horseback fighting

By Nagasadow81, in Rules Questions

Has anyone ever made rules on fighting on horseback? Should the TN increase?

Riding is covered in the survival skill, so would a survival roll be necessary to move closer to your target?

Any thoughts?

Page 326 covers that for you.

Mounts and Riding
While it is being ridden during a conflict, a
mount does not take a turn of its own, and
provides the following benefits to its rider:
$$ When the rider succeeds on a Movement
action check, add bonus successes
equal to the mount's Water Ring.
$$ The rider may use their Survival skill in
place of their Fitness skill for any Fitness
check they make.
During narrative and downtime scenes,
a mounted character doubles their overland
travel speed.

I do agree this book has horrible organization and layout. I mean, go to page 268, titled Harm and Healing and read it to the end tell me where does it say how hard and how long does it take to heal someone? Trick question: You won't find it in there.

ok wow, I totally missed that. So it is a rule for movement using the survival ring. I guess I was wondering if someone had an advantage for having experience riding on a horse, then that would reflect in a technique.

Attacking on horseback is therefore resolved as normal. If the attacker is on horseback and his opponent is not, maybe rule that he cannot attack with melee unless he performs a guard action or can somehow move faster than the horse because of terrain obstacles, etc..

Well, you missed the fact that lots of kata count as an Attack AND movement action so that would be covered by the horse providing bonus success equal to their Water Ring (if the rider succeeds) and the rider doesn’t need to be on Water Stance either.

Edited by Diogo Salazar

ah, yes. thanks. Im still getting used to the rules. My gaming group get into skirmish conflicts once every three sessions on average so the complexities of the combat rules arent cemented in my head yet.

7 hours ago, Nagasadow81 said:

I guess I was wondering if someone had an advantage for having experience riding on a horse, then that would reflect in a technique.

There are a handful of effects that benefit mounted combatants.

• Unicorn Characters specifically
    • Heroic Charge adds bonus successes to attacks equal to the number of range bands moved. Being on a horse, you move faster and hence hit harder.
    • An Utaku steed's Paragon of Horses means it gives skilled assistance to its rider on martial skill checks (technically not Unicorn characters only but if you're not they're probably going to want it back!)
    • Born in the Saddle lets you once-per-scene reduce the TN of a check where your horse can assist - a mounted strike is a credible example
  • Generic
    • Advantages such as Animal Bond are reasonable to trigger when fighting from horseback
    • A mounted combatant adds add bonus successes equal to the mount's Water Ring to movement actions. Notice that some melee attacks have the type "movement and attack action" and hence are going to get this benefit - Heartpiercing Strike is a good example of this; a charging lancer on a Unicorn Warhorse using the kata will land a critical strike of a deadliness 6 instead of deadliness 3 with a yari due to being mounted.
    • Path of Waves includes a few mounted combat-specific Kata - Rider's Haste and Thunderous Hooves style. The latter includes the potential to make occasional attacks with the horses' own stats.
10 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

There are a handful of effects that benefit mounted combatants.

• Unicorn Characters specifically
    • Heroic Charge adds bonus successes to attacks equal to the number of range bands moved. Being on a horse, you move faster and hence hit harder.

Thanks for pointing out Heroic Charge, another place that proves that the duels rule don’t worry about distance and position.