Make it succeed! (Opportunity for Success)

By Batonian, in Houserules

Hello!

A houserule idea came to my mind about (the great evil) Opportunity-usage in my games:
I'm getting used to "Yes, but..." resolution mechanism in some rpgs like Fate or PbtA. Somehow I missed this thing in L5R5E. Both Successes and Opportunities grant positive outcomes for the players thats too much positiveness for me as a GM 👹 (On the top of that GM's minions generally don't use Opp.)
What if...

Opportunities could be spent to turn unsuccessfull actions to success with a cost (some **** happens).
2 Opps for 1 Scc.

-or-

Some Opps for the minimal amount of Scc needed above the rolled. And for every missed Scc it puts the player in a more more serious trouble.

What do you think?

discl.: Yeah, I hate that Opp-table at the end. One of my problem is that official rules connect Opps to the PCs too much. Usually I try to connect Opportunities to scenes and the story, giving the players unique choices in that particular situation rather than general ones.

Well, mostly, opps are something to flesh out a roll more or even provide some “fail forward” if the player does not succeed in their roll. But giving the chance of spending 2-3 OPPS as a success is not broken. Maybe just really, really expensive.

Edited by Diogo Salazar
2-3 OPPS, not 23