R5-TK, cluster missiles and munitions failsafe combo

By BobaFett009, in X-Wing Rules Questions

I have tried to find a clear wording on this combo. For example, G4R is bumping an opposing ship and G4R is target locked with a ship with R5. At the start of engagement l fire my cluster missiles at G4, l use my failsafe to cancel the attack, then can l use the other charge to fire the the other ship that is bumping G4? And when does G4 ability triggers?

O_o a four card combo with no references?

Capture.png

Capture.png Capture.png

Capture.png

yes, it all totally works. assuming an enemy ship has bumped G4R-GOR, if you have G4R-GOR locked, and R5-TK equipped, you can attack him with cluster missiles and use munitions failsafe to cancel all dice. G4R-GOR's ability would then trigger, making the ship he's blocked suffer a critical damage. you could then perform the bonus attack with cluster missiles on the ship at range 0 of G4R, assuming all the other requirements for cluster missiles are fulfilled, meaning that ship would have to be in your attack arc, at range 1-2 of you and that you spend a charge on cluster missiles.

Capture.png
page 5 of the RR.

Edited by meffo
16 minutes ago, meffo said:

G4R-GOR's ability would then trigger, making himself and the ship he's blocked suffer a critical damage.

One small correction, G4R-For only deals a crit to other ships at range 0, not himself.

This is a mad little combo you've found. I love it, but my only quibble would be that it is a pain to execute from a list building perspective (unless I'm mistaken, the only craft which can pull it off is the Kimogila).

1 minute ago, AceDogbert said:

This is a mad little combo you've found. I love it, but my only quibble would be that it is a pain to execute from a list building perspective (unless I'm mistaken, the only craft which can pull it off is the Kimogila).

Yup, its commonly taken on Torani in hopes of triggering her ability twice. Jostero is often along for the ride with a MGT or other M3A as the 4th ship

48 minutes ago, Innese said:

Yup, its commonly taken on Torani in hopes of triggering her ability twice. Jostero is often along for the ride with a MGT or other M3A as the 4th ship

That's a fun combo. With the bare minimums, that gives 78pts to play around with, which means you've got plenty of interesting options to muck around with to finish the list.