Do bless and curse tokens stay in the chaos bag between scenarios?

By Sc00ter1979, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

I can't figure this out anywhere, so my gut says I leave them in there?

(also **** it took me three tries to complete the first scenario with an 'easy' chaos bag they're not kidding around in innsmouth)

It is hard to reach R1. Though I'm fine with that thematically and other things in scenario 1 matter more than the resolution you reach IMO. My issue reaching R1 is they made an evasion strategy pretty difficult in this scenario. They gave you alot of room to run around, but they also gave the majority of the enemies 4 agility (and alot of enemies come out). It does feel like a desperate chase around the caverns, but if you wanna evade everyone you better have a 5+ base in your agility stat or tons of foot icons in your deck. On the other hand it's pretty easy to fight most everything in the scenario so if you get a weapon out and there are only a couple 3 health enemies to deal with in the deck. So it was interesting playing Trish since I needed to use her ability often to auto evade, but eventually I ran out of clues on locations toward the late game and she ran into trouble since my deck had few other native ways to boost her evade above her base (I was assuming that ability would do the heavy lifting).

Usually when something is added to the chaos bag it stays there unless directed to remove it. I had assumed the Blessed and Cursed tokens would clean out at the end of a scenario, but I don't see anything in their rules that tell you to do that.

Edited by phillos

No they are removed. This has been confirmed by Matt Newman

thanks Villefere!

(@phillos - I'm running Amanda Sharpe, with an easy chaos bag even though I usually play standard because I figured doing solo seeker would be tough. But my first two goes I was dead by round three and decided to just start over before I got into a rut for the rest of the campaign. But on attempt #3 I managed to get one flashback and resolve my solution/grimoire/dream diary needs - then realized I cheated because I wasn't drawing another token every time i drew a bless or curse. whoops)

5 hours ago, Villefere said:

No they are removed. This has been confirmed by Matt Newman

Sounds like a given for the FAQ/errata document, if it currently isn't clear.

I think it's not clear. I was clearing them out but I was assuming things that weren't written in the rules. I could easily see someone going the other way with it.

15 hours ago, phillos said:

I think it's not clear. I was clearing them out but I was assuming things that weren't written in the rules. I could easily see someone going the other way with it.

I've taken a look at the specific wording in the Innsmouth campaign guide, along with the rules reference, and I can't see anything that would explicitly direct you to remove them. If I hadn't seen this thread, I think my default response would've been that they get left in, just like any other change that is made to the Chaos bag due to scenario intro/outro effects.

I'm pretty sure all the previous token additions include "for the remainder of the campaign".

It's not a matter of being directed to remove them from the bag since the chaos bag is technically set up at the beginning of each scenario, but the RR specifically says:

=In campaign mode, use the chaos bag as it was composed upon completion of the previous scenario.

That would imply that they remain. The rules for Bless/Curse says:

By default, the chaos bag does not include any Bless or Curse tokens.

I do think this takes precedence over the "as it was composed" part, basically saying that when you build a bag it doesn't include any Bless/Curse even if they were there at the end of the previous scenario. It could definitely be worded to be clearer and more in line with the RR ("When constructing the chaos bag at the beginning of a scenario, never add Bless/Curse tokens") but I don't think the wording is outright contradictory to removing them.

You may be right that all previous token additions included the "for the remainder..." text, which definitely makes the bag state explicit. Certainly I can't find a contradictory example in my short search.

38 minutes ago, phillos said:

You may be right that all previous token additions included the "for the remainder..." text, which definitely makes the bag state explicit. Certainly I can't find a contradictory example in my short search.

I think I saw one in one of the scenarios for TFA, but that was also combined with removing some other tokens, which may be slightly different.