Does Seeking Anwser (2) give you 2 clues or 3 clues?

By Lily Chen, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

I was hoping someone here can clarify whether or not you get 2 clues or 3 clues from Seeking Answers (2). Unlike Seeking Answers (0) which has the word "instead," which replace the the succeed effect; the level 2 version says"if you succeed" like a lot of Rogue cards, and that would imply that you get 3 clues altogether if you succeed. I ask this, because I've seen this question in a lot of other places and the answer seems to be unclear, and I was hoping someone here would know. Here's both the level 0 version and the level 2 version:

Seeking Answers Seeking Answers

Matthew Newman (lead designer) answered this question on the Mythos Busters' discord recently.

I'll bring it up with JZ since that's one of his cards, but I'm fairly certain the intent is that "2 total clues" is meant to be an adjustment from the usual 1 clue, not in addition to it. But you're right that it's not 100% clear

Generally speaking, actions marked by an action designator modify the base action in the manner presented . Usually the modification is pretty obvious, like "+1 damage," or "instead of X, do Y." But sometimes it's unclear. We'll try to make sure to address that in the future

So, 2 clues pending a more definitive ruling.

I agree with 2 clues. Otherwise, the upgraded version would say "discover 2 additional clues...," or something to that effect.

16 hours ago, TwiceBorn said:

I agree with 2 clues. Otherwise, the upgraded version would say "discover 2 additional clues...," or something to that effect.

Not necessarily. Unless it's a replacement effect (e.g. Burglary) you still get the base result of the action. Deciphered Reality is a good example of additional effects. As it's written, Seeking Answers (2) should give you one clue from your location for investigate, plus 2 more (just like Deciphered Reality).

I'm always happy to take clarifications like that, but I actually disagree with Matt that it's unclear. The wording is pretty much exactly in line with Deciphered Reality. It may not do what they intended it to do, but as it's written it's perfectly clear :)

I would definitely say the intent is two clues. The inclusion of the word 'total', to me, suggests that 2 is the maximum you can get from this event. There is definite room for interpretation, though, so I can see a case for 3...but the '2 total clues' would suggest that this is not really the case as otherwise that would make the word 'total' redundant. Having said that, I still think the phrase 'discover 2 total clues' is a bit clunky syntactically speaking...it should say 'discover 2 clues in total'.

7 hours ago, Dr Dee said:

I would definitely say the intent is two clues. The inclusion of the word 'total', to me, suggests that 2 is the maximum you can get from this event. There is definite room for interpretation, though, so I can see a case for 3...but the '2 total clues' would suggest that this is not really the case as otherwise that would make the word 'total' redundant. Having said that, I still think the phrase 'discover 2 total clues' is a bit clunky syntactically speaking...it should say 'discover 2 clues in total'.

"2 total clues" would refer to that specific effect. Unless it's a replacement effect (instead) then it doesn't do anything to change the base effect of the action. I suspect "total" is included to help clarify that it's not 2 clues per location.

The right way to do this would be to have followed the template on the basic Seeking Answers - " If you succeed, instead of discovering a clue at your location, discover 2 total clues from among your location and connecting locations."

Agreed. I really think that is the intention of the card. They just didn't make the wording clear. As I said 'discover 2 total clues' doesn't make any sense, semantically, as it is sort of implying that there is such a thing as a non-total clue (as 'total' can be read as an adjective here)...a half clue, perhaps, which is, of course, not a thing. I just think they didn't spend enough time making the wording precise and clear but would be surprised if they came back and clarified that it allows the discovery of 3 clues rather than 2. As with everything in this co-op game, though, read it as you see it as it's your game...and the Mythos will get you in the end whatever you do.

Given the clarification from Matt I don't think there's any question of what the card's meant to do, and I'm fine playing it as such. Just saying that the wording isn't actually unclear, it just doesn't do what they intended :)