Vision of the Palantir: Two Player Quests

By RedSpiderr, in The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

“I also advise this: do not go alone. Take such friends as are trusty and willing.“

The road is long and perilous, and none have the strength to survive by themselves. For in these times, the bonds of friendship forged in the fires of adversity shall prove the strongest. But where should you go, to which quests ought you turn? Here are a few suggestions for quests that are particularly suited for two players.

https://visionofthepalantir.com/2020/10/08/two-player-quests/

I only recently bought the Nightmare decks (all of them!!!), and have thus far only played the Core and Mirkwood NM decks one-handed solo, progression-style. Beating NM Conflict at the Carrock was an awesome challenge. I can only imagine how fun it might be 2-player.

Some day I'll play it 2-handed, as, alas, I have no one to play this particular game with.

That is an excellent buy, well done sir! I’d definitely recommend two-handed play, and I hope to cover tips for that in a future article

3 hours ago, RedSpiderr said:

That is an excellent buy, well done sir! I’d definitely recommend two-handed play, and I hope to cover tips for that in a future article

The way I play is full cycle progression one deck solo, then the same cycle again progression two-handed... or vice versa. That's why it's taking me so long to play through my collection (not to mention I also collect the Arkham Horror LCG, and have a vast library of games vying for my attention)!

A few cycles/years later, I then return to play an earlier cycle's NM versions, both one-handed and two-handed solo. By the time I come back to them, I've forgotten everything (my memory is crap), so it's like everything is new again! 🤪

All this to say... great blog post!!!

Edited by TwiceBorn

Great read! Thank you for sharing and really enjoyed and agreed with your quest selection. About the only ones I think are missing is Epic multiplayer mode Mount Doom/Black Gate for the awesome combo of working to buy your companion time to achieve your quests goal. And maybe Murder at the Prancing Pony for the fun of trying to guess together who is the guilty party (plus if you have different opinions it’s even more fun as you can blame the other person if they get it wrong haha).

Is there one for 3 and 4 player quests too?

7 hours ago, General_Grievous said:

Is there one for 3 and 4 player quests too?

We are making plans on releasing those in the future. Working our way through the various player counts, so I suppose 3 player would be next. Redspiderr does have a lot of projects though, so we cannot say for certain when it will be released, but you'll certainly see the promotion of the article once it gets published.

Awesome great work guys!

Very informative article! I'm also looking forward to the 3-player article as that is mostly what I play. Any preliminary thoughts?

In hindsight, I'm kind of surprised that The Thing in the Depths made the 2-player cut over A Storm on Cobas Haven, which I found was a far more tense and epic-feeing experience.

On 10/11/2020 at 11:11 PM, alcuin18 said:

Very informative article! I'm also looking forward to the 3-player article as that is mostly what I play. Any preliminary thoughts?

No major spoilers yet I’m afraid, but I’m glad you’ve enjoyed the series so far! I will say there are a handful of quests that seem specifically designed for 3 players, including one with that number in it’s title

On 10/13/2020 at 2:59 AM, TwiceBorn said:

In hindsight, I'm kind of surprised that The Thing in the Depths made the 2-player cut over A Storm on Cobas Haven, which I found was a far more tense and epic-feeing experience.

Storm on Cobas Haven is an excellent pick, but I’ve found it can work with multiple levels of player numbers. Thing in the Depths though is designed as a much more close-set encounter, being set entirely within one ship. Keep an eye open for Storm in future articles however...