The Road: The Fortress of Nurn

By RedSpiderr, in The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

The final quest is at hand. It has all led to this. Aragorn, Amarthiul and Thurindir have pursued Thane Ulchor to his fortress on the Sea of Nurn, and now storm it’s walls with an army of freed slaves. The Dunedain seek vengeance against their Black Numenorean kin. One way or another, this conflict ends here.

Here is my Playthrough report of The Fortress of Nurn:

https://theroadlotr.wordpress.com/2020/10/21/the-fortress-of-nurn-playthrough/

Thanks for the playthrought, I am still waiting for my copy of Under the Ash Mountains (while I already have The Land of Sorrow and Fortress of Nurn) so I am quite eager to play these quests too.

Besides the side quest bit at the start I think you made another mistake. When you choose a side quest to be the "current quest" for a quest phase, it's considered as such only until the end of the phase. In the next rounds, if you want to quest on that side quest you have to choose it again to be the "current quest", triggering again any effects relative to that (say the Forced effect on Unwelcome Travelers).

Also you seem to deal shadow cards to enemy and defend their attacks straight away one at a time. Actually you are supposed to deal shadow cards to all engaged enemies at the start of the combat phase in engagement cost order, then proceed to defending them in the order of your choice. Maybe you are actually doing it like that at the writeup seems to indicate differently. It might be a small difference, it simply affects the order the shadow cards are dealt to the enemies (or chained whenever possible) so it's more of a style choice I guess.

Edited by Alonewolf87
5 minutes ago, Alonewolf87 said:

Besides the side quest bit at the start I think you made another mistake. When you choose a side quest to be the "current quest" for a quest phase, it's considered as such only until the end of the phase. In the next rounds, if you want to quest on that side quest you have to choose it again to be the "current quest", triggering again any effects relative to that (say the Forced effect on Unwelcome Travelers)

Sorry to piggyback on this, but perhaps you know: is it possible to choose a different quest card to be current quest outside of the quest phase?

6 minutes ago, Alonewolf87 said:

Besides the side quest bit at the start I think you made another mistake. When you choose a side quest to be the "current quest" for a quest phase, it's considered as such only until the end of the phase. In the next rounds, if you want to quest on that side quest you have to choose it again to be the "current quest", triggering again any effects relative to that (say the Forced effect on Unwelcome Travelers).

Also you seem to deal shadow cards to enemy and defend their attacks straight away one at a time. Actually you are supposed to deal shadow cards to all engaged enemies at the start of the combat phase in engagement cost order, then proceed to defending them in the order of your choice. Maybe you are actually doing it like that at the writeup seems to indicate differently. It might be a small difference, it simply affects the order the shadow cards are dealt to the enemies (or chained whenever possible) so it's more of a style choice I guess.

I was unaware of that ruling for side-quests, thank you for pointing it out for me. I’ll be sure to remember that in the future.

As for the shadow cards, in the playing of the game they are indeed dealt out all at once in the correct order. It is purely stylistic how I have presented it.

4 minutes ago, TrueLolzor said:

Sorry to piggyback on this, but perhaps you know: is it possible to choose a different quest card to be current quest outside of the quest phase?

I’m afraid I do not, but there are others far more knowledgable than I in these forums who’d be happy to help

1 minute ago, TrueLolzor said:

Not that I know of among players cards, but there are some encounter cards that do that (Heedless of Order from The Hobbit Saga for example)

1 minute ago, RedSpiderr said:

I was unaware of that ruling for side-quests, thank you for pointing it out for me. I’ll be sure to remember that in the future.

Just in case it's not a ruling precisely, but these are the actual rules for side quests (both player's and encounter's) as presented in The Lost Realm and Sands of Harad boxs (and as you can read here )

I'm asking because of this treachery: Pressing-Needs.jpg

It came out outside of the quest phase, and I had a side quest in play. I just "chose" a different quest from theone I chose during the quest phase. Was this legal, or was I obligated to resolve the alternative effect?

O

4 minutes ago, TrueLolzor said:

I'm asking because of this treachery: Pressing-Needs.jpg

It came out outside of the quest phase, and I had a side quest in play. I just "chose" a different quest from theone I chose during the quest phase. Was this legal, or was I obligated to resolve the alternative effect?

Outside the quest phase (safe for strange effects) the "current quest" is the current main stage quest you are on. If this treachery came out let's say in a combat phase, and there was already a side quest in play, you could have chosen that side quest to satisfy the When Revelead effect. Then for that combat phase the chosen side quest would be the "current quest", so you could use Legolas effect to put progress there and so on.