Playable Monkey Lizard (seriously)

By thinkbomb, in Game Masters

so ... I'm introducing my siblings to the game. For pretty much all of them this is their first Tabletop RPG, so I have to play far more to "spirit of the law" to make sure they have a good time (expectations/reality, etc).

So the first one decides he wants a Hutt Ninja. I told him he'd be hilariously terrible at the required rolls and he's loving that this Hutt has vain ambitions for something he can't possibly pull off.

Next brother up ... basically asks for a Rocket Raccoon Monkey-Lizard.
- I tried shooting this one down, because sentience is kinda required for player characters
- then the first brother pipes up with lore dives regarding Dr Ezevan and his creepy experiments ... using that as solid justification for "why wouldn't he create a sentient monkey lizard with a thing for big guns?"
- so ... they won. I fear what the other 2 will bring to the table now.

Being said, I noticed a distinct lack of Monkey Lizards in both the official and fan made reference materials for playable character stats.

Any advice? Do I just dig up the stats for a normal monkey lizard (assuming there's stats) NPC and give the player extra XP to make up for the difference?

That. Is. Awesome.

There are Kowakian monkey-lizard stats in FLT: 142422
The other relevant bits are Silhouette 0 and Ambushers.

Here's what I'd suggest for a playable species:
Characteristics: 132321
WT: 8+Br
ST: 9+Will
Special Abilities: Ambusher*, Silhouette 0, 1 rank in Stealth or Skulduggery
XP: 95

*Ambusher, modified version of base ability: "Before rolling to determine initiative, select a target. That target adds 2 Setback to their initiative check and all checks made to avoid surprise or notice traps for the remainder of the encounter."

@thinkbomb your siblings are dicks, and I salute them for it. 🤣

Thanks everyone ^^ very much appreciated.

Roasted Monkey Lizard, Yummm!

A Hutt Ninja and a SuperRobotMonkeyLizardHyperFORCEGo PCs? Yeah, run it like a Saturday Morning cartoon for now

They can always choose new PCs for a more 'serious' SW game :)

17 minutes ago, DidntFallAsleep66 said:

A Hutt Ninja and a SuperRobotMonkeyLizardHyperFORCEGo PCs? Yeah, run it like a Saturday Morning cartoon for now

They can always choose new PCs for a more 'serious' SW game :)

other members wer a jawa demolitionist, and a slightly cunning gamorrean raised on Canto Bight (fancied himself a ritzy gambler)

A serious campaign absolutely would never happen with this group. (I have another group that is slightly more sane that I can do that with) Simply put, us brothers all share a grim satirical morbid sense of humor that comes naturally. As much as we understand good drama, unhinged creative chaos just comes more naturally.

ergo with this group, even if they had more reasonable characters, the only viable approach to quest design would be playing the missions as absolutely straight faced as possible. i.e. set up a china shop with a big red button that they shouldn't push ... and let the bulls loose.

/////////

and yeah, thanks again all. Quest went off great. I had the group audition for a skullduggery merc guild ... and their mission was to retrieve a rumored buried pirate treasure from some random remote system (imps started setting up a base nearby, and if the imps didn't find it, the eventual rebel insurgents would).
naturally, the "random system" was Endor circa ABY 0.5 (they got excited) ... and the players ended up getting chased by hungry ewok swarms ala horror film in a harrowing escape with the ship.

Edited by thinkbomb

oh yeah ... the hutt player CONSISTENTLY passed every stealth check I threw at him, even with 2 reds and 8 purples. His idiot's luck was unstoppable ... which was absolutely hilarious as he justified just how in the crap this stuff kept happening.

... monkey failed everything, by contrast, which was also hilarious.

Edited by thinkbomb