Black Cat Theory Crafting

By Duciris, in Marvel Champions: The Card Game

No, this is not the thread where I request Black Cat as a playable character (which I desperately want). We're talking about Spider-Man's signature ally.

Yesterday I finally played Spider-Man with Leadership (outside of the core set). With just the attached, I got her reliably dealing 4+ damage each turn. Honorary Avenger isn't need (yet) but allow her to play nice with the Avenger's Tower, but it will become necessary after Ant-Man releases.

01002.png 01074.png 04015.jpg 03025.png Team Training 04022.jpg

See, Ant-Man is coming with:

• Reinforced Suit [Protection, $1, "Attach to an ally. Max 1 per ally. Attached ally gets +2 hit points."]
  • Power Glove [Protection, $1, "Attach to an AVENGER ally. Max 1 per ally. Response: After attached ally attacks or thwarts, deal 1 damage to an enemy."]

The Reinforced Suit is only needed as a security blanket for her but Power Glove, oh heck yes! It jumps her to 3 damage per activation (1 of which can be at a separate target or target with Retaliate) and she'll have 2 or more activations per turn. That's 6 damage, each turn, without spending cards or resources!

She's making me think I might start running Get Ready [Basic, $0, " Action: Ready an ally."] again.

Edited by Duciris

Interesting although you have to be careful when your whole deck supports only a single character that may show up late to the party.

7 minutes ago, IceHot42 said:

Interesting although you have to be careful when your whole deck supports only a single character that may show up late to the party.

Very true, though Leadership has plenty of other good Allies to fill the gaps until Felicia shows up. In particular, Goliath and Iron Man are tailor-made for doing the same sort of thing. I agree with OP that Team Training and Reinforced Suit aren't me as necessary for her in particular since she's more suited to attacking, though they'll help when facing Concussive Blast, Thunderball, and indirect damage, or provide you with more cushion to thwart with her if needed.

As for a Black Cat hero, I'd love to see her with a hero power or a number of hero cards that involve milling a card from your deck or the encounter deck for extra effect, a la Hulk Ally and/or that one Scarlet Witch card that counts boost icons. I loved her first card in Vs. System since it did similar things. ;)

I'm not clear on why you would use Black Cat for this. Spider Woman can basically run the best version of one ally voltron by being able to run both Leadership and Protection by herself, and having literally the best ally in the game for this purpose (Captain Marvel).

Actually drawing your target ally isn't a huge deal. Even if you run no card draw, you can still be guaranteed to go through your entire deck in 4 turns if you push for it.

6 hours ago, HamHamJ2 said:

I'm not clear on why you would use Black Cat for this. Spider Woman can basically run the best version of one ally voltron by being able to run both Leadership and Protection by herself, and having literally the best ally in the game for this purpose (Captain Marvel).

Actually drawing your target ally isn't a huge deal. Even if you run no card draw, you can still be guaranteed to go through your entire deck in 4 turns if you push for it.

Black Cat because she doesn't take damage for attacking. Otherwise she's the worst at attacking with a stat of 1.

And yes, I play Dragon.

So you meant you played leadership not protection?

i was confused at first how you got 4 damage per turn using protection

17 minutes ago, Ywingscum said:

So you meant you played leadership not protection?

i was confused at first how you got 4 damage per turn using protection

Haha. Yeah, Leadership. I do that a lot.

19 hours ago, Duciris said:

Honorary Avenger isn't need (yet)

SkyCycle requires Honorary Avenger to work on her or Wong.

26 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

SkyCycle requires Honorary Avenger to work on her or Wong.

Well touché. I drop it on her for Avengers Tower as is, but good to know (remember?).

3 hours ago, Duciris said:

Black Cat because she doesn't take damage for attacking. Otherwise she's the worst at attacking with a stat of 1.

And yes, I play Dragon.

I forgot she does that.

On 10/13/2020 at 2:22 AM, HamHamJ2 said:

ally voltron

I haven't gotten around to trying it yet, but Ally Voltron (glad the name has stuck) has been something I've been looking forward to (probably since Vision... VOLTron!). We're definitely getting a lot of tools for it now. Spider-Woman of course works being able to add another Aspect (Protection for Med Teams, Aggression for another Upgrade in Enraged), but Black Cat is a good consideration for the style, too, being (thus far) unique in lacking consequential damage (for ATK).

good part about this is it works well beyond Black Cat. Throw a few cheap allies in (or expensive if you are playing someone like Black Panther which of course would remove Black Cat from the equation) and it really works well to get allies being, if anything, more powerful than the hero themselves.