point.

Capture.png

stress from performing red actions comes after the action has been performed. you can execute maneuvers of any difficulty while SLAMing. the difficulty of the maneuver is resolved before the difficulty of the action, so you would still be stressed from the SLAM action if the SLAM action is red, even if you performed a blue maneuver while SLAMing. if you perform a red maneuver with a red SLAM action, you would resolve the SLAM action and gain a stress before the action is completed during the check difficulty step of executing the maneuver, then gain a stress after resolving the SLAM action. that would leave you double stressed, yes.

nien numb could do this and end up with no stress what so ever, though. just chuck on black one, advanced slam and pattern analyzer. if you fly him with poe, that would let him execute a red maneuver, perform an action with pattern analyzer, get his regular action, throw in poe's action to SLAM, get another action with pattern analyzer, then perform the advanced SLAM action. that's a potential five actions during his activation, assuming he had targets for his ability at all the places he ended up to loose the stress. so he would be able to execute two maneuvers, lock, focus, barrel roll, boost and SLAM. epic shenanigans.

Capture.png
Capture.png

Capture.png

13 hours ago, Maui. said:

under Stress, p20

Apologies, its right there, I only saw the maneuver part when reading before going to bed I must of overlooked it.

Although in fareness why isn't it in the action section too? Simply adding the below would help.

"As a cost to attempt to perform a red action, a ship must gain 1 stress token after performing the action ."

Edited by Tyhar7

Since we already have this similar topic open, I'll hijack it for a similar question:

When you execute an Overdrive Thrusters SLAM does the difficulty of the maneuver stay the same?

swz68_overdrive-thruster.png

The text doesn't say that you execute a maneuver 1 speed higher, but rather just that you use a template 1 speed higher. If Poe did a white 3 hard, then Overdrove a SLAM of blue 3 straight, would it turn into a 4 blue straight or 4 white straight? 4 blue straight seems right to me, but I'm trying to see past my wishful thinking.

4 hours ago, 5050Saint said:

Since we already have this similar topic open, I'll hijack it for a similar question:

When you execute an Overdrive Thrusters SLAM does the difficulty of the maneuver stay the same?

swz68_overdrive-thruster.png

The text doesn't say that you execute a maneuver 1 speed higher, but rather just that you use a template 1 speed higher. If Poe did a white 3 hard, then Overdrove a SLAM of blue 3 straight, would it turn into a 4 blue straight or 4 white straight? 4 blue straight seems right to me, but I'm trying to see past my wishful thinking.

we do what the card says. the difficulty doesn't change, just the speed.

1 hour ago, meffo said:

we do what the card says. the difficulty doesn't change, just the speed.

Just want to throw this out there.

300?cb=20180723175517

25 minutes ago, Lyianx said:

Just want to throw this out there.

300?cb=20180723175517

i like that. it's supposed to be an image of ved foslo, right? a shame fandom.com have gone to s**t. the wiki used to be such an amazing resources for card images. xD

i think it works if you delete everything in the url after the file ending (.png in most cases), including the slash (/) just after it. the resolution of the images is really poor nowdays, though. you can barely read it properly. i snip things with the snipping tool and upload it to postimages.org instead.

Swz15_a1_ved-foslo.png
Capture.png

it's a bit more work, but it's worth the difference imho.

sorry for the slightly off topic post here.

There's an FFG API for all the cards that are in the official squadbuilder. It can be a bother to search it, but there's a lot of stuff there. The pictures can get kinda huge, but they also have a link with just the art and not the full card, which is kinda cool.

cb8efd0b723b8ceb0c35b7a64b309bf2.jpg

254a567fa647e783bcd3fb9c09377e3d.jpg

Card_art_XW_P_95.jpg

15 hours ago, meffo said:

stress from performing red actions comes after the action has been performed. you can execute maneuvers of any difficulty while SLAMing. the difficulty of the maneuver is resolved before the difficulty of the action, so you would still be stressed from the SLAM action if the SLAM action is red, even if you performed a blue maneuver while SLAMing. if you perform a red maneuver with a red SLAM action, you would resolve the SLAM action and gain a stress before the action is completed during the check difficulty step of executing the maneuver, then gain a stress after resolving the SLAM action. that would leave you double stressed, yes.

I agree with this reading.