Thrawn Interdictor + Raiders

By Bravo Null, in Star Wars: Armada Fleet Builds

Hey, could you please give me some feedback on this fleet?

Assault: Close-Range Intel Scan
Defense: Capture the VIP
Navigation: Superior Positions

Raider I (44)
• Hondo Ohnaka (2)
• Ordnance Experts (4)
• Quad Laser Turrets (5)
• External Racks (3)
= 58 Points

Raider I (44)
• Ordnance Experts (4)
• Quad Laser Turrets (5)
• External Racks (3)
= 56 Points

Raider I (44)
• Ordnance Experts (4)
• Quad Laser Turrets (5)
• External Racks (3)
= 56 Points

Raider I (44)
• Ordnance Experts (4)
• Quad Laser Turrets (5)
• External Racks (3)
= 56 Points

Interdictor Suppression Refit (90)
• Grand Admiral Thrawn (32)
• Taskmaster Grint (5)
• Auxiliary Shields Team (3)
• Disposable Capacitors (3)
• G7-X Grav Well Projector (2)
• G-8 Experimental Projector (8)
• SW-7 Ion Batteries (5)
• Interdictor (3)
= 151 Points

Squadrons:
• VT-49 Decimator (22)
= 22 Points

Total Points: 399

Interesting. I'd just drop the Decimator for a Gozanti at that point, but it looks like it could be fun.

Why not Targeting Scramblers on the Dictor to toughen up whichever Raider is on its attack run?

Can you take us through the general plan with the fleet? What will thrawn's dials be giving you?

Couple of thoughts first though. Quad laser turrets aren't necessary for raider 1s. You have plenty of flak.

One of your raiders should have iden versio, and one should have corvus.

So the Interdictor Spams Engineering, keeping Thrawn alive. Thrawn meanwhile hands out Concentrate fire, when doing intel scan adding blue dice, otherwise raiders get more black. The raiders are "fire and forget", trying to get the VIP when playing that objective. Interdictor meanwhile slows enemy ships down, hondo gives some tokens, raiders also punish fighters, VT-49 provides some extra support.

I like raiders but I find them fragile due to their lack of redirect. I think that they don't pair well with the objective you referred to. You want blue dice, maybe red. How about 3 raider II with disposable Capacitors ?

I also like Thrawn, particularly with CF but I don't think that you will find it easy to reliably get 5 good CF uses out if your ships on the same turn.

That's just my feeling.

Consider Heavy Ion Emplacements on the Interdictor.

Thanks for the feedback!

Here's a possibility.

Name: Untitled Fleet Faction: Imperial

Commander: Grand Admiral Thrawn Assault: Defense: Navigation:

Interdictor Suppression Refit (90) • Grand Admiral Thrawn (32) • Taskmaster Grint (5) •

Projection Experts (6) •

Disposable Capacitors (3) •

G7-X Grav Well Projector (2) •

G-8 Experimental Projector (8) •

Heavy Ion Emplacements (9) • Interdictor (3) = 158 Points

Raider II (48) • Iden Versio (6) • Disposable Capacitors (3) • SW-7 Ion Batteries (5) = 62 Points

Raider II (48) • Disposable Capacitors (3) • SW-7 Ion Batteries (5) = 56 Points

Raider II (48) • Disposable Capacitors (3) • SW-7 Ion Batteries (5) • Corvus (2) = 58 Points

Raider II (48) • Disposable Capacitors (3) • SW-7 Ion Batteries (5) = 56 Points Squadrons: = 0 Points Total Points: 390

You are squadless, but since 1 Decimator probably wouldn't slow down an enemy fighter wing, I got rid of it. You have your 4 raiders, and one has Iden Versio.

The Interdictor has Projection Experts. This can let you throw 2 shields to one of your raiders which will definitely help to keep them alive.

Finally the whole fleet is built around blue dice to let you exploit particular objectives.

10 point bid to help guarantee that you get 2nd player.

Edited by flatpackhamster

Going off the original list, what I'd personally do is;

Drop the decimator - 1 on it's own isn't going to do much, & you can get an initiative bid that way (which you'll want for raiders (especially raider 1's))

Speaking of the raiders, I'd keep 2 as raider 1's, and switch the other two over to raider II. Gives you a bit more flexibility on engagement range since raider II can benefit from disposable capacitors.

Quad laser turrets are probably not needed, you can free those points up for something else.

I think the only change I'd want to make to the interdictor is to swap out the G-8 for a targeting scrambler. That's gonna help your raiders survive a bit better, & the speed shenanigans on the G-8 i find to be a bit overcosted.

Don't know if I like the navigation objective. Without squadrons you might find your opponent has a far better time making attacks against the rear than you do. I'd prefer to see something like Salvage run, sensor net, or dangerous territory, to leverage the mobility of the raiders better.

On 10/20/2020 at 2:06 PM, Bravo Null said:

Hey, could you please give me some feedback on this fleet?

Assault: Close-Range Intel Scan
Defense: Capture the VIP
Navigation: Superior Positions

Raider I (44)
• Hondo Ohnaka (2)
• Ordnance Experts (4)
• Quad Laser Turrets (5)
• External Racks (3)
= 58 Points

Raider I (44)
• Ordnance Experts (4)
• Quad Laser Turrets (5)
• External Racks (3)
= 56 Points

Raider I (44)
• Ordnance Experts (4)
• Quad Laser Turrets (5)
• External Racks (3)
= 56 Points

Raider I (44)
• Ordnance Experts (4)
• Quad Laser Turrets (5)
• External Racks (3)
= 56 Points

Interdictor Suppression Refit (90)
• Grand Admiral Thrawn (32)
• Taskmaster Grint (5)
• Auxiliary Shields Team (3)
• Disposable Capacitors (3)
• G7-X Grav Well Projector (2)
• G-8 Experimental Projector (8)
• SW-7 Ion Batteries (5)
• Interdictor (3)
= 151 Points

Squadrons:
• VT-49 Decimator (22)
= 22 Points

Total Points: 399

That Decimator is fine against a squadless enemy, but against anyone with even a token fighter force, you’re just giving 22 points away. Exchange it for a Gozanti with Officer Vader and Comms Net or something.

Alternatively, slim down those over-upgraded Raiders. Drop the Quad Laser Turrets. Maybe even drop a whole Raider. Then take the ~70 points you saved and actually make a real fighter screen of non-unique TIEs or a few solid Rogue aces or something.

Also, Superior Positions is terrible without squadrons. Any kind of bomber wing will just abuse the **** out of the objective and BURY you in victory tokens. Hard pass.

Edited by Cpt ObVus