Ship total: 34 Half Points: 17 Threshold: 2

Baron of the Empire (28)
Proton Rockets (6)

Baron of the Empire (28)
Proton Rockets (6)

Total: 192

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v8ZsZ200Z179X127WWY172XWW102Y172XWW102Y172XWW102Y172XWW102&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

Things I like about it:

• The Barons are great blockers against aces and the Proton Rockets can help you take advantage of the blocks when you get them
  • So far, I've got to use the Proton Rockets pretty regularly, and although they're only one charge, they help you get ahead in any damage race.
  • I have to be very cagey with Soontir, but it's neat having a threat to enemy aces who's likely moving after them
  • It's a very maneuverable, fast list

8 points is probably overkill on the bid, but I'm not sure what to do with it. Any suggestions?

Targeting computer on Soontir and you're gold. And switch to crack shot.

Edited by KingmanHighborn

Yes to TC also. I know I'm in a minority with this, but Daredevil Soontir is the king of cagey Soontirs.

Just... I think the 8pt bid is not overkill at all....

59 minutes ago, KingmanHighborn said:

Targeting computer on Soontir

26 minutes ago, Cuz05 said:

Yes to TC also

I've not flown a lot of Soontir so I need selling on this. It seems to me that TC is only significantly better than Predator when I don't get bullseye, and then why wouldn't I just take focus? Unless the corner case of I have bullseye on one thing but want to shoot something different?

32 minutes ago, eljms said:

I've not flown a lot of Soontir so I need selling on this. It seems to me that TC is only significantly better than Predator when I don't get bullseye, and then why wouldn't I just take focus? Unless the corner case of I have bullseye on one thing but want to shoot something different?

When you disengage, have no shots incoming or outgoing, you can take a lock. Also if you have the bullseye full reroll + focus is better than 1 reroll + focus.

Targeting Computer - This is the way

Looks like a fun list.

Also, try Daredevil on Soontir. Changes your entire way of flying him. Never again, do you need to fly into combat, until you are good and ready and sure they are not turning entire squad into you. Makes him much harder to block as well when you dont need to 2 turn that your opponent will try and block, now you can 2 or 3 straight, or even 2 bank away, then DD towards combat. I've gone entire tournaments without ever losing Soontir.

Have you thought about making two of the Barons like Saber Interceptors? A couple i4 3 dice guns?

2 hours ago, wurms said:

Have you thought about making two of the Barons like Saber Interceptors?

No, not thought about it tbh, I started out with Barons w/ prockets and then picked Soontir to fill the points gap.

I guess on the plus side you have I4 rather than I3, and a regular 3 dice gun.

On the negative side it's two points more and more fragile (three hull v. two hull / two shields). You also miss out on the spike damage of the prockets.

2 hours ago, wurms said:

Targeting Computer - This is the way

*says submissively* "This is the way "

... (meanwhile head continues to think, but with Predator I can double reposition and get double mods ...)

1 hour ago, eljms said:

.. (meanwhile head continues to think, but with Predator I can double reposition and get double mods ...)

(...But not with Daredevil....)

Wurms said what I'd say. Except the bit about going whole tournaments without losing him.

Edited by Cuz05
But also, Predator is good ofc.
2 hours ago, eljms said:

No, not thought about it tbh, I started out with Barons w/ prockets and then picked Soontir to fill the points gap.

Looks like a really fun list overall. Proton Rocket Barons are kinda sweet. Soontir is Soontir. How folks run their Soontir is like how they take their coffee (I think I'd probably just run Predator, like a boring old double-double).

On 10/19/2020 at 11:00 AM, eljms said:

Another thing worth mentioning are the turns where you can lock into reposition for the bullseye to get TL+Focus.

I like flying this. Proton Rockets came down which frees up another four points. I could just put marksmanship on each Baron and leave it as was, but I can fit Vader instead of Soontir if I'm willing to a) fly him without afterburners, and b) give up most of the bid.

Vader worth it in this circumstance?

2 hours ago, eljms said:

Vader worth it in this circumstance?

Er.... um..... nearly?

I think I just spend more on Soontir. I'd be tempted to push it up to 195 with Outmanouevre and TC. Risky, bid wise, but that's a very painful Soontir.

44 minutes ago, Cuz05 said:

I'd be tempted to push it up to 195 with Outmanouevre and TC

Or maybe now's the time to try daredevil and targeting computer? I'm still not sold on this as strictly better than plain old predator, but I should probably at least try it :)

11 hours ago, eljms said:

Or maybe now's the time to try daredevil and targeting computer? I'm still not sold on this as strictly better than plain old predator, but I should probably at least try it :)

If I fly interceptors I staple Targeting Computer & Daredevil to them. Sometimes I add Stealth Device to them as well.

I like how points changes have resulted in changing Predator to Crack Shot and adding Targeting Computer have resulted in the same 8-point bid as the OP.

I prefer Daredevil and TC Soontir too. The case against crack shot is, while it’s great, it works better with multiple CS’s. If Soontir can boost 90 degrees, avoid arcs and still get his focus, that’s the gravy.

For Soontir, not getting shot>Shooting better. He should get plenty of opportunities to lay in the fire.